All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

What antivirus to use

jrock2004

I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It has a decent footprint and does quite well on my Win 7 x64 system and it's free. Some others I know use the free versions of Avast or AVG, although some have reported some false-positives with various programs.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It has a decent footprint and does quite well on my Win 7 x64 system and it's free. Some others I know use the free versions of Avast or AVG, although some have reported some false-positives with various programs.

I was reading about the Microsoft one and was wondering if its a pain and constantly bothers you. Maybe I will download that one and give it a shot

I have had less issues with it than the others. So long as you keep it up to date (which it handles on its own with an internet connection) and it is allowed to perform regular scans, you should note little in the way of notifications.

Not sure if this is the best place for this topic, but I am curious if and or what antivirus people for their cabinets? I have not be using one as I really do not surf on that machine but thought maybe I should try to put something on there. Thoughts?

I don't bother on mine and some other machines too. I have a decent router though. I use eset Nod 32 where appropriate. Its generally considered the best by us pros. I actually have a license through the business for 5 PCs.

The Microsoft one isn't too bloated like some other stuff. I remember a version of McAffee a few years back that installed about 6 services. I also consider the windows firewall satisfactory so I don't go with the full security suites with other solutions.

I have not ran anything on it since I really do not go to any sites that are trouble. Now that I am all setup with how to use the GameEx and rom sets. It was time to reformat the machine. So now begins the debate on if I should run one or not. I think I will though

Always go hardware firewall if it's an option to you (use your router, like Tom said) if it's software only then my two cents on Avast and AVG, both of which i've used extensively:

Avast by default is morebloated and intrusive (which can be remedied by going through preferences after install and deselecting almost everything lol) but is very fast.

AVG is more compact, less intrusive but quite a bit slower in comparison to Avast. I have no experience with Essentials :)

You get false positives with both in my experience and more so with AVG but common sense is all that is needed in them situations ;)

For free I would go with Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast!

For paid I like ESET or Kaspersky.

For the cab I personally would go with MSE as suggested by Draco. I have Avast on my machine but been liking MSE more and more. It's all a matter of preference. Could get away with not using one at all if done right. I usually audit all my roms and sources before I move to the gaming rig anyways. Having one just gives an extra protection. Good luck in your choosing. ;)

• Like 1