All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

NEWS: GameEx WIP

Tom Speirs

DLNA is good. I wish my blu-ray was DLNA compliant. I gotta use some crappy program that stores an xml listing of all my shared stuff instead of just listing them directly. It doesn't monitor filesystem changes, and take 5+ hours if I add a new video/music/photo for it to update and display it. Then I got my dad a DNLA compliant blu-ray for christmas. Still having a little trouble with it, but for the most part, it works great, and was much easier to setup than the one for mine.

Since we're on the topic, so to speak, what is best/recommended DLNA server to use? WHS v1 doesn't have direct DLNA server support so I need a 3rd party program to make it work. Right now, I'm using Serviio, which seems to do it's job. Are there any others you guys would recommend? This is mostly for my dad's benefit. :)

I use serviio as well for my devices here. It's the only one that I could get to work with my certain device. It's been fine for me. It really comes down to your hardware and the type of files you're using. I had found a list of ones at one time and serviio was the one I stayed with.

Just checking out Servio now. I like the auto metadata features. I think Ill stick with it.

Yeah. It has some cool features. And is updated frequently. Also gives control to tweak a bit and supports many devices. I highly recommend it as I've tried about more than 5 others before I settled on it.

Yeah its pretty good. Although I seem to have aspect ratio issues when transcoding with all the servers Ive tried. ie When the display size of a video is different to the pixel size. Can you tweak the transcoding paramaters with Servio? I was able to do a workaround with Mezzmo.

PS: Even GameEx has this issue at the moment ;)

Yeah its pretty good. Although I seem to have aspect ratio issues when transcoding with all the servers Ive tried. ie When the display size of a video is different to the pixel size. Can you tweak the transcoding paramaters with Servio? I was able to do a workaround with Mezzmo.

PS: Even GameEx has this issue at the moment ;)

I haven't had any of these issues so don't have an answer for you at this time. I'll take a look though and report back.

I haven't had any of these issues so don't have an answer for you at this time. I'll take a look though and report back.

I looked into it and looks like you cant modify the ouput resolution at the moment. Its really a limitiation of the player more than anything. Although I was able to fix it with Mezzmo, but that does not have the nice Metadata features.

I think you can make adjustments, I've not really looked into it. Each "client" device has a different setup in Serviio. That setup is an XML file. You can edit the xml to make changes. I'm sure you'd be able to tweak something in there about the output resolution, as I know you can tweak codecs and stuff.

The only problem I have with my dad's bluray and serviio is some of the transcoding. It seems like it won't play back any DivX files, yet will work for XviD fine. The bluray doesn't support DivX, and thats what the Serviio transcoding is suposed to fix; by converting it on the fly to something native, like MPG. I didn't really fool around with it too much, because the bluray also works with Netflix, which dad uses more than the server anyway.