All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED]Just one newb question please!

STONEDSTONER

Hi there,first post, finally got around to putting a frontend on my comp even after many years of collecting, i wasnt to sure on what one to use but GameEX is really awesome ad im glad i picked this

So far everything has been pretty straight forward

The only thing that i cant seem to do is have movie snaps play on the main "emulated games" menu?

The demos included do

2u9k3yb.jpg

But my Emulators Dont

30hpqie.jpg

I have everything in the correct path

icisub.jpg

The videos play fine once im in the emulators main menu and selecting a game

Please Help with this thanks

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Regarding your issue, I see 2 possible reasons:

1) Are you absolutely sure that everything is in place and that the paths are correct?

2) To display artwork like videos, snaps, titles, ect, your artwok files must have the same name as your roms.

For example, if you have a game named "Zelda - Ocarina of Time.zip", the corresponding video must be named "Zelda - Ocarina of Time.mp4", or flv, or .avi...

Thanks for reply

Yes the snaps etc are the same name as the roms, theres no problem playing the movies if your browsing the games, but i want the movies to play in the previous menu like the demos

The demo paths are very strange imo

2r71unp.jpg

Why is there *.avi in rom filter?? do i need to do something like that with zsnes to get it to work? and the rom path leeds to the demo videos??? i know you cant supply the roms but these demos dont help much as a guideline

I also notice you have a space in your rom path.. You have it as E:\Emulators\Emulators\Snes\Roms\Snes English.. try putting quotes around it...

"E:\Emulators\Emulators\Snes\Roms\Snes English"

That might or might not fix it. Windows is kinda buggy like that, not liking folders/paths with spaces in them unless they're in quotes.

Something else... does your emulator load, and play the selected ROM in GameEx? If my theory about the quotation marks is correct, I'm willing to bet they don't load either. Try renaming the folder to Snes_English instead of with the space and see if that makes a difference too.

Other than that, there's the obvious question of "Do you even have the videos?"

Well, if the OP can play the videos while browsing the games, we can assume that he\she actually has the videos, isn't it han? ;)

@STONEDSTONER:

The point here is that, if you can see videos while browing the game list, I can see no reason why you can't in the emulators menu. Once the emulator setup is done, no further user intervention is required to achieve what you want.

I can't reproduce this problem on my machine. Sorry, I have no idea of what is happening with your setup.

Thanks for info again guys, I changed the rom path with no spaces, and even used clrmamepro with HyperList 1.1 so my snaps/roms etc would all be named right

Still doesnt show videos in "emulated games" menu...

Im starting to think its maybe a registerd feature like game manuels that only seem to work on the demos?

Its not a really big deal but it would be nice

Once i have setup all my emulators i will most likley register anyway

i see on your last picture posted, that the videopath is empty....(the picture from the game-ex setup)

you put the path for the videos to the "stills"-snapshots. try to put them to the videopath, where they belong.

maybe you should browse to your videopath for the SNES-emu.

try to leave the rom-filter blank / empty, dont think you need this here.

Ok added my log thanks,

Another small problem im having is getting global exit to work on my preferred joypad buttons, im actually using a xbox1 controller s with xbcd and it works great (been meaning to pick up a wireless dongle for 360 pads as i have 4 lol)

I wanted to use the analog sticks click-in buttons for exit, they should be button 9 and 10 but when i click them it comes up with 8 and 9??

i even changed the buttons 9 and 10 from control panel to 11 and 12 , that made it input 9 and 10 in GameEX setupwiz ,then i changed them back to 9 and 10 hoping it would fool it lol, didnt work

Its very odd

Not a big deal tho as i have it setup to back/start fine and they show correct button number

log.txt

i see on your last picture posted, that the videopath is empty....(the picture from the game-ex setup)

you put the path for the videos to the "stills"-snapshots. try to put them to the videopath, where they belong.

maybe you should browse to your videopath for the SNES-emu.

try to leave the rom-filter blank / empty, dont think you need this here.

Sorry about double post, that pic is from the snes demo included, the paths are all default, as i said in previous post the paths for the demos are strange

ok i see... if i understand that correctly, you have the SNES setup twice. one is the default by game-ex and one is your own setup, right? and the default one has video-previews and your own setup doesnt, right?

maybe that is the culprit, try to get rid off of one of these. so that you only have one SNES-setup. maybe game-ex gets in trouble, if there are two setups for one emu.

Ok i deleted the demo folder and got rid of them all, still nothing showing...

MAME does and i have it setup exactly like the others

oh well, my concern now is the joypad global exit, it works fine for MAME but on other emulators it does not work?

Could you help me out with this as its pretty important feature, thanks

So there are a couple of things I see here, based on your log. It looks like you still have two instances of MAME in your list. One is the GameEx MAME demo, and one is an instance of MAME setup as an emulator (more on that in a sec). Is it the MAME demo that’s correctly displaying videos? My guess is that the MAME version that’s setup as an emulator is having the same trouble as the rest of the emulators. While it doesn’t hurt to have multiple emulator slots pointed at the same emulator (I have several emulator slots which all point to a single instance of Mednafen for instance), those DEMO slots aren’t really doing you any favors, you could probably overwrite them with actual emulators FWIW.

Beyond that it’s still a bit of a mystery as to why the videos won’t display in the emulator list. The log doesn’t indicate any glaring errors, so I think you should be good to go there. Please make sure that your videos are actually contained in the video snap directory(s). The other file that could help provide some insight would be your GameEx.ini (In your case it should be found in E:\GameEx\CONFIG).

Posting your GameEx.ini will also help to provide some insight into your global exit issue.

(By the by – typically you’ll want to post new separate issues in an entirely new and different thread. You decrease your chances of someone actually seeing and addressing your issue if you introduce it into an existing thread in progress ;)).

In addition to your GameEx.ini, it might be helpful to post your custominput.ini. I’m away from my GameEx machine at the moment, but I think the custominput.ini is located in the same directory as your GameEx.ini. On the other hand there have been some users reporting similar issues with Global Exit. Perhaps one of them may chime in with some ideas.

Getting back to your MAME configuration, you’ll have far fewer headaches with MAME if you actually configure it through the MAME section in the Setup Wizard (rather than as a generic emulator). In addition to just being easier all the way around, the MAME section contains quite a few settings unique to MAME. :D

Ok SOLVED,i got videos working now!! it was my own fault as i had only put one video in for testing before i download the whole lot (i was going to wait when my next internet month starts on 18th as we have crap data limits here in New Zealand i only get 40gb per month)

it seems you need at least 4 videos for it to play on emulated games menu

SORRY about that DURP

So my prob now is Global joypad exit, i included my custominput.ini like you asked null, thanks for your help, also i deleted all demo crap and yes my MAME is in the main thing, not emulated games

I can exit MAME from joypad no probs, its all the other emulators that dont work

I really dont wanna use Xpadder just to map esc key, i really dont wont to use Xpadder on this front end at all .... only if i really have to like for Red Dragon/VirtualBoy and other noob emulators that dont detect joypad inputs

custominput.ini

So your custominput.ini doesn’t look too bad, other than the keys specified within aren’t the keys you indicated above (which corresponds with your comments).

[JOYSTICKEXIT]

# Global game pad exit combination

# Specify button numbers seperated by |

# Button Numbers start at 0

#

# For directions use:

# Left 200

# Right 201

# Up 202

# Down 203

# POV Left 300

# POV Right 301

# POV Up 302

# POV Down 303

JoystickExit=7|6

I don’t use the global exit key functionality, so I have a couple questions for you.

• Does this seem to be an issue with the Setup Wizard? (i.e. Is the Setup Wizard incorrectly recording your key combination in the custominput file?)

-OR-

• Does this seem to be an issue with GameEx interpreting keys incorrectly? (i.e. The keys are stored correctly, but GameEx doesn’t seem to interpret those keys correctly when pressed).

EDIT: I accidentally posted this same response in the corresponding thread. All the same the results are interesting. Given that several users are experiencing this same behavior, I'm thinking this might be a bug in GameEx.

Edited by nullPointer

I use mednafen for Virtual Boy, and works well for this sytem. To configure a controller you simply hold Ctrl+Shift+1

Didn't realizeMednafen handled Virtual Boy. Nice. :) I'll have to go fix that tomorrow.

Yeah its the same problem as on that thread

I'd say it's the second one - GameEx interpreting keys incorrectly. For example, I select L3 on my PS3 controller (button 9 in windows controller properties), but GameEx sees it as button 8. Button 8 is my start button, but even pressing that does not exit.

Custominput.ini does have it as button 8 though, so GameEx is recording it the way it sees it.

I also tryed to setup with Analog stick click-in buttons, it should be entering Button 9 I Button 10 , but it enters Button 8 I Button 9

So i used BACK and START Button, They input with the Correct Button numbers (Button 7 I Button 6) And it does work with MAME just no other emulators

I think its a bug also, How would i go about showing a DEV this problem?

Thanks again for help fellas, ill check out mednafen also