All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[REOLVED] I'm BACK ! ( kinda )

simbamame

Well after screwing around for nearly 6 hrs finally back online....what a game,copied over 200 gig ! 1stly windows7 64bit wouldnt except my wireless dongle, nor did vista !, i had to fire up the spare puter which had win7 32bit and the wireless dongle installed, a quick plow threw google and i found the drivers i needed and way hey windows 7 64bit on-line yay, email and messages all imported! but to be honest its seems slower than 32 bit ??? and before you ask yes it is a 64 bit processor ! but now the fun begins getting all the 64 bit drivers for everythink else, i may install windows 7 32 bit so then i`ll have a quad booting htpc !, just for the hell of it ! I might even install mac OS, hmm and Amiga OS ...yeah yeah ok im being silly now, mind its do-able ! Specially if i cant get that blasted Amiga emulator to work in GameEx. !! PMSL !!

So boot up now is...

1. Windows 7 ( 64 Bit ) ( default )

2. Vista

3. Ubuntu2.

4. Windows 7 Ultimate ( 32 Bit ) <<<-- may add this if 64 bit is slower

Oh yeah and GameEx refushes to start but i guess thats cos i dont have any framework or direct x installed and as it 2am in the morning so i need some sleep ,so i`ll have a dabble tomorrow :)

Ian.

PS ALL comments appreciated no mater weather constructive or not lol !

If you just moved your programs over without reinstalling them I'm not sure they're set to take advantage of 64-bit computing, but I need meh boy Drac on this because he knows way more about 64-bit than I do. :)

@Adultery - Agreed. Some programs will recognize the 64-bit OS and will either error that the OS is not supported, will install under Program Files (x86), or Ian will need to search each for 64-bit versions. Simply moving stuff over will not suffice. If using MAMEUI32, probably best to use MAMEUI64. He will need to install the Shark 007 codecs for Windows Vista/7 64 bit and another pack (will need to read the site notes). Drivers here are crucial. There will also be some tweaks to the OS to increase performance and take advantage of the 64-bit architecture. Too many to list here so Google may be a better friend than I at this point to answer some of the questions.

@Adultery - Agreed. Some programs will recognize the 64-bit OS and will either error that the OS is not supported, will install under Program Files (x86), or Ian will need to search each for 64-bit versions. Simply moving stuff over will not suffice. If using MAMEUI32, probably best to use MAMEUI64. He will need to install the Shark 007 codecs for Windows Vista/7 64 bit and another pack (will need to read the site notes). Drivers here are crucial. There will also be some tweaks to the OS to increase performance and take advantage of the 64-bit architecture. Too many to list here so Google may be a better friend than I at this point to answer some of the questions.

Mike,

I was getting some bad errors and was beigining to think changing to 64 bit was a bad idea,but had a coffee took a step back and now GameEx is running after a bit of tweeking, had to manually import the reg key and first few runs had bad data errors, but its running now :), also i did not intent to just copy the programs over, when i said saving data, i ment movies, music, picturees etc... i know a few programs will just run if they are lineared programmed, or video editing should take advantage of this, at the momemt the most important piece ( GameEx ) is working fine now...gfx drivers , direct x and frameworks all installed for 64 bit and explorer 9, which now seems quicker, so slowely its all coming together, email and windows live is all working, need to find sharks7 64 bit codecs although all seems to be working...im gonna put the psx flv video snaps in and see if it crashes lol. ALso i didnt realise there was a mameui64 out, so thanks for that one :).

Respect. Ian.

Thanks mike,

64 bit addon for sharks7 installed and working and as at now the HTPC is running a like a dream, fast and no errors and GameEx seems to like it, althought the FLV snaps dont show but im not bothered about that going full avi anyway now, but appart from that its all systems GO! - lol ! - Still reading up on system tweeking to get that extra bit of speed, although DVD conversion has gone down to about 16 mins for a full film used to be 24-26mins so its looking hopefull.

Ian.