All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

errrrr-ARRRRR-EEE-EEE-EEEE

Draco1962

A very nostalgic read from the era of the BBS. My BBS ran a few years before the author began as a tween. It was "The Wall BBS" running BBS Express Professional on an Atari 800XL (self-modded from 64K to 256K RAM) with a then blistering fast 2400BPS Sparta Modem, external 20MB HDD, 4 Astra Quad Density 5.25" floppy drives and 2 Atari 1050 5.25" floppy drives.

I still have my "notcher" for cutting out a security tab to allow me to write to the back side of the retail 5.25" floppies. Retail floppies of the time were sold as single-sided, but many of us learned quickly that they were actually double-sided and could be formatted and store data just as well as the "certified" side of the floppy.

Ahh, the good ol' days!

Heh my dad was a pirate back in those days, when I was just a youngin and unable to walk. He had 2 Atari 800's (no XL or anything) and had also self-modded the RAM upgrade. He used a hand held hole punch to put a notch in the 5.25 floppies. He had a (wow) 300BPS modem and would spend hours downloading a single game on his friend's pirate BBS. I remember when they started to emulate ANSI and you could get somewhat decent graphics on the door games. My favorite was Trade Wars 2002 (http://www.tradewars.com/default.html). For me, growing up in the house meant early exposure to computers, to which I'm happy to say makes me appear a lot smarter than most.

I ran "The Arena BBS" in Rhode Island on my 386/sx-33. It was primarily a gaming center and I ran it on WildCat! BBS software for about 2 years.

It was no Eagle's Nest BBS but I never had net feeds so I wasn't overly popular to the general public. I had quite a few users log in daily to play the doors I had set up. I remember LORD being one of the most popular games at the time on almost every BBS system I visited. :)

Ah the nostalgia... and those graphics! :P

156596-legend-of-the-red-dragon-dos-scre

We had a few local Wildcat BBSs here in Jacksonville, and one was called the Arena BBS. If I recall correctly, it had 4 dedicated lines and was one of the busiest BBSs in the area. Good times!