All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Introducing your forum moderators

Hansolo77 and GimmeClassics have been doing a great job keeping the Hi-Score Competition forum going and generating much interest within the community. Due to this fantastic work and to help them manage things even better, they have been elevated to Forum Moderators for the GameEx Hi-Score Competition Forum. Thanks, guys, for all you do!

• Like 3

Hansolo77 and GimmeClassics have been doing a great job keeping the Hi-Score Competition forum going and generating much interest within the community. Due to this fantastic work and to help them manage things even better, they have been elevated to Forum Moderators for the GameEx Hi-Score Competition Forum. Thanks, guys, for all you do!

Wow ! Thank you guys :)

A big thank you to everybody who has decided to make me and Han dedicated forum mods. This will really help managing our hi-score threads ! Much appreciated !

I've always been kind of an arcade-hi-score-junkie :blink:;) so it has been a great joy setting up our hi-score competition. To hear this is being appreciated motivates me even more to continue to manage, improve and promote this competition !! Congrats to Han too - being my hi-score partner-in-crime ;)

:ph34r: ....next personal goal: being promoted from Group "Members" to Group "Elite Member" .....LOL :P:ph34r:

Thanks for the promotion, again. I will do my best not to abuse the power. :) This should help with managing the threads a bit more by not being limited to updating the threads only YOU create. Our little corner of the forums are gaining popularity little by little, and this will go a long way to help make things even better.

You can also edit other people's posts (merging is useful if someone has multiple submissions). Lots of ways you can use your peers to make the competition even better! It's a really cool feature of GameEx, and you guys have definitely rolled up your sleeves and taken charge. You absolutely deserve this!

Now get to work! /me cracks whip

Well it's been a long time coming. I remember years ago we tried to get a hi-score competition type thing going, but nobody wanted to stick around long enough to actually DO the work. The hard part about this is going in and updating the OP's when a new score is made. It's not really hard, but more like a sense of urgency to get the updated scores up so people know where they are. Having somebody with moderator power to go in and edit somebody else's post makes it that much easier, because you don't have to rely on the topic creator to be the only one that can update the scores.

Also, I'd like to thank everybody for their kind words, and their active participation in the various game competitions. You're what makes the whole thing worth while and fun. We (GC and I) are only here to give you someplace to post what you've accomplished. Without your contributions, this would never have been as much a success as it is. We could still use more players though. We're averaging about 10 votes per month on the GOTM and about 6 score submissions per game. I KNOW we have more users out there. EVERYBODY can participate, so pass the word along! :)

• Like 2

...Also, I'd like to thank everybody for their kind words, and their active participation in the various game competitions. You're what makes the whole thing worth while and fun. We (GC and I) are only here to give you someplace to post what you've accomplished. Without your contributions, this would never have been as much a success as it is...

Well said Han !

I'd also like to thank everybody for their kind words. And please pass the word along. Like Han said: your contributions and active participation is what makes the whole thing worth while and fun :)

• Like 2

Some recommendations I will make so far as updating the scores to keep things manageable and reduce the urgency to update everything would be as follows:

- If updating daily, set a cut-off time, say 6 PM EST for submissions. If posted after 6 PM EST, then will be included in the next day's submission

- If weekly (which may be more sane IMO), set a day/time cut-off same as above, with only difference being the end of the month where the cut-off date may occur after the end of month

Again, just a suggestion and not a judgment of your handling of things. Both of you are doing an excellent job!

Some recommendations I will make so far as updating the scores to keep things manageable and reduce the urgency to update everything would be as follows:

- If updating daily, set a cut-off time, say 6 PM EST for submissions. If posted after 6 PM EST, then will be included in the next day's submission

- If weekly (which may be more sane IMO), set a day/time cut-off same as above, with only difference being the end of the month where the cut-off date may occur after the end of month

Again, just a suggestion and not a judgment of your handling of things. Both of you are doing an excellent job!

While i totally agree that there needs to be some sort of structure, my worry is that if you start to bring in deadlines and things then it all will start to become a chore, rather than something to enjoyable to participate in :)

Both Han and GC have been given pretty much free reign on this and i think they are doing a stellar job, adjusting things as they go. It's a new thing and as such will probably need some time to get the kinks ironed out -_- but as far as i am concerned, Han and GC got this sorted :P

Just my 2 cents and i agree with you Draco mostly ^-^

It's an idea for sure. Personally though, I'm leaning more towards Dazzle's reasoning. We're not THAT busy with tons of submissions a day. There's only been one or two days where we had a whole bunch, and that's because we created new games to submit to. Some days we don't have any submissions at all, while others we might have 1 or maybe 2. So it's not really an issue right now. If things start getting really busy around here, sure we may have to implement a deadline. But I think we're good right now.

As a side note; I'm getting more compliments here than I do at work. I hate my job. :(

As a side note; I'm getting more compliments here than I do at work. I hate my job. :(

But we only pay compliments, not $$, so find the love in whatever little aspects of the job if you can. That is why work is a "4 letter word." If it were fun, we wouldn't get paid. there are some, however, that are lucky to find a job they truly love and have fun doing it.

@Draco: thank you for sharing your thoughts about managing our hi-score threads. Any feedback is welcome !
But like Han said, it's quite managable right now ;)

Apart from that I actually like managing our threads. It's a daily routine checking the GameEx forum and updating the hi-score threads. So updating them on a daily basis is no problem at all. Even when it would start getting really busy.

I've always loved playing classic arcade games and competing for the best score among friends. I consider the GameEx community as a very friendly place and I really like to give something back to the community by managing our GameEx Hi-Score competition.....and playing our games of course ;)

Adultery has also created a Database Manager which allows me and Han to easily and quickly update the Hi-Score Database (feeding the Game Info Plugin) and RSS feed. I'm glad he has joined our ranks ;)

@Dazz: thank you for you kind words ! It will indeed need time to get certains thing ironed out. But I think me and Han have things sorted out at this point :)

@Han: I'm sorry to hear you don't really like your job. Like Draco said: "find the love in whatever little aspects of the job if you can"

Very few are lucky fo find a job they truly love. Having a job is just necessary to earn money and live your life. You just have to find those things (beside your job) that you enjoy and gives you satisfaction. I for that matter really like Arcade Classic Games and playing and compete amongst friends, online and offline. I really like the competition we have both setup. Just try to enjoy the little things and don't weigh to heavily on the negative sides of your job ;) More easily said than done perhaps, but so are most things. Don't worry, be happy :)

Like Draco said: "find the love in whatever you can"

Just try to enjoy the little things and don't weigh to heavily on the negative sides ;)

Don't worry, be happy :)

Hear hear to that!

Just to make note; I DID successfully update one of GC's threads yesterday, so I can confirm it works for me at least. Thanks go out to those who were responsible for providing us with the little more power to accomplish that!

Just to make note; I DID successfully update one of GC's threads yesterday, so I can confirm it works for me at least. Thanks go out to those who were responsible for providing us with the little more power to accomplish that!

I did successfully update one of Han's threads, so I can also confirm the moderator rights are working fine !

Thanks for confirming for us! The forum-specific moderator setup is simple, but not the same as applying a global "mask" as it is for the uber-moderator settings for all of the forums, so it was a bit of trial & error on my part to get it right (glad to see no error so far).

• 6 months later...

Please welcome our newest Hi-score competition moderator DazzleHP !!

Dazz offered to join our hi-score competition as a third backup HS mod. I've talked with Han about this and we both think this is a great idea, especially if we want to keep our hi-score competition running for many years. If any of us - due to whatever reason - doesn't have time or energy to update everything we always have two backups willing to save the day ;)

From the beginning Dazz has promoted the original idea of the GameEx Hi-score competition me and Han have started !! Plus he has skills we can definitely use: always willing to help out others and having quite a lot of knowledge about GameEx :) ...and most important: he's a nice person !

Welcome to the "HS Mod Clan" Dazz :D

• Like 2