All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[PROJECT] Steam \ GameEx Integration

Stu1983

Alpha, please see if the attached correctly filters them, if not please post what I asked for. Thanks.

Hey Tom, just tried it and it works!!! Great!!!! :)

But just in case they will be needed, I am willing to provide you the information you requested, just in case they will turn out to be useful in the future:

From https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_Application_IDs I got the applicationID of the various "Developer Files", i.e. not games. Regarding the files needed to run mods based on Half Life, Half Life 2, HL2 ep.1 and HL2 ep.2, we have:

Checking my steam dirs, I found the following:

Steam\steamapps\<username>\source sdk base (55,5 MB)

Steam\steamapps\<username>\source sdk base 2007 (63,8 MB)

But in Steam\steamapps\ folder I found these too:

source 2007 binaries 2.gcf

source 2007 binaries.gcf

source 2007 shared materials.gcf

source 2007 shared models.gcf

source 2007 shared sounds.gcf

source engine.gcf

source materials.gcf

source models.gcf

source sdk base 2007.gcf

source sdk base.gcf

source sounds.gcf

sourceinit.gcf

But maybe they are not needed since, as I can confirm, the last executable you provided correctly filters these entries. Good work Tom!

ATTENTION PLEASE!

I just did a test with the new steam feature, but, after launching games via GameEx, I have a black screen (as expected), but then, instead of launching the game, it returns to GameEx... no game. Well, I tried only with Half Life 2 and Portal (2 well known games)... but I think I found some interesting.

According to the log (which, I think, is not necessary to attach in its entirety), GameEx tries to launch games with this command:

cmd.exe /c f: steam.exe -applaunch 220

and

cmd.exe /c f: steam.exe -applaunch 400

-----

runitgame.bat reports the following:

f:
CD "f:/pc-games/steam"
steam.exe -applaunch 400

OK, I guess it's something with my setup, since null and Stu were able to test a lot of games.... but why do I have such result?

Of course, If I use Win+R command line window with:

cmd.exe /c "F:\PC-GAMES\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 400

the game launches.

:unsure::blink:

I think it might be an issue with the slashes on non English windows. Please try the attached.

"You think it might be..."? YOU ARE RIGHT, GREAT MAN!!! So it was a matter of "\" instead of "/", I guess?

Everything is working well with steam, I will test more games later, but the " code concept" should be taken for granted now, I suppose.

Great work Tom! :) Thank you!

EDIT: just to report that log and runitgame.bat report the same as before, but the games launches correctly now.

Request time again :)

I think this one may require a bit more work though.

Steam makes it really easy to get non Steam games working through GameEx. Before you integrated Steam and we had to use URLs we could easily add a none Steam game to Steam and then create a URL from Steam that would launch the game along with the overlaygui.

Obviously this doesn't work with your integration as we don't need to worry about URLs anymore. How much effort would it take to add an option to let us specify a directory containing Steam URL files, you could then launch them using your current method as they just contain an appid?

I have looked and looked but I can't find any reference to how Steam generates these new AppIDs

I does create a shortcuts file in the userdate/uid/config directory but this doesn't include the ID

Example URL

[{000214A0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
Prop3=19,0
[InternetShortcut]
URL=steam://rungameid/11501351716352163840
IDList=
IconFile=E:\PC\Sega Rally Revo\SEGA Rally.exe
IconIndex=0
HotKey=0

Obviously these games won't exist on Steam so you can't scrape data for them but you could just use the URL name or the generated ID to look for local meta data. I think the IDs are unique to each file, if I delete the game from Steam and add it again it will always get the same ID.

Also all the IDs for shortcuts seem to be 20 characters

Request time again :)

I think this one may require a bit more work though.

Steam makes it really easy to get non Steam games working through GameEx. Before you integrated Steam and we had to use URLs we could easily add a none Steam game to Steam and then create a URL from Steam that would launch the game along with the overlaygui.

Obviously this doesn't work with your integration as we don't need to worry about URLs anymore. How much effort would it take to add an option to let us specify a directory containing Steam URL files, you could then launch them using your current method as they just contain an appid?

I have looked and looked but I can't find any reference to how Steam generates these new AppIDs

I does create a shortcuts file in the userdate/uid/config directory but this doesn't include the ID

Example URL

[{000214A0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
Prop3=19,0
[InternetShortcut]
URL=steam://rungameid/11501351716352163840
IDList=
IconFile=E:\PC\Sega Rally Revo\SEGA Rally.exe
IconIndex=0
HotKey=0

Obviously these games won't exist on Steam so you can't scrape data for them but you could just use the URL name or the generated ID to look for local meta data. I think the IDs are unique to each file, if I delete the game from Steam and add it again it will always get the same ID.

Also all the IDs for shortcuts seem to be 20 characters

Ill look at it, shouldn't be hard.

I keep finding that GameEx can't find my steam apps even thou it says steam is installed correctly. When I looked at GameEx log it keeps looking in the wrong place.

It says d:\\games\steam ect ect...

when it should be d:\\steam\ ect ect...

Shouldn't there be a option in the setup wizard to tell where Steam is installed at?

Nope! never moved any games installed in the same place they always have been in. I tried installing over the top and still getting same errors in the log. Keeps looking in the wrong place.

Where is this mysterious log you keep talking about it ? I suggest you try what Stu did to recreate your config.vdf.

Stu, I can see the app ID in userdata\110696590\760\screenshots.vdf once a shortcut has been created or it has been launched. Where is that file located on your system?

I don't know how I missed that, mine is located D:\Steam\userdata\42944198\760\screenshots.vdf

The only issue with using that file is, if you delete a shortcut from Steam then it still stays in the screenshots file. So GameEx would always see the game.

Unless you can cross reference an entry from the screenshots file with the shortcuts.vdf as the shortcuts.vdf is kept up to date

• Like 1

I don't know how I missed that, mine is located D:\Steam\userdata\42944198\760\screenshots.vdf

The only issue with using that file is, if you delete a shortcut from Steam then it still stays in the screenshots file. So GameEx would always see the game.

Unless you can cross reference an entry from the screenshots file with the shortcuts.vdf as the shortcuts.vdf is kept up to date

Yeah, that was what I was planning in doing since there not in config.vdf and I need the path and filename from shortcuts.vdf to extract the icon and double check everything exists.

Yeah, that was what I was planning in doing since there not in config.vdf and I need the path and filename from shortcuts.vdf to extract the icon and double check everything exists.

Cool, sounds like you have it all under control then :)

See attached, its done. What is the benefit of this?

Thanks, I'll test when I get home

I think the benefit is that it's a really easy way to add other PC games to GameEx and also keeps all your games in one list rather than 1 'Steam Games' section and another 'Other PC Games' section.

Previously I would have created a batch file for each PC game that I wanted to add to GameEx and the batch file would then kick of an Xpadder profile or AHK script specific for that game then the batch would start the game and wait for it to finish before closing.

Using this method I can just add the game to Steam and have a wrapper in the normal Steam folder

The only disadvantage is that it ties up your Steam account while playing a non Steam game but that's not a problem for me as I can only play 1 game a time.

I'm also curious to know if the appID Steam generate is unique to that game or to my system. e.g if you where to have the same game installed would it have the same appID?

If it does then we can create custom wrappers that will work on any system, regardless of where the game is installed or what the shortcut is called.

I added FileZilla to Steam as a test (hoping you may also have it) the generated ID is 17714365825227423744