All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Enable Bezels in Game Ex 2.5.6

rtkiii

I checked around online and I find 3 or 4 different topics pointing to different area..basic in 1, advanced in another.,..advanced page 2 in another...BLAH! But I canot seem to find it in my settings...I am sure I am missing it. Also I verified my mame.exe is set to use bvels = 1 and artpath is pointed to artwork or vise versa...any help would be appreciated

thanks,

Rich

i ended up doing a search in gameex setup wizard and found any bezel options...I think I have it...well enabes anyway...testing now

Hi rtkii.

You can enable a generic bezel through GameEx, but generally game specific bezels are enabled through MAME itself. You can locate the appropriate settings in game via the "Tab" Menu > Video Settings. Also note that not all games have bezels available (and it's all dependent on the artwork you have stored locally in your MAME artwork directory).

Since Im on a bezel kick lately...

for your bezel path your looking for,

it would actually be "artwork" path. \mame\artwork\

and make sure you have downloaded bezels "artwork" from MrDo or a pleasurable site and placed them in there.

[edit]

beat me to it!!

• Like 1

ok I checked 1943 zip file in my c:\emulators\artwork files\mame\artwork(Artwork files is where I download all my images and whatnot too for all emulators.) and I see the bezel file in there. But when I run it in gameex it shows a generic MAME Bezel...which is more than I had before but it could be cooler. As I mentioned above bezel is enabled in mame.ini and it says artpath = artwork. So I thought maybe since I am not using the standard locations I needed to change that to c:\emulators\artwork files\mame\artwork...but alas same result. I know i am close just not sure where to look.

Thanks

Hi rtkii.

You can enable a generic bezel through GameEx, but generally game specific bezels are enabled through MAME itself. You can locate the appropriate settings in game via the "Tab" Menu > Video Settings. Also note that not all games have bezels available (and it's all dependent on the artwork you have stored locally in your MAME artwork directory).

Yeah I checked 1943 as well and it is already enabled...generic Mame Bezel even though I verified the file in my artworkf olders

In order to get game specific bezels enabled in MAME, you'll want to go back into the Setup Wizard and set Use Bezel back to Don't Use Bezel (a bit confusing I know). Essentially you're telling GameEx to let MAME control your bezels rather than letting GameEx assign the default one.

• Like 1

Since Im on a bezel kick lately...

for your bezel path your looking for,

it would actually be "artwork" path. \mame\artwork\

and make sure you have downloaded bezels "artwork" from MrDo or a pleasurable site and placed them in there.

[edit]

beat me to it!!

bezel path/....in the mame.ini or somewhere in Game Ex?

thanks guys...I think with the disabling of the bezel in Game EX and changing the path in my mame.in to \emulators\artwork files\mame\artwork it did the trick. tested 1943...looks awesome but damn it takes up alot of the game play screen! :)

I checked out MR Do and I see what you mean...still made the screen small but I disabled the marquee on that one and it looks better. I see I can crop on 1943 but then you lose most of the bezel but then the whole screen is used. What I DO NOT LIKE is if crop is not enabled and the bezel iss full I still have like 1" on each side that is black...why is that not filling with the bezel and gameplay to make it bigger?

Sweet! Glad to hear you got it sorted rtkiii. The other thing you'll start to notice is that some games will allow you to crop the bezel artwork from within the bezel settings in MAME. It sort of reduces the "in your face awesomeness," but it does increase the play field for games like 1943 with large bezels

• Like 1

Sweet! Glad to hear you got it sorted rtkiii. The other thing you'll start to notice is that some games will allow you to crop the bezel artwork from within the bezel settings in MAME. It sort of reduces the "in your face awesomeness," but it does increase the play field for games like 1943 with large bezels

Dang I was hoping we could reduze that black on the outside edges. What about resizing the bezel in Photoshop? Too much work?

I read another post and I think maybe if I resize this 1943.png from 4000x3000 down to my screen resolution that might do the trick...need to rezip and test

yeah...that DID NOT WORK! :) Dang...it takes the bezel away completely. I'll need to do some more digging because as much as I like the bezels I just lose too much screen. I played kungfu...what and Awesome bezel!!! But it was playing full screen before now it is like 640x300 or something tiny...

This might be a Mame question as I know Game Ex really is not creating the bezels unless I want to create or use their "Mame" Bezel but the bezel "wasted size" appears on the GameEx bezel and the mame bezels. What I mean by wasted size is the BLACK 1" that is on the left and right hand side of the screen between the bezel image and the edge of the LCD. I do not have a problem with the amount of space bezels take up but this "wasted space" has to be able to be utilized right? I do not see the point of it. I know people have mention the 4:3 ratio but mine is a Square 19" LCD, so the 16:9 does not apply to my setup. I was doing testing with a 1943 bezel, what a cool bezel! Any way this bezel image size is 4000x3000. After reading some other topics on this I saw people recommended changing the Bezel size to my screen resolution of 1280x1024. I did that and repacked the files in .zip format but now the bezel does not show up at all. So that must not be the way to do it...does anyone have a work around for this or is this just the way it is? The goal would be to keep the bezel intact and full size whil adding about 2" inches of size to the gameplay screen...make sense :)

Thanks,

Rich

Rich - I took the liberty of merging your bezel threads as it appeared that you were asking similar questions/presenting similar issues in each. Please try to minimize the number of threads pertaining to the same topic. This will ensure a better response from the community and minimize topic clutter. Thanks!

I only opened an additional topic because last time I started with a question/forum post and it was answered so I went on to ask more questions about the same topic in that same thread and I was asked by a mod to open another forum post to keep the topics separate. sorry.

I only opened an additional topic because last time I started with a question/forum post and it was answered so I went on to ask more questions about the same topic in that same thread and I was asked by a mod to open another forum post to keep the topics separate. sorry.

No problems here. If I recall, your addition was to a thread that the issue had been resolved for the original OP prior and after some time had lapsed. In this case, there was continuity with what you had posted previously and were asking separately.