All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[THEME] >>> Gameroom Theme Released!!!<<<

Thanks!

The one limitation that this has is all the games video preview windows have to be in the same position for each one. As you can see from my snapshots. I have created a Paint.net (pdn format) file that makes setting all the required windows a snap. When I get off work tonight I will post it So anyone could start creating these for MAME.

Love it Krakerman. I too would be interested in creating some game screens. I actually talked about this a while back and no one thought it could be done easily. Have you uploaded your theme so those of us that want to help can start using the theme and make screens for it. Also what tells GameEx to use a particular screen with a certrain game.

No I haven't uploaded it yet as I haven't been working on it everyday since football season has started. I find myself watching more football than doing anything else especially on Saturdays as I am a BIG college football fan. Go Buckeyes!!

Anyways it's nice to see support from the community for this in GameEx. It's actually very easy to do. I just moved the list that displays the games offscreen (Set X@2000) made sure the foreground in the theme editor is selected to be the topmost and set Image2 to 0,0,1920,1080 as this will be what displays the backgrounds for each game and have the setup wizard set the box art path to where you save all the images at for each game. Since Image2 in the theme editor would normally display your box image I just changed it to display each game background images instead. So you just have to make sure that where the video displays (Image in the theme editor) you make sure it's transparent so the video will display since the background image is on the top. Once I iupload it you will be able to see what I'm talking about. I might even just upload a Generic example theme so everyone can see how it's done and create whatever they want. Matter of fact I might just do that in the next few days just so you can all mess around with it.

Anyways here is the framework file to create MAME game backgrounds with. Now when have a finished game screen and go to save it you have to make the video preview box transparent.

Note: By setting the background images for each game to be your box images is how GameEx knows to have each game have it's own theme. Until Tom allows us to change/set what displays in Image2 I found it defaults to the box images. Even thou the list is offscreen it's still on you just can't see it so moving up and down still is selecting the games in the list and it's displaying the game backgrounds because you have it set as big as the screen size covering everything . Is it starting to make any sense?

So each system can have a different look just like you saw what I did for Daphne but I put the Video preview box in the middle. Unfortunately you can't move it for every different game. Tom would have to implement something like that in GameEx. Maybe a feature request.

The thing that is nice about this is you can have all kind of graphics for each game on the screen as the theme editor only allowed you to have only 1 for box images and 1 for the videos this allows you to make each game to have cart or box images on the screen at the same time since you made it a background image plus you can put all kinds of stuff on the screen if you liked since it's like being a desktop wallpaper but for each game maybe that is a better way to describe it.

Now for each system you setup in the setup wizard I made the background images point to a default image like my framework except the background I made black so when you switch games you will see a flash of a black background bbetween images since there is a small delay between showing each image. If you make it a colorful screen then you would see that for a split second when selecting your games that is why I made it all black but with the startup menu on it because you still will see the start menu items and the time/date on the bar.

Hope someone can make sense of what I am trying to explain and mess about with it and have fun!!

Ok been working long and hard to finish the main frontend for this theme and should have it ready sometime by this weekend (hopefully) I am also going to re-do the MAME video preview window location as well as I think it is too close to the side. I'll update the new framework file so if anyone is wanting to make MAME game backgrounds it will be properly aligned with this theme. As I have also changed a few things which you will see soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for no updates in awhile guys but with all the recent death in the family I've put this project on hold but hopefully soon I can get back at it. I am not cancelling it just on hold for a while longer. I got a new computer that is even faster than my last one so I'm looking forward to getting it up and running soon.