All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[NEWS] GameEx Partner on SharkTank tonight

Tom Speirs

I think their pitch was a little lacking. That is important when you are trying to sell a very niche market item, such as an arcade machine. Face it, the guy was right when he said it is a dinosaur. Arcade cabs are great to us because we have a love for preserving something that was of our memories. The rest of the world, not so much. I think it is a great idea and has its place in some man caves and frat houses, but not something that will be taking the nation by storm again like the arcade craze of the '80s.

Agreed. I know they are a startup but only 20 units in 2 years = $80,000.00 (at roughly $4000.00 per unit)? When you consider the equipment costs for the supplies and the build, the actual profit is marginal at best. Had there been a much greater ROI for labor and materials they may have given it more consideration.

I watched it (wife woke me up to see it) and I had a feeling they would all pass. Now had it had newer console systems connected or maybe even an input for say, an iPod/Pad/Tablet like the gent was saying, then I think maybe they might have had more weight to throw. And the menu for GameEx tv time was shorter than i would have liked to see. They didnt even say what frontend was running it! I promptly went back to bed.

I watched this tonight on hulu, they focused on the keg part almost exclusively. They didn't even load up one game and Gameex had a calculator at the top of the screen. I honestly love the idea but I would build it myself if I was going to do it. For a $4000 retail product I felt the cabinet lacked any sex appeal, it was just rather boring.

For a $4000 retail product I felt the cabinet lacked any sex appeal, it was just rather boring.

I was sort of thinking the same thing. For the price it would be a much more attractive purchase if they offered customizable side art, marquee, buttons, etc.

Problem is that those are additional. The problem with a show like Shark Tank is that they have to tailor their pitch as small and focused sound bites and appeal to the lenders/investors. Unfortunately, they tailored it to appeal to "Fraternity Row" and not to someone that is being asked to risk some capital or invest.

I really love these old school game cabinets, played em a lot as a kid, lovely memories, but I would not invest my hard earned money in them even if I had millions laying around like the Sharks seem to have.

We have designed & constructed CNC´d cabinet kits that are better built than 99.5% of the competition but its been almost dead quiet regarding sales.

( http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Turun_Puujaloste )