All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

No Joy to be found in Casa Del Draco :(

Draco1962

My nVidia GeForce 8800GT is no more - it started pixelating the screen and locking up and, before I could enact a full HDD backup to the secondary drive lost full viusal access. Repaced the GPU with a GeForce GT 440 only to find out that my Win 7 install was fragged and got stuck in the wonderful Repair Windows loop. Bottom line - whatever happened with the GPU happened at the right place and time to frag my boot index.. so - REFORMAT AND REINSTALL!:angry:

Fortunately, I was able to get to a command prompt and save most of my graphics and had already moved all ROMS, Assets, etc to a secondary drive so just need to reinstall my emus and GameEx, re-download my themes... yada-yada-fraking yada....:blink:

Could be worse and has been so I am thankful for the lesser degree of worse than the major degree. Attendance will be spotty as I rebuild.

Ahh bummer man. I got some data recovery software that can pull files from a HDD even after a reformat or deleting or a MBR failure, maybe it can help you. PM me if you need it! :)

Well, things had been a little wonky here and there with some programs and within the OS itself (not confirmed but I think it may have been the result of an install glitch that occured the first go-around). Nothing critical enough to make it unusable or unstable at the time, but when the GPU began to fail, the instability reared its head.

So looking on the bright side, a fresh format and install was probably on the way eventually. My PC apparently wanted to advance the schedule and keep me out of the loop until the end! As for recovering anything, it will be mostly reinstallation as most of my data was stored on the secondary drive and/or the MS 2003 server.

Thanks again for the help offers and I may just take you up on copies of the recovery software at some point as I have had need in the past and will likely at one time or another in the future.

Ahh bummer man. I got some data recovery software that can pull files from a HDD even after a reformat or deleting or a MBR failure, maybe it can help you. PM me if you need it! :)

As do I pal! Let me know also. Sorry about your loss.

So far so good. Just looking a the loss as a needed intervention to rid me of my hoarding spoils. Sux that I have to reinstall my emus and redo my custom menus but was threatening change it anyway.

Like you're doing now, I actually used a rebuild as an excuse to do some tweaking. It's much more satisfying in the end, mi amigo! :)

Hardware/Software failures are always a good excuse to do some housekeeping on your files. I just upgraded my HTPC big time after some stability issues, and now I'm plugging away at cleaning up the pile of mess spread across a few hard drives after a few years of heavy use. It so hard to delete stuff when 3TB drives are floating around $125 though.

Except to the Miss-us (spelled correctly according to my wife). She keeps threatening to attach a keyboard to her body so I will play with her more than my PC.:blink:

LOL, I like that :) . SM

• 2 weeks later...

Things are getting better. I have delayed restoring my emus and for a bit while I am working on the next logo pack. Will probably begin work on one more theme after that (will probably be my last for a while) then will slowly begin rebuilding the emus.

It's not like you don't have access to the best support system on the interwebz! MaLa and Atomiswave can sux it! ;)