All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Global Exit not functioning

ClassicGMR

I'm trying to get my custom built NES-puter finalized now that my arcade is up. Got an issue I can't seem to fix:

I am running 12.61.

I am using a PS1 USB adapter with 2 gamepad ports and they work great in every emulator as Player 1 and 2.

GameEx is configured to use pad 1 to go through the menus.

Everything seems to work...

...except I can't get the Global Exit to work. I have repeatedly set it to Buttons 4|5|6|7 using the ... and pressing the controller buttons so they do program correctly. It should exit using all 4 shoulder buttons but I get no response at all.

custominput.ini

I had a similar problem with mine. I think its a driver issue. I ditched the PS controllers for Xbox controllers since it was issue after issue. I think you're gonna continue to have problems unfortunately. Sorry. :(

On the flip I was using kitanas so... idk.

Well the funny thing is I have an XBox 360 wired controller. I downloaded the driver from Microsoft rather than letting it autodetect. It worked great also BUT it also wouldn't do a Global Exit...

*shrug*

OS is Windows 7 Home 64-bit btw.

I noticed that your custominput.ini file has the following under :

[GLOBALESCAPEKEYCOMBO]

# Key Combo for global escape of any emulator or

application.

# Note this uses virtual key codes and not direct

input scan codes.

# This is on regardless of whether custom input is

enabled as long as

# the emulator is setup to exit on escape key (e.g

map back)

GLOBALESCAPEKEYCOMBO=

Notice that there is nothing here for GLOBALESCAPEKEYCOMBO.. Your JoystickExit=4|5|6|7 does show. Not sure if this is the problem but please try the attached file and rename it to custominput.ini and see if it works with GLOBALESCAPEKEYCOMBO=4|5|6|7 .

custominput.ini.txt

(BTW I put the wrong keys in - it's 5678 not 4567 but still same results when fixed)

No such luck. It still doesn't see the command. It also adds some funky text to that line in the setup program. See attached. I'm trying to avoid it but I might have to go with Joy2Key and map the buttons. I just hate running J2K... always seems to interfere with SOMETHING at SOME POINT and that bugs me. However since I'm running a PC in an NES case I can't have a keyboard attached. Just wouldn't look right.

I'm weird I know. :)

Just 2 points as an aside -

* This community is great. Thank you for all the help I have gotten. Also your Space Invaders theme is like gold to me! :)

* Every time I go into the GameEx settings I find something new I like. Yesterday I found that I can get away from the default logo for a system picture in the menu and show [Console], [Handheld] and [Logo] pictures. Much better seeing an actual pic of an Atari 2600 then just the Atari logo flash by. This program gets better and better for me every time I go looking. :)

EDIT: Think I know what the problem is and I don't think I can fix it. Win7 controller setup shows it maps the four shoulder buttons as 5,6,7,8 but when I enter them in GameEx Setup it shows up as 4,5,6,7... I've manually entered them as 5,6,7,8 and 4,5,6,7 and neither work. Sounds like a communication problem with Win7. If anyone can think of something I might be missing let me know but I think J2K is my only solution. :(

post-7333-0-93331900-1338039480_thumb.jp

You might want to consider using something like xpadder. It is only about $9.99 for a lifetime license including updates, has excellent support and many users here have lots of experience with it in use with GameEx.

• 1 month later...

So your custominput.ini doesn’t look too bad, other than the keys specified within aren’t the keys you indicated above (which corresponds with your comments).

[JOYSTICKEXIT]

# Global game pad exit combination

# Specify button numbers seperated by |

# Button Numbers start at 0

#

# For directions use:

# Left 200

# Right 201

# Up 202

# Down 203

# POV Left 300

# POV Right 301

# POV Up 302

# POV Down 303

JoystickExit=7|6

I don’t use the global exit key functionality, so I have a couple questions for you.

• Does this seem to be an issue with the Setup Wizard? (i.e. Is the Setup Wizard incorrectly recording your key combination in the custominput file?)

-OR-

• Does this seem to be an issue with GameEx interpreting keys incorrectly? (i.e. The keys are stored correctly, but GameEx doesn’t seem to interpret those keys correctly when pressed).

I'd say it's the second one - GameEx interpreting keys incorrectly. For example, I select L3 on my PS3 controller (button 9 in windows controller properties), but GameEx sees it as button 8. Button 8 is my start button, but even pressing that does not exit.

Custominput.ini does have it as button 8 though, so GameEx is recording it the way it sees it.

EDIT: Think I know what the problem is and I don't think I can fix it. Win7 controller setup shows it maps the four shoulder buttons as 5,6,7,8 but when I enter them in GameEx Setup it shows up as 4,5,6,7... I've manually entered them as 5,6,7,8 and 4,5,6,7 and neither work.

Does this seem to be an issue with GameEx interpreting keys incorrectly? (i.e. The keys are stored correctly, but GameEx doesn’t seem to interpret those keys correctly when pressed).

I think this is the answer. As I mentioned above and Bigby has also verified Windows 7 and GameEx SEEM to be "one off" from each other in terms of button assignment. Been using Joy2Key just to have a Global Exit on my NES case. It's no big deal really to run it that way just couldn't figure out why I need to.

Oops! the funny part is that I meant to post my response in this thread (which is related I think). That's why the above quote doesn't match the custominput.ini seen here (and doesn't make much sense in the context here). To me this is sounding more and more like a GameEx bug, given the diverse users experiencing the same issue.

I gonna go ahead and post that response in the thread I originally intended to ... :unsure:

Edited by Draco1962
This thread is now marked as Resolved and has been closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread.