All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Disney buying LucasFilm for $4B

Draco1962

Please say it isn't so! Disney is buying LucasFilm for $4 Billion. I mean, for all that is holy to geeks everywhere, ya got Marvel. Just leave Obi Wan alone! Well, you can have Jar-Jar Binks and the Ewoks, but dammit man!

post-5872-0-01438700-1351637299_thumb.pn

When I first heard this, my mouth dropped and I was in utter shock. Now that I've had time to let it sink in, and really think about it, I think I'm ok with it. I mean, when you get down to it, Disney and Lucas have been sleeping together for a long time now. Disney parks have always had their Star Wars weekends, and they got that Star Tours ride. In a way, you could say it was inevitable. The nice thing about the aquisitions is that George Lucas is now out the picture as far as production, so hopefully we won't be seeing anymore stupid re-re-re-release crap edits of his movies that he was doing to gouge the market and make more money. Disney, so far, has done great things with Marvel. And I look at it now as a chance for us to finally get to see more Star Wars. The announcement stated that Disney is already working on Star Wars VII, a continuation of the adventures of Luke Skywalker, as well a full trilogy set. Once that's done, they plan to release more movies every few years. WOOT!

Hey Mickey, lock S Foils in Attack Postion. Im not hip to this at all. Disney is going to milk Star Wars til its dry. If you thought Star Wars Epidose I Queen Amidalla Shampoo was bad, wait'll you see how bad Disney markets and fuckers it all up. No one is safe.

You guys are crazy. George Lucas is the one who was milking Star Wars. Disney has owned Marvel for a few years now, and they're doing nothing but great things. I was doubtful for a while too, but with what they've done with Avengers, Iron Man, etc, it's nice to have a mature company taking over George's works. As far as stories go, George already had in his mind a full trilogy of trilogies, and 7-9 was already in the plans. He just got bashed so much from fans when he went back to tweak 4-6, and when he re-released in 3-D, that he just got fed up with it and said "No More Movies". He always wanted to keep Star Wars alive, and passing the reigns on to somebody else is a good way to get that done. He's still being kept on as the consultant, and Disney's not going to be making it all kiddy and stuff (they didn't with Pirates of the Caribbean or the Marvel movies did they?). In fact, in a recent interview since the announcment, George said he originally had plans of 7-9 to take place some 30 years after Return of the Jedi, which would place those original actors at just the right age for them to return in the sequel trilogy. He said he had told Mark Hamill after filming that if he would ever make a part 7, he would definetly have a part if he was old enough (hence the 30 years since, and Mark is now 30 years older!). So I highly doubt Zac Efron would portray him. The only things missing perhaps would be the Emperor and Darth Vader. Has anybody played any of the Knights of the Old Republic games? There's that guy Darth Malak who existed pre-Emperor, so theres still Sith's out there. Also, in the books we know other possible stories that can be fleshed out into movies; Han and Leia get married, have twins, then another kid, Anakin, who becomes Sith... Luke trains Jedi but eventually turns to the darkside.... The Emporer returns as a clone.. etc.. lots of goodies. So theres a lot of material that can be made and there's no reason to think just because Disney now owns the companies that the movies are suddenly going to be crap. In fact, there's already rumors going around that they might get Steven Spielberg to direct 7. There are other projects in the works too, LucasArts is still going to exist as a subsidery of Disney thus all those awesome games will still be made. LucasFilm itself isn't disappearing, and Indiana Jones is still very much going to be made (although people are hoping to see Harrison Ford retire, and I MYSELF hope they don't have Shia Labeouf take over). ILM/Skywalker Sound/etc have been used for all kinds of companies, Paramount, Warner Brothers, New Line, and so on...so it's not like Disney's buying up a monopoly and suddenly nobody will be able to make good movies anymore.

All in all, people just need to relax and look at the big picture. When Star Wars was originally being made, George Lucas pitched the idea to Disney first for the money to make the movie, but they at the time didnt think it would be a good investment. If you look at the long term history of Disney, they're a very mature company with apparently no limit to money and quality. I'm willing to bet that when 7 finally comes out, you won't even know it's Disney accept for maybe some mention in the credits.

• 5 months later...

So yeah I'm gonna necro this thread right here ... sue me. :D Just joking - the following post seemed to fit in better with this thread than it would have in an entirely new thread. And this is just Social Club stuff so ... yeah.

Any hoo I just read this blog post regarding one interpretation on how Star Wars should have ended (one person's opinion) in the events occurring post RotJ. The post is definitely entertaining (though strictly for the geeks ;)), but it also struck a chord with me in an unexpected way. This is the first piece of Star Wars errata in a long time that really got my imagination working within the context of that universe. The trouble with the prequel trilogy is that most of it was wholly calculated and expected. The Clone Wars, while a fantastic television show hasn't ever really gone "outside the box" (although a handful of the new characters are compelling enough).

But the linked essay gets at something that I hope producers of new Star Wars content take to heart. Essentially I hope that they bring new and interesting ideas to the table. That they don't let the series past be the strict dictator of where it "should" go in the future.

Let's say I'm staying cautiously optimistic (which certainly isn't to say I'd expect them to draw any sort of inspiration from some random dude's blog as the "bold new vision for the franchise").