All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Neo Geo games

starbuck

I know that neo-geo has a home system, a arcade system and a cd system. I know the cd roms for the CD system are different. Are the roms for the home and the arcade system the same or different. I can find a Clrmamepro dat file for the arcade. But can't find one for home.

neogeo home and arcade games (AES and MVS) are both the same.there is no difference between the arcade carts,the home carts,and the home cds.The only reason the neogeo cd came out was to drop the cost of the console and more importantly,the games.A home neogeo cart could cost upwards of $200! that was in the mid 90's!So snk,in their infinite wisdom,came out with the neogeo cd console,and were able to sell games for a more competetive $50.Too bad it was only a 1x cd rom and the games took a eternity to load.and that is mostly why snk is no more :)

Pretty much all you need is the mame neogeo games,and you have them all

The crazy part about all of this was that one could (hypothetically) move EPROMS back and forth from the Arcade System (MVS) to the Home System (AES). The only difference between the Arcade and Home cartridges was the pinouts. Apparently this was a measure to prevent Arcade owners from simply buying cheaper Home cartridges to run in their arcade systems. Other than that the game code and program specifics were identical between the home and arcade systems.

According to this link, there were some titles released exclusively for the Neo Geo CD system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_Geo_CD

Also it looks like some CD versions of the games my have slight differences. This post for one particular game shows AES Vs CD Differences and CD Extras

http://www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd/games/realboutspecial/index.html

You arent really missing anything with those exclusive games LOL.there is a few vid on youtube that showed a AES game running side by side with its cd counterpart.The game was samurai showdown and the person playing was able to play a round and a half before the cd version even loaded the first round LOL!!

The crazy part about all of this was that one could (hypothetically) move EPROMS back and forth from the Arcade System (MVS) to the Home System (AES). The only difference between the Arcade and Home cartridges was the pinouts. Apparently this was a measure to prevent Arcade owners from simply buying cheaper Home cartridges to run in their arcade systems. Other than that the game code and program specifics were identical between the home and arcade systems.

I also read that.Does anyone remember that the neogeo arcade cabs had memory card slots on them? I think you could take a mem card from home,and upload high scores,moves lists and I think even characters,but dont quote me on that!

snk,in their infinite wisdom,came out with the neogeo cd console,and were able to sell games for a more competetive $50.Too bad it was only a 1x cd rom and the games took a eternity to load.and that is mostly why snk is no more :)

I actually selled out the cash for a NeoGeo CDZ console from Japan. The CD drive was twice as fast, and that really made a huge difference. That and my Dreamcast are the only 2 old consoles that still get any use.

Thanks to all for the replys. I thought that some of the AES and MVS roms were different because I have several roms with the same game that are quite abit different in size. Also there actually quite a few CD roms that are different. I agree the difference is not enough to make you go with the cd loading time.

So emulation can't get around the slow loading time? That sucks! I figured ROM speed wouldn't be dependant on the original equipment since you would use an ISO loader which reads at much higher speeds.

Hey Adultery,

Have tried several different emulators and they all seem to be dependant on the origional equipment. Its a shame because I would luv to see the differece btween cd and console.

Hey Adultery,

Have tried several different emulators and they all seem to be dependant on the origional equipment. Its a shame because I would luv to see the differece btween cd and console.

Have you used neoraine ?

http://rainemu.swishparty.co.uk/html/download/neoraine.html

I think it has a speed hack setting that sets the drive to 8X speed and you can directly load *.cue files in neoraine.

The games seem to load up pretty quickly from what I can tell

Thanks Wahoo

Tried it and its asking for a iPL.txt file ???

What is this and where do I get it.

Will you post your INi file for the emulator?

Thanks

You don't need an ipl.txt file. I think this message has to do with a command line switch that is obsolete. Make sure you are using the latest version which is 1.2.11. The neocd.bin BIOS file should be in the same directory as neoraine32.exe. I have attached the raine32_sdl.cfg which goes in the config subdirectory. Also I have attached the GameEx INI file for the emulator which has the correct command line of course.

raine32_sdl.zip

Neoraine.zip

WOW.neogeo cd games take FOREVER to load.it is actually painful! :angry: the speed hack in neoraine works,but it screws up the emulation.just like all speed hacks do.pretty cool if you dont care about accuracy