All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[THEME] Blue Neon LCD 1920 x 1080

Draco1962

I have created more busy and detailed themes in the past and found that, as my interests were leaning more towards an HTPC "big screen" view, that I wanted to be able to have that kind of view that looks good on the desktop as well as from a distance. Lots of detail that would look great sitting or standing in front of a monitor is fine. Those same details at a distance of 10', however, are wasted IMO. Hence the emphasis on simplicity and larger, legible fonts.

Adultery asked if I could create a graphic for his Visual Pinball Configuration plugin and, after toying with the LCD fonts for that, decided I would look into something similar from a theme perspective. Blue, being my favorite color, was a no-brainer, and the coolness of the blue neon-like affects are pleasing to the eye.

I think it would look better if it didn't flash to red every cycle.. just keep it blue and have the one block moving left to right. Also, is there a way to maybe make it the same size as the font so it's not just 'half' the selection?

The problem is with GameEx itself and the way it "scales" the selector bars so I will need to continue to play with the dimensions. I will keep the amber and the reason is that it offers better contrast to the blue LCD text than the blue.

I "thickened" the bar a little and removed the blue and kept the amber glow with green chase cursor. IMO it looks much improved over the first attempt and is a little less busy that changing from blue to amber with the chase cursor.

• Like 4

I've been following this one with interest. Once I get the pc back to the 42" tv I think this will look great and it seems to fit the bill for a beautiful and lean theme. :) Nice work!

Revised the selector bar and reworked the neon effect on the image and text frames. Also cleaned up the GameEx logo.

Looking unbelievably good, great work :)

I've been following this one with interest. Once I get the pc back to the 42" tv I think this will look great and it seems to fit the bill for a beautiful and lean theme. :) Nice work!

Yep, I have exactly the same thoughts about the 42" tv :)

I just wanted to reiterate how cool I think this theme is. I keep noticing small details like the 'digital' weather icon and date time readout. Those small details are really adding up to a fantastic whole. It really does take me back to the '80s! Matter of fact I'm gonna crank up some Flock of Seagulls right now ... B)

• Like 1

I think the selector bar is too bright. At least in the youtube video, it's hard to see the list item selected. Might just be because it's low-res youtube though.

I had considered dulling it a bit but it seemed to lose some luster as I am going more for the effect of some of the 80's digital displays which didn't have much in the way of brightness control. It does look much better on the monitor than in a YouTube video.

OK, so far as the theme goes, getting into the home stretch. Since this has a bit of a retro feel to it, was thinking I need to use retro sounds as well. Anyone know a good source of free 8-bit sound clips?

I actually downloaded it and played a little - may end up using some effects generated. For the introsound.mp3 I want to use an actual 8-bit music file. Will continue to explore a bit to see what I come up with. I know that there are a few sites about where people have converted popular songs to an NES 8-bit sound, however, I am partial to Atari 8-bit POKEY tunes.

OK, so far as the theme goes, getting into the home stretch. Since this has a bit of a retro feel to it, was thinking I need to use retro sounds as well. Anyone know a good source of free 8-bit sound clips?

I've only downloaded a couple of these packs, but I think there are definitely some gems to be found within:

8-bit Loops and Samples

I have managed to procure some good 8-bit tunes and sfx for the theme. Since I am working on this theme and the logo pack concurrently, I have decided to rework the logo pack to an extent so that it will integrate a little better with the theme. It will mean a little longer working on the theme and a bit of a delay on the logo packs, but it will be worth the extra effort in pulling off a cohesive theme.

post-5872-0-83633900-1343534126_thumb.pn

post-5872-0-19915700-1343534129_thumb.pn

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The theme is coming along although I have to admit to having taken a little bit of a break from it so I can focus on the logo pack a little more. Here is the system stats screen I came up with. I thought the PCB graphic was fitting.

post-5872-0-39265900-1344300745_thumb.pn

• Like 1