All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Interactive Fiction Interpreters and Emulators

Draco1962

I didn't realize it but there are quite a few (probably thousands) of interactive fiction (text adventures) for free - many written into this year! I guess kind of a niche hobby. The db will contain only those games with either the .dat or .z# extensions. Anything else is likely to be run through DOS Box which is not my focus here.

Draco,

I would be interested in what sites you did find that still exist. If you have a moment to post some.

-Brendan

Brendan - A good place to start to learn more about Interactive Fiction and find links for various freeware z-code files is the IF Wiki. You can download the latest version of Windows Frotz here. This is a very good z-File interpreter (z-file format developed by Infocom).

I have created a database for use with this software.Enjoy!

Not a problem. I just wanted to do it right. There are only about 55 entries. I did not include the Infocom re-releases (Trilogy packs, etc.). I am sure there will be updates to the db as time goes by and I will release version updates to the original post in the pinned topics and point it out to everyone. I am also going to rename this thread as I would like to refer back to it from time to time regarding this type of game and interpreters/emus.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone created a map file for this system. GTot it running great in GameEx and having a ball with it. Don't want to go thru the work creating a map file if some one already has one.

Has anyone created a map file for this system. GTot it running great in GameEx and having a ball with it. Don't want to go thru the work creating a map file if some one already has one.

Howdy Starbuck! Is GTot the name of the interpreter are you running? I'm afraid I came up blank in my hunt for any information associated with that name. Are you dead set on a map file? If not you might give Draco's Interactive Fiction database a try. If it was missing information for your collection it would be relatively arbitrary to add any missing entries (certainly more so than building a new map file), or at the very least it would be a good starting point to build a map file if you were so inclined.

Naw, fingers got in the way. "Its got it running great."

Using Windows Frotz. Tried the database and didn't help much. Currently have about 500 text adventures on my cab. Guess I'll create one when I get a little free time.

Has been a while since I last looked at it. 56 is the actual title count:

GameData Name Wishbringer: The Magick Stone of Dreams Zork I: The Great Underground Empire Zork II: The Wizard of Frobozz Zork III: The Dungeon Master Enchanter Sorcerer Spellbreaker Trinity Beyond Zork: The Coconut of Quendor Zork Zero: The Revenge of Megaboz Seastalker: [Your Name] and the Ultramarine Bioceptor Infidel Cutthroats Hollywood Hijinx James Clavell's Shogun The Lurking Horror Plundered Hearts Border Zone Sherlock: The Riddle of the Crown Jewels Arthur: The Quest for Excalibur Journey: Part One of The Golden Age Trilogy Starcross Suspended Planetfall The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy A Mind Forever Voyaging Stationfall Deadline The Witness Suspect Ballyhoo Moonmist Leather Goddesses of Phobos Bureaucracy Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It Dungeon Zork: The Undiscovered Underground Adventureland Pirate Adventure (aka Pirate's Cove) Secret Mission (aka Mission Impossible) Voodoo Castle Ghost Town Mystery Fun House Pyramid of Doom Strange Odyssey The Count Savage Island, Part I) Savage Island, Part II The Golden Voyage Return to Pirate's Island Sorcerer of Claymorgue Castle Spiderman The Hulk Buckaroo Banzai The Original Adventure (aka Colossal Cave)

Most of my focus was on the Infocom Adventure International (Scott Adams) games. I look forward to seeing your additions to this oft ignored genre that started it all!

Working on it as we speak. Thanks for all you do Draco1962

By any chance were you able to get the latestes version of Windows Frotz to open in fullscreen each time? For some reason, I can only get it to open windowed. Not sure if it is because of Win 8.1 or not. Unfortunately, I do not believe that it will work with command line switches (not supported or at least I could not find any).