All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] SSF Emulator Crashes Shortly After Start From GameEx

gamepimp

Hi all. For some reason, SSF crashes shortly after I start playing a game. But this only seems to happen when I'm starting the emulator thru GameEx. When I run the emulator from the executable, there are no issues. Any thoughts on what might be going wrong? I think Adultery had a similar issue in this thread. But I don't see the root cause ever discussed...

Were you still doing this:

LaunchBefore=""C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount 0,"[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]""
LaunchAfter=cmd.exe /c "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount 0

Cuz you should be doing this now:

LaunchBefore=
LaunchAfter=

Command=ssf.exe [VirtualDrive]:\

Should work fine, or it does for me anyways. :)

Adultery, I've tried the [VIRTUALDRIVE]:\ command w/o any success. But maybe I'm doing something wrong. Am I supposed to put that exact statement right after SSF.exe? Or am I supposed to put the letter of my DT Lite drive? Would u mind sharing ur full emulator .ini so I can see if there's anything else I'm missing?

And Frequency, I will post those files u mentioned tonight if I still can't get this to work w/ Adultery's help.

Thx guys!

Here's mine from the GameEx.ini:

[Emulator_21]

PlayMusic=False

CustomArtName2=Advertisement

BoxPath=F:\Emulators\SSF\Artwork\Box

RemoveBrackets=True

ReplaceUnder=False

TITLETEXT=Sega Saturn

CustomArtName1=Box (Back)

ImageNotFound=F:\Images\no_img.png

PCGame=False

STARTPAGENAME=SEGA Saturn

CartPath=F:\Emulators\SSF\Artwork\CD

Info=Sega Saturn emulator

WorkingPath=F:\Emulators\SSF

Capitals=False

CustomArtPath1=F:\Emulators\SSF\Artwork\BoxBack

TitlePath=F:\Emulators\SSF\Artwork\Title

Emulator=SSF

Command=ssf.exe [VIRTUALDRIVE]:\

SnapPath=F:\Emulators\SSF\Artwork\Snap

DownloadUrl=http://www.gamesdbase.com/setupwizard/emulators/download/SSF.7z

PlayInScreenSaver=False

Enabled=True

RequiredFiles=Bios - SEGA_101.BIN and stv110.bin (512kb each)

SelectionMusicFolder=F:\EmuMusic

ManualPath=F:\Emulators\SSF\Artwork\Manual

LaunchBefore=

LaunchAfter=

MapKeys=True

System=Sega Saturn

configFile=[Mapping Off] Exit (Process Close)

ROMFilter=*.cue

PlaySelectionMusic=False

Website=http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~phantasy/ssf/index.html

StartPageLogo=Sega Saturn

CustomArtPath2=F:\Emulators\SSF\Artwork\Advert

Debug=False

ControlPanelPath=F:\Images\Controls\Emulators\Saturn.png

CDCheck=False

RomPath=F:\Emulators\SSF\Roms

DontShowInfo=False

Version=Ver0.12 alpha

ReplaceDash=False

GameExtenderCustomArtPath=F:\Images\MarqueeMagician\Emus\SAT.png

RandomMostPlayed=True

GamesIn7Zips=False

Category=Console

ShowDesktop=True

CustomBackground=Back-Sega_Saturn.png

UseDbName=False

DATABASE=[Console] Sega Saturn

ShowMostPlayed=True

AlsoLaunch=

MusicPath=

TVAdPath=

VideoSnapPath=

Mine looks the same. When I try to run SSF now, it tries to launch the emulator and then returns me to GameEx. In the log file, I find this comment:

16:55:38.2 1/16/2012: Unable to mount ISO. Did you install ISO Support when installing GameEx?

I'm guessing this is my issue? How do install ISO support? The game I was trying to load had.bin and .cue files. They weren't .iso. And I'm trying to run the game thru DT Lite, not Virtual CD. Thoughts?

I've attached GameEx.ini and SSF.ini in case that might be helpful. Thx!

GameEx.txt

SSF.txt

Download from the main site www.gameex.com the latest version. When running the setup, select "Install Karaoke and ISO Mounting Support" and click next and proceed with the installation.

Ok. Just tried that. But still have the same issue. Log file says "Unable to mount ISO. Did you install ISO Support when installing GameEx?" Do I need to do a clean install of GameEx? If so, what do I need to save in order to bring it back to the state it is now?

I didn't have Game Mounting Support installed (I have always only used DT), so maybe you need to uninstall Virtual Clone Drive from Add/Remove Programs?

I hate to ask, but your DT is up to date right?

Just to clarify, if you installed ISO Mounting Support from GameEx's installer you installed VCD. :)

DT Lite was installed about a month ago. So it's def current. I'll have to check and see if VCD was re-installed last night when I installed GameEx w/ the ISO Mounting Support checked. It may have been. If it was, I'll remove it. But prior to installing ISO Mounting Support last night, I did not have VCD and was still getting the "Unable to mount ISO. Did you install ISO Support when installing GameEx?" error msg. So I'm not sure my issue has anything to do w/ VCD.

I seem to recall reading a forum post regarding how the DT Lite drive had to be named for GameEx to recognize it. Does that ring a bell with anyone? If so, what would be the appropriate name for the drive?

Well there was your post with reference to DT Lite for PC Engine. Was this the one you were thinking about? Seems like there might have been a few others as well. I beleive that the name of the drive is assigned by DT Lite at install.

Ok. I think getting this emulator to work with the embeded CD mounting feature will be the death of me. LOL. :blink:

So I setup a virtual "DT" drive that has a manufacturer name of DTSoft. It is drive D:\ on my computer. Looking at the log file, it seems that GameEx now recognizes this drive:

17:23:34.2 1/19/2012: Restoring Emulator from Cache

17:23:37.9 1/19/2012: Creating instance of global keyboard hook

17:23:37.9 1/19/2012: Running: cmd.exe /c C: SSF.exe d:\

17:23:38.1 1/19/2012: Shutting down display

However, it does not appear that a disk is mounting when I attempt to launch a game. I don't see a file loaded on the drive when I have GameEx running in a window and the DT Lite window up as well. I also get an error msg right away from Windows saying that SSF.exe has stopped working. Does GameEx mount a disk image using the command line parameters that were necessary when using the "launch before" and "launch after" fxns? If so, I think the newer version of DT Lite uses a slightly different command line than what others have reported previously. Most people say they use "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount dt 0, "[RomPath]\[RomFile]". But I've only been able to get a disk to mount with this command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount dt, 0, "[RomPath]\[RomFile]". The only difference is an extra comma before the zero.

That's the only thing I can think of that might potentially be an issue. Although I might be (and probably am) totally wrong on this. Any thoughts?

Yes, it's the default drive in SSF. Don't know if this is helpful or not, but most of the time I get an error msg in SSF that says "CFile::CFile() error." But I can play games just fine when I mount the disk in DT Lite and then fire up SSF.

Please export your emulator config so I can see how you have it setup now. From your GameEx.ini that you posted before, it seems that you had it mounting twice. From the launch before and in the command-line. So I would really like to see this file to troubleshoot and narrow things down.

[Emulator_20]

STARTPAGENAME=Sega Saturn

TITLETEXT=Sega Saturn

WorkingPath=C:\Users\Arcade\SSF

RomPath=F:\Games\SEGA\SATURN\GAMES

Command=SSF.exe [VIRTUALDRIVE]:\

SnapPath=

VideoSnapPath=

TitlePath=

BoxPath=

CartPath=

DATABASE=

LaunchBefore="C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount scsi, 0, "[RomPath]\[RomFile]"

LaunchAfter="C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount scsi, 0

SendKeys=

ROMFilter=*.cue

ReplaceDash=True

ReplaceUnder=True

Capitals=True

RemoveBrackets=True

ShowDesktop=False

GamesIn7Zips=True

RomsInFolders=True

ShowMostPlayed=False

Enabled=True

RandomMostPlayed=False

WaitBeforeKeys=

MapKeys=True

Interesting. Thx for pointing that out Frequency. I wonder if my .ini file has the "launch before" and "launch after" info even tho I cleared it in the setup wizard. I'll post the current .ini as well as the SSF config file tonight when I get home...

Interesting. Thx for pointing that out Frequency. I wonder if my .ini file has the "launch before" and "launch after" info even tho I cleared it in the setup wizard. I'll post the current .ini as well as the SSF config file tonight when I get home...

Sounds good. Seems you been trying to get this going for awhile now. If you want, we can meet in chat later on for real-time support.

[Emulator_20]
STARTPAGENAME=Sega Saturn
TITLETEXT=Sega Saturn
WorkingPath=C:\Users\Arcade\SSF
RomPath=F:\Games\SEGA\SATURN\GAMES
Command=SSF.exe [VIRTUALDRIVE]:\
SnapPath=
VideoSnapPath=
TitlePath=
BoxPath=
CartPath=
DATABASE=
LaunchBefore=
LaunchAfter=
SendKeys=
ROMFilter=*.cue
ReplaceDash=True
ReplaceUnder=True
Capitals=True
RemoveBrackets=True
ShowDesktop=False
GamesIn7Zips=False
RomsInFolders=True
ShowMostPlayed=False
Enabled=True
RandomMostPlayed=False
WaitBeforeKeys=
MapKeys=True

Looks right to me...

When you try running a game, does GameEx pop up a dialog box? Also, if you run in Windowed Mode, can you watch My Computer and make sure it's mounting a disc?