All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Links to Manuals for Pinball not working

8trek

I have this working fine on one machine and recently copied all settings and files exactly same on a new machine. When I click on manual for a vpinball game it is supposed to display the rules pdf file for the game but for some reason on the new machine the screen blinks and nothing happens. Again, setup is identical on both machines so guess it has to be something outside of gameex or vpinball. Any ideas? Everything else works fine.

thanks, always forget to do that.... i see a line that says pdf viewer exe not found at: c:\program files (x86)\gs\gs\bin\gswin32c.exe

after further investigation i see the folder on the original computer that is working fine and see it has something to do with ghostscript and has your name attached in the uninstall readme file. I'm lost, where did this come from? I don't remember installing it. Apparently it is required or something... please inlighten me. thanks.

Did you copy or install GameEx on the other machine? If you just copied, try downloading the latest version and do an install that way. You may then copy over your gameex.ini, and other customized files.

Yes, I installed the same version as the other one, then coped over all files. Again, what is the gs folder (ghost script) for, it's on my original machine but don't remember when/why/or how I installed it.... what is it for? It apparently is needed in order to use pdf files in the interface. also worth noting, i don't see ghost script in my program list.

found the install files here http://www.ghostscript.com/download/gsdnld.html

problem is even though i'm running 64 bit on all machines my original machine shows as explained earlier shows it under x86 and apparently gameex is looking for it there. If i start installing the 64bit ver of gs then going to assume gameex won't find it. Where does gameex configure this setting, i.e. how do you tell gameex where to look for gs?

Hi 8trek

Essentially GhostScript is a parser/interpreter for PDFs. I believe GameEx uses GhostScript as it allows Tom a bit more control over how PDFs are parsed and rendered (as opposed to relying on a a whole host of alternative solutions with unpredictable behavior). If I understand it correctly I believe GhostScript settings are stored in the registry (based on this sort of off topic post).

Im surprised you guys didn't suggest this but the op just needs to install the manual viewer when installing GameEx. Also the correct procedure is to copy the data over before installing GameEx over the top not after. 8trek please install GameEx again over your existing installation choosing to install the game manual viewer.

Thank you gentlemen, obviously picking the same options during install on both machines is important... dah. Tom, question, why would installing first then copying over the files be a problem if both machines are running the same gameex version?

Thank you gentlemen, obviously picking the same options during install on both machines is important... dah. Tom, question, why would installing first then copying over the files be a problem if both machines are running the same gameex version?

Its not that its a problem. Its just the correct procedure I recommend.

Edited by Draco1962
This thread is now closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread.