All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Ok whats going on?

hansolo77

So I've been kinda out of the game (pun intended) for awhile with health issues and real life problems. A recent chit-chat over in Social got me interested in maybe doing some more troubleshooting to get PS2 emulation working. Anyway, I decided tonight to real quick load up GameEx and try my hand at this month's GOTM competition for high scores. Well.. everything was out of date, so GameEx updated. Now I can browse all the games, etc like before. That part works. When I try to load the game up though, all I get is a general failure that MAME crashed. Close that window and it takes me back to GameEx. I tried loading up another game that I KNOW works (I have a score posted for it already), and the ROM loaded, but as soon as I closed it, MAME crashed again. Is there any logs or anything MAME creates that I can look at to try and figure out why it keeps crashing? Am I maybe just overdue for an upgrade to MAME and it's ROMs? I hate the idea of going through the whole process again when I know my current version was working last time I played with it.

Have you tried launching this with the basic MAME launcher?

What's your GPU? I don't know how long it's been since you played, but nvidia has had a couple updates recently.

Are you overclocking?

<edit>

have you checked the windows event log

The most recent GameEx update addressed a problem with Steam, so I don't think that would break MAME

Yes, when I do it through MAME directly, it also crashes.. thats why I looked for a log.

GPU is an nVidia GTS 250, I haven't done any driver updates in a LONG time..

I'm not overclocking anything.

I did discover a way to enable logging in MAME, when I did, this is what I get:

Physical width 1920, height 1080Soft reset'maincpu' (BFC001C4): unmapped program memory write to 1F801000 = 1F000000 & FFFFFFFF

Bad memory? I'm gonna try a system reset to see if that solves it.

Also, after I enable the error logging, I was able to play the game through MAME directly. Once I did it through GameEx though, it crashed it again.

Update: Reboot didn't help.

Hmm, I'm not help on that error message. I've had memory suddenly crap out, but it results in overall complete system instability, not selective applications. That looks like something at the application level, if I was to take a WAG.

Still, you could run torture test from prime95 on it and see if perhaps a DIMM is failing. The test built in to Windows 7 has failed me to many times to trust it anymore, but it's already there if you are running that os.

Maybe reinstall the version of MAME your running again and make sure it didn't somehow get corrupt.

My system is unbelievably stable, and lots of other roms are too.. its just the Tetris Grand Master one that does this. Might it possibly have something to do with GameEx hiding the desktop?

Oh, I thought you meant any ROM crashed.

Perhaps it's just a ROM that doesn't play well with that particular version of MAME.

If your system is that stable, yeah, most likely not a ram problem.

Edited by tthurman