All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Know a good simple keyboard remaping program?

m1rock

Hi all! I was wondering if someone could suggest to me simple keyboard remapping program I can use with gameex. I got a tankstick in my cab and anyone familiar with the tankstick knows that the controls for it are mapped to the keyboard. Only problem is certain emulators only work with certain control schemes which means I have to currently flip dip switches to make it work with certain emulators and programs. Thats a total hassle because this thing is mounted in my cabinet and X-Arcade in their infinite wisdom decided to mount the dip switches on the BACK of the tankstick meaning I half to pull the entire control panel out, flip the switch to change controls then wedge it back in there. Is there a simple keymapper I can tell gameex to launch so I can avoid physically flipping the switches on the tankstick and then have it just temporarily reassign keys and then close when I exit the game? So like say I launch my taito collection from gameex the insert coin button maps to f1 rather then 1 and then goes back to 1 when I exit? I dont mine paying money for the program either as long as it suits my needs. Appreciate any and all suggestions!

Does the tankstick output key presses? i.e. if you open notepad and then push right - does a letter get typed?

If so, Xpadder won't do it. For some reason, it doesn't remap keystrokes to other keystrokes. However, if registers as game controller, you should be peachy.

Had lots of fun and games with this a month ago when trying to map my minipac outputs (keyboard presses) to various emulators. It's more complicated than it should be.

It depends on the emulator you're trying to set up for. Each uses different input types (not sure of dets but something like sendkeys/dinput/raw).

For some emus, just using the advanced emulator config option will remap your tankstick keys to the desired emu key (for e.g. open up advanced config - choose the relevant remap tab - for 'from' press tankstick button/direction then for 'to' press key on keyboard)

This doesn't work for some emulators. For these trickier ones, I'd recommend autohotkey (AHK). There is a bit of learning to do, but i tried with other, simpler keymappers, but they didn't cut the mustard. Once you lick AHK, it'll prove very versatile in remaps.

Whilst not totally relevant, some info in this post might be helpful:

http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/14009-how-to-ahk-and-mapping-button-as-a-shift-button-to-double-your-keys/

hope this serves to help and not confuse the issue further!

Tootle-pip

• Like 3

The x-arcade tank stick does output key presses. I bought xpadder yesterday and was going to try and set it up today but went to check my message first and when you said that my heart just sank. So I guess I just wasted $10 eh? crap Ill look into your suggestions hopefully I can get this dog to hunt

I wouldn't consider it a waste as you may eventually want to connect a wireless gamepad (Xbox 360 controller for Windows is a frequent option) for use with those emulators that support it. There are many with cabs that use both a CP and wireless gamepads.

Advanced emulator config is probably the best option if you want to go strictly Tankstick.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So...trying to figure out auto hotkey...there sure is allot of stuff you can do with it...allot of stuff. I guess I should have listened better in computer science III right? :unsure: May I make a suggestion that gameex give users a easy keyboard remap option that works with individual emulators or program groups in the future? lol