All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Folder structure question

Aaron E

Hello all, I have tried out numerous frontends and always come back to gameex it always suits my needs except one area that I have been having difficulty figuring out. How should the folder structures be set up for the media to have it display properly in gameex?

This is my current folder structure:

E:\Movies\Name of Movie\ - in that folder is movie.file, movie.jpg, fanart.jpg, poster.jpg

E:\TV Shows\Name of Show\Series x\ - in that folder is show.file, series x.jpg, fanart.jpg, poster.jpg

E:\Music\Name of Artist\Album\ - in that folder is song.file, Album.jpg, fanart.jpg, poster.jpg

Then on a different drive I have:

F:\TV Shows\Name of Show\Series x\ - in that folder is show.file, series x.jpg, fanart.jpg, poster.jpg

What would be the proper structure for me to sort my media into? I have no problem arranging it and renaming any or all of the files for them to display properly.

also as a small side question is there anyway to link two folders to display as one in gameex? As you can see above I have two TV Show folders on two different drives which then makes them show up as two TV Shows folders in gameex its not a problem just a question that popped in my head.

Thank you all in advance and if you need me to clear anything up please feel free to let me know.

Stickman1600

Hello all, I have tried out numerous frontends and always come back to gameex it always suits my needs except one area that I have been having difficulty figuring out. How should the folder structures be set up for the media to have it display properly in gameex?

This is my current folder structure:

E:\Movies\Name of Movie\ - in that folder is movie.file, movie.jpg, fanart.jpg, poster.jpg

E:\TV Shows\Name of Show\Series x\ - in that folder is show.file, series x.jpg, fanart.jpg, poster.jpg

E:\Music\Name of Artist\Album\ - in that folder is song.file, Album.jpg, fanart.jpg, poster.jpg

Then on a different drive I have:

F:\TV Shows\Name of Show\Series x\ - in that folder is show.file, series x.jpg, fanart.jpg, poster.jpg

What would be the proper structure for me to sort my media into? I have no problem arranging it and renaming any or all of the files for them to display properly.

also as a small side question is there anyway to link two folders to display as one in gameex? As you can see above I have two TV Show folders on two different drives which then makes them show up as two TV Shows folders in gameex its not a problem just a question that popped in my head.

Thank you all in advance and if you need me to clear anything up please feel free to let me know.

Stickman1600

Aaron - If you don't mind my asking, what is the rationale behind having two folders of the same name\path on different logical drives? I do not beleive it is possible to have them show as one folder because of this.

First off, sorry for the delay in my response. As for the reason for having the two different Drives was only due to space issues. I do plan to try to arrange some other files on the two drive and possibly be able to merge the two folders but for the time being or if the contents of both folders are too large to fit onto one drive I need to keep them separate.

[Edit] - Also both drives are 1tb so yes i already have have thought go bigger haha. Also I may try to rearrange the folder contents to be in alphabetical order Which then would give me something more specific to display such as TV A-M , TV N-Z which has more logic to sorting than just TV 1, TV 2.

First off, sorry for the delay in my response. As for the reason for having the two different Drives was only due to space issues. I do plan to try to arrange some other files on the two drive and possibly be able to merge the two folders but for the time being or if the contents of both folders are too large to fit onto one drive I need to keep them separate.

[Edit] - Also both drives are 1tb so yes i already have have thought go bigger haha. Also I may try to rearrange the folder contents to be in alphabetical order Which then would give me something more specific to display such as TV A-M , TV N-Z which has more logic to sorting than just TV 1, TV 2.

Aaron - I have an idea and it may not work. First, OS ar you using? Windows 7 can use Libraries to join separate resource locations under one folder.

For example, I have two folders under my Videos Libaries that are on the same drive, yet different paths. If you right-click on the Library, then left-clcik on Propertie, there is an option to add another folder - it doesn't have to be on the same drive as the other. It may be possible to point to the Library and have a single point of access to both. The only issue that I can see is is that there isn't a distinct path to the Library.

This might be an ehancement request unless someone know how to set this up in GameEx.

Thank you both of you for the answers currently Im running a very stripped down version of windows xp pro Im running with a VIA SP13000 Mini-itx motherboard in an NES Console so using the Link Shell Extension will work out better for me but thank you again for the great responses it is appreciated.