All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Netbooks and GameEx

Krakerman

I take it GameEx can run on netbooks?

Been thinking of getting one of these bad boys for playing all my retro emulators on the go as it seems as it would look better than on a PSP and run more emulators for that matter. Was gonna use GameEx as the interface :)

Laptops are bigger and heavier and the netbooks are lightweight and more what I was looking for.

You may be able to, however, keep in mind that they integrate the GPU with the mobo and share RAM accordingly. Might be able to pull it off with the older emus but have some speed issues with the newer platforms.

Here are the specs of the one I was looking at:

Operating System: Windows® 7 Home Premium

Processor: AMD Athlon™ II Neo Processor K125 (1.7GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB)

Display: 11.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystal™ LED-backlit Display 1366x768 resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio

Video: ATI Radeon™ HD 4225 Graphics with 384MB of dedicated system memory, supporting Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD2), OpenGL® 2.0, OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 4.1, Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1

Memory: 2GB DDR3 Dual-Channel, 2 DDR slots (Total)

Audio: High-Definition Audio Support, Two Built-in Stereo Speakers, Built-in Microphone

Hard Drive: 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Card Slots: Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader - Secure Digital™ (SD), MultiMediaCard (MMC), Memory Stick® (MS), Memory Stick PRO™ (MS PRO), xD-Picture Card™ (xD)

Communications: 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™

Webcam: Built-In HD Webcam 1.3 megapixel

Ports: 3 - USB 2.0 Ports, 1 - HDMI™ Port, 1 - VGA Port, 1 - Microphone-in Jack, 1 - Ethernet (RJ-45) Port, 1 - Headphone/Speaker/Line-out Jack with S/PDIF support

Battery: 6-cell Li-ion Battery (4400 mAh), Up to 5.5-hour battery life

Kinda beefy for a netbook - could probably work pretty well. Question for ya, what will you use as a controller? Since it has a few USB ports, you may be able to get away with something not requiring a lot of power, such as a Logitech dual action gamepad.

250GB will not be much space for 3-D cabs, video snaps, manuals, etc. Perhaps a list-only view with some of the HTPC extras disabled.

Is all that really needed seeing as you have a PSP? In my opinion the PSP does a fine job of running damn near everything... And well! :)

Eboots for PSX, and if it's a slim there's almost no emulators that don't shine on it! If you're looking for some links, I can certainly help out there. I love my PSP!

That said, you planning on a full balls to the wall install or a more slimmed down version? V4 themes and full artwork with that? I would think that a nice netbook like that could more than handle whatever you throw at it.

Kinda beefy for a netbook - could probably work pretty well. Question for ya, what will you use as a controller? Since it has a few USB ports, you may be able to get away with something not requiring a lot of power, such as a Logitech dual action gamepad.

thats because its not its a notebook

*netbooks dont have sata Hdd's 250GB or otherwise(as a mater of fact thay use ssm for memory not hdd's)

it a mini notebook

That's not true everywhere I look the netbooks that I find do have HD in them just search on newegg and you'll see.Yes the PSP does run alot of emulators very well as does my Wiz (Man what a small screen this thing has) which I just got recently. But I would like to have a bigger screen and a way to run alot of good shareware games/emulators on as well on a bigger screen that is portable (and setup GameEx on) for when I go on trips or just chillin around the house. One can not have enuff electronic gadgets around :)

I heard of a good one that even has an Nvidia card in it. I could just get a laptop, but I really like the size and weight of the netbooks. If I save up Alienware even has a beefy gaming netbook out I saw on newegg for around $600.

Netbook or Notebook or Mini Notebook - who cares? The distinctions are blurring between all of them. I could build a desktop using SSM, but it wouldn't make it any more a netbook than standing in a garage makes you a car. But back to the point, 250 GB is plenty big enough to put much of what you could want but depending on what you load, it will fill up quickly.