All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Vectrex

Krakerman

No matter what game I select it seems to always run Star Castle w/Overlay. Why is that here is my Command Line:

vectrex -cart "[ROMPath]\[RomFile]" -skip_gameinfo -joy -nonewui

I'm using M.E.S.S 0.106 because I don't have the new overlays since they changed in the more recent version of M.E.S.S

Tried yours, but it just turns black and exits back to GameEx. I think the command line options are different with M.E.S.S 0.106 I would upgrade to the latest M.E.S.S if I new where to get the updated overlays

Yes, something has changed in the last couple of mess releases. My Vectrex show whatever the last overlay used was regardless of game. Not sure what has happened and I will look into it at some point, perhaps later today... (I couldn't be bothered earlier - too much else to do :( )

Hello.

My command line is as follows:

messpp.exe vectrex -cart

[ROMPath]\[RomFile]
-view
[ROM]
-joy -now -nonewui

I then manually went into the "vectrex.lay" file (inside the vectrex artwork zip or folder for MESS), and changed each of the "view" nodes to match the name of the ROM file. For example, for Bedlam, the line in vectrex.lay is as follows:

<view name="Bedlam (USA, Europe)">

This works like a champ for me, and I'm using MESS .127.

I'm attaching my vectrex.lay file here. Let me know if this makes sense and works.

-Greg

vectrex.lay.txt

Hello.

My command line is as follows:

messpp.exe vectrex -cart "[ROMPath]\[RomFile]" -view "[ROM]" -joy -now -nonewui

I then manually went into the "vectrex.lay" file (inside the vectrex artwork zip or folder for MESS), and changed each of the "view" nodes to match the name of the ROM file. For example, for Bedlam, the line in vectrex.lay is as follows:

<view name="Bedlam (USA, Europe)">

This works like a champ for me, and I'm using MESS .127.

I'm attaching my vectrex.lay file here. Let me know if this makes sense and works.

-Greg

Thanks for posting this, but...

it didn't work.

My Roms match, the overlays match, the line in vectrex.lay matches. Not sure what the problem is. Maybe it's in MESS?

Thanks for posting this, but...

it didn't work.

My Roms match, the overlays match, the line in vectrex.lay matches. Not sure what the problem is. Maybe it's in MESS?

I take that back... it works! It took me a while, but I finally got it working, and it makes a HUGE difference.

Thanks!

btw what is messpp.exe? I don't see that exe file in the mess 0.127 archive all I see is mess.exe and messui.exe

I don't know what this is either.

But to make it work, it has a lot to do with the layout file. It must match the name of the ROM in that file, and it must be the same name in the zip file. Basically, make everything have the same name that is listed in the layout file and it should work.

Also... the file he included is a text file. It needs to be a .LAY file in order to work.

IMBerzerk

I named it like you say and it still don't work. All filenames match in artwork zip file, the lay file as well and in the roms folder the names match. The only way to change to correct overlay was to press tab and change the overlay that way, but then that overlay is the default for all roms.

I don't know what this is either.

But to make it work, it has a lot to do with the layout file. It must match the name of the ROM in that file, and it must be the same name in the zip file. Basically, make everything have the same name that is listed in the layout file and it should work.

Also... the file he included is a text file. It needs to be a .LAY file in order to work.

IMBerzerk

Check that the name within the zip file is the same. This is the name that should be in the layout file.

I named it like you say and it still don't work. All filenames match in artwork zip file, the lay file as well and in the roms folder the names match. The only way to change to correct overlay was to press tab and change the overlay that way, but then that overlay is the default for all roms.

OK, here. Before we do anything, make sure MESS knows where your Artwork folder is. It has to be pointed at it before anything will work. So check to be sure.

Now, Take this section of the .LAY file....

It begins at the element name....and ends at the close 'view' statement for each section. In each section, there is a name of the game. They all have to match the ROM name except the 'view name', but I matched that one anyway. I noticed that GameEx like to use the name of the ROM, so the 'view name' doesn't work. I think that's for MESS only.

- <element name="armor">

<image file="armor.png" />

</element>

- <view name="Armor..Attack (World)">

- <bezel element="armor">

<bounds left="0" top="0" right="3" bottom="4" />

</bezel>

- <overlay element="armor">

</overlay>

- <screen index="0">

</screen>

</view>

So using the section, and you have a ROM named Armor Attack in your list, it should look like this...

- <element name="Armor Attack">

<image file="Armor Attack.png" />

</element>

- <view name="Armor Attack">

- <bezel element="Armor Attack">

</bezel>

- <overlay element="Armor Attack">

</overlay>

- <screen index="0">

</screen>

</view>

Now, you need to rename the layout for Armor Attack to 'Armor Attack', as it is written on the ROM file. So now you have the ROM, .LAY file and the layout all saying the same thing. Make sure you have the .LAY in the same ZIP file as the layout(s).... I have them zipped, you don't have to, I found it worked better if it was zipped. Now place the zipped file in the MESS 'Artwork' folder, make sure MESS has that folder defaulted as the Artwork folder as I stated above. Now renamed all screenshots, box art...etc... to the same name as the rom.

That's it. It should work now. If not, post your layout file section for Armor Attack and tell me what you have the layout named to, and the ROM.

We'll get it, like I said, it took me a while, but I got it. Now I have all ROMs working with accompanying layouts. I just have to get the 'Spectrum' version to work now... but why bother, it's in 3D and I can't see it that way. ;)

IMBerzerk

• 5 months later...
where can i find vectrex overlays anyone have a zip file of all vectrex overlays

hello just updated to mess 130

can anyone help me out with getting vectrex overlays for this version

and where to place them so they work with mess 130

i have the vectrex games working fine in mess 130 just no overlays

thank you all

• 1 year later...

hello just updated to mess 130

can anyone help me out with getting vectrex overlays for this version

and where to place them so they work with mess 130

i have the vectrex games working fine in mess 130 just no overlays

thank you all

still had no luck with this can anyone help thank you

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hate to bump an old thread but, updated my MESS to .137 and I can't get those overlays to work. Anyone get this figured out for .137?

Have a look here. Sorry we didn't get to you sooner. I guess this post got buried under other posts. If that doesn't work then post back and we'll try to troubleshoot. Note that I recommend ParaJVE. It comes with all the files needed to run and it runs very well IMO.

Have a look here. Sorry we didn't get to you sooner. I guess this post got buried under other posts. If that doesn't work then post back and we'll try to troubleshoot. Note that I recommend ParaJVE. It comes with all the files needed to run and it runs very well IMO.

Thanks fRequEnCy, I'll give this another go. I did try ParaJVE a while ago and can't remember what problem I had running it. I'll try MESS and then I'll fiddle around with ParaJVE once more.

Oh and thanks for digging up this oldie, haven't played my Vectrex since.

Thanks fRequEnCy, I'll give this another go. I did try ParaJVE a while ago and can't remember what problem I had running it. I'll try MESS and then I'll fiddle around with ParaJVE once more.

Oh and thanks for digging up this oldie, haven't played my Vectrex since.

ParaJVE does take a little tweaking to work in a front end but it's something I could easily do and help you with. Also here if you wanna get working in MESS.