All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

3D Models for GameEx

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I gave 4 cents so far tongue.gif ... how's that for "change" you can believe in?

I am sure we will have enough to warrant pinning at some point. We have quite a few that are motivated in learning about Sketchup, .x conversions, etc.

Well I have finished converting the cabs. Unfortunately I had to do most of them manually because many of the textures were screwed up when "exploding" the models. Let's just say I've spent waaaaay too many hours on this :blink:

Anyway I've updated the scripts again, and now the ZbylsXExporter doesn't auto explode and it defaults to save to a sub folder. This is to do conversions manually, so you will also need the "bomb" script to explode the model then fix any screwed up textures, and then export to X. You only need to explode the more complex models, I did not need to explode any of the console models for example.

As for pinning and merging this topic. I don't think it warrants pinning really and I'd rather not merge with the other topic because I want this to be dedicated to my conversion work and requests from people to convert stuff. That is why I started a new thread in the first place.

Anyway I am uploading the cabs now... stay tuned!

Although I dont want anyone I like to experience pain, I sure do appreciate it!

It did become quite a painful experience especially towards the end when my hand started cramping up :o Well I'm sure the GameEx community will appreciate it too and I personally love seeing the 3d models and hope we get a stack more done. Oh and I contacted Gozer (author of the 3d cabs) and welcomed him to come and say hello. I also mentioned I could organize him a free license if he showed up (which I'm sure you'll be happy to honour?).

Actually my bandwidth is unlimited. I had to move hosts the day we released Warhawk DS as it went down for going over it's quota in a few hours! But yeah I have no problem you hosting it.

I dont know if you saw my edit but unless its a dedicated server on a dedicated pipe its only unlimited until your host says it is. Believe me ;)

Well I have finished converting the cabs. Unfortunately I had to do most of them manually because many of the textures were screwed up when "exploding" the models. Let's just say I've spent waaaaay too many hours on this blink.gif

Anyway I've updated the scripts again, and now the ZbylsXExporter doesn't auto explode and it defaults to save to a sub folder. This is to do conversions manually, so you will also need the "bomb" script to explode the model then fix any screwed up textures, and then export to X. You only need to explode the more complex models, I did not need to explode any of the console models for example.

As for pinning and merging this topic. I don't think it warrants pinning really and I'd rather not merge with the other topic because I want this to be dedicated to my conversion work and requests from people to convert stuff. That is why I started a new thread in the first place.

Anyway I am uploading the cabs now... stay tuned!

I find that the 3D Rad tends to render the final .x file darker than zybils.

I am going through my MAME list now to identify those that display incorrectly from the originals (for example, Armor Attack front and back faces are missing and the cabinet side art is on the inside instead of outside. This is not to take away from the hard work that HK put into the initial load. I will test with substitutions from the Gozer Cabs and report back on which ones need to be changed out from the originals.

Ive just been having a little play. Gozers ones seem of a much better quality than the 3D arcade ones and Im guessing a little here but almost real world accurate. Although they seem to take longer to load on my system. I didnt extensivly test but I didnt see any errors. Good job.

I am going through my MAME list now to identify those that display incorrectly from the originals (for example, Armor Attack front and back faces are missing and the cabinet side art is on the inside instead of outside. This is not to take away from the hard work that HK put into the initial load. I will test with substitutions from the Gozer Cabs and report back on which ones need to be changed out from the originals.

The Gozer ones do seem to be of a higher standard as I just said but if you see also as I did that they are slower to load I think we should only replace the broken ones in the 3D arcade set.

I agree that they are pretty good, especially in Sketchup, yet they seem to suffer some in the conversion process. Here are my recommendations for substitution in the main pack:

altbeast - Blank marquee, wood cabinet

arabian - Inverted right-side art

arkanoid - One side black, other wood

armora - Missing front/back, inverted side art

assault - Blank marquee

asteroid - Marquee reversed

astrob - Missing X file from Gozer conversion

baddudes - Missing marquee and bezel simpsons - Missing X file from Gozer conversion

taxidrvr - Remove - displays pinball machine

tetris - Gozer file has Original marquee and better display

These are the few instances where I found that the Gozer file conversions were superior to those originally provided in the pack HK initially put together. I did some comparisons Gozer's files vs HK's files where there were noticeable defects (i.e. inverted artwork, missing panels, etc.) and found that, in most cases, they possessed the same defects upon conversion to X files. This leads me to believe that he was either the original creator of some of the files or collected them from elsewhere. Not that it should matter as it has helped to fill in some much needed holes in the collection.

I noticed that on conversion to X files from Sketchup that any translucent glass becomes opaque on conversion. In those cases, I have loaded the file into Sketchup, deleted the translucent glass. When the conversion completes, the screen and bezels now show.

Here are the missing Astro Blaster and Simpsons cab files:

astrob.7z

simpsons.7z

Can someone tell me where the X files are cached in GameEx?

baddudes - Missing marquee and bezel - both original and Gozer file show up with transparent panels in GameEx. Likely original file is cached.

tetris - Gozer file has Original marquee and better display - attempted to load new file but old file cached somewhere.

Thanks!

Partly why it took so long to convert them all was removing the glass for some cabs and fixing missing textures. If you find any I've messed up feel free to export them again. Just remember you will need to explode the cab first and then fix any textures, remove any glass and then export.

I deleted the simpsons and blitz99 models because some panels failed to export correctly.

To fix a texture do the following:

1. Load the model

2. Select Plugins->Bomb All

3. Select the arrow selection tool

4. Right click on the face with the missing texture and select "Entity Info"

5. A dialog will open with the front and back faces. Select the front face and then select the texture from the list

6. You may need to position the texture correctly. To do that right click on the face and select Texture->Position. Using the mouse you can drag it into place.

7. Select Plugins->Zbyl's X Exporter... to export to an .x file.