All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Q & A For Hobbiest

cervante

I got a question for anyone thats good with modding things. I am using this arrcade stick for my cabinet http://www.amazon.com/Playtech-Arcade-Fighting-Stick-Sony-PS3/dp/B004DFDVWW

was wondering if its easier to change the colorful buttons for grey ones sold online for mame cabinets or paint them grey. And if paint is a better option how do you properly paint plastic? Thsnk you for any ideas or replys.

I would caution strongly against painting as it will wear off over time. As for replacing them with buttons for mame cabinets, could not tell you. It is possible that they are proprietary and not arcade-grade or sized.

I doubt there's micro switches in that stick.

You can paint them and be fine if you use model car paint and use a nice clear coat. Don't know if I would go that route though, since you'll be adding more problems than you'd be avoiding. Just my opinion.

No matter how mad your masking skilz, there is always a chance of getting paint or clear coat down around your buttons or into your switches and if you do, then you are hosed. If you can get the button dimensions used in the system you are considering, you may find buttons that will replace them. Of course, there are other alternatives such as XGaming's Xarcade tank stick which,for $200 is not too shabby and you get arcade grade sticks and buttons.

And to add to what Draco said, if that paint chips due to heated use and gets down in there, you're really hosed! :)

No need to be if you can handle the fabrication part. The wiring is incredibly easy to do if you just get a kit from Ultimarc. :)