All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

gamex vs mamewah opinions wanted

reko19

I understand that choosing the FE is very subjective. For those of you who switched from Mamewah, what was the reason? A feature you couldn't live without, support, documentation, etc. Thanks.

Functionality.

I have tried many Fe's and still do occasionally. I find Gameex to be able to do everything I want.

If you are looking for one concrete reason Im sorry I cannot give you one.

MameWah is a good FE and requires very little resources.. but it lacks the bells and whistles Gameex has.

To be honest I dont take advantage of all the Extras gameex has to offer I just find other Fe's limiting.

Have you tried Gameex? What do you think?

I understand that choosing the FE is very subjective. For those of you who switched from Mamewah, what was the reason? A feature you couldn't live without, support, documentation, etc. Thanks.

MameWah is no where near as well developed as GameEx.. One of the GameEx features that keeps me with it is the ability to have details of romsets with each emulator, ie. type, year, publisher, game info & trivia..

GameEx is also a brilliantly supported Fe, in fact it is far more than an FE, it is a fully featured media centre (almost) and can be customised to a huge degree.

Also, Tom is a great help!

I have looked at all the current frontends last week (to compare there rendering of animated snaps) and was glad to return to the happy house that it 'Gameex villa'

Oh - and some of the frontends were totally incapable of playing avisnaps at 60fps...

Thanks for the replies. I downloaded and messed around with Gamex a little. So far overwhelming number of features and options. I do like the look and feel of mamewah. I am sure with a little tweaking I could have gamex to look and feel the way I want.

Thanks for the replies. I downloaded and messed around with Gamex a little. So far overwhelming number of features and options. I do like the look and feel of mamewah. I am sure with a little tweaking I could have gamex to look and feel the way I want.

If you have any problem setting anything up make a topic and youll be up and running in no time.

Install GameEx and run the Theme Editor from the start menu. There is a menu item that does it (I believe it's built into the open command. I have not done this personally, but I have seen a number of results from those who have used it and it looks good. I can take a look this evening if you need help and no one else gets to it first.

MameWah is no where near as well developed as GameEx.. One of the GameEx features that keeps me with it is the ability to have details of romsets with each emulator, ie. type, year, publisher, game info & trivia..

Mamewah can do this.

I have looked at all the current frontends last week (to compare there rendering of animated snaps) and was glad to return to the happy house that it 'Gameex villa'

Oh - and some of the frontends were totally incapable of playing avisnaps at 60fps...

I'm currently doing some testing on a 233mhz laptop and mamewah runs the avisnaps just fine. They're encoded using xvid and are all 60fps.

Almost all fe's have powerful features is just that you need to spend time learning how to use it. Personally I don't think there's a one must have fe. I think it's more of a matter of preference.

Mamewah can do this.

I'm currently doing some testing on a 233mhz laptop and mamewah runs the avisnaps just fine. They're encoded using xvid and are all 60fps.

Almost all fe's have powerful features is just that you need to spend time learning how to use it. Personally I don't think there's a one must have fe. I think it's more of a matter of preference.

Also, Mamewah does not install under vista.. The setup files ocx will fail on installation (unless there is a workaround i failed to find)

Just to add my 2 cents.....

On a cab I prefer...How shall I say, a raw interface......I grew up on ArcadeOS....

It was to the point...Not flashy.....

Which is all I want in a Cab FE.......

So MameWah was the natural choice when moving up from DOS.......

Now GameEX is Flash with bling and more bling.......Ideally suited for out of cab PC use in my case.....

I use it nightly for streaming internet radio....(9412 is the Dogz) and launching a Jukebox proggy....

It really is horses for courses.....

Luv em both..........

One feature I'm becoming reliant on is the new Search option in GameE, not sure if MameWah has anything like this, I love just searching for some random word and seeing what games appear on the different systems :)

Stu

One feature I'm becoming reliant on is the new Search option in GameE, not sure if MameWah has anything like this, I love just searching for some random word and seeing what games appear on the different systems

Stu

Yea it actually does it's called "Find Game". Not sure if it's list specific though.

Also, Mamewah does not install under vista.. The setup files ocx will fail on installation (unless there is a workaround i failed to find)

I have no idea. :D This is the first time I heard of this. But i'm not sure why anyone would install vista over xp for cab use anyways.

Yea it actually does it's called "Find Game". Not sure if it's list specific though.

I have no idea. :D This is the first time I heard of this. But i'm not sure why anyone would install vista over xp for cab use anyways.

Mame runs much better in 64bit mode and Vistax64 is much better supported software and driver wise than XPx64, that's what made me choose a stripped down version of Vista for my cab

With all the bells and whistles removed it runs just a smooth as XP, though I am running it on a dualcore 3.16 :)

Stu

Not everyone wants a Cab sitting in there living room.. The original post was regarding the pro's and con's of 2 fe's, not which is the better cab fe. I have a lovelly 24' quad core desktop system running vista (for my sins - don't anyone start a vista v xp thread), which works and runs a dream. Mamewah does not work under vista, though i have tried it just over 6 months ago. I prefered Gameex then, though I have no idea what has improved in Mamewah. All I do know is that Gameex has improved tons. So what was a great fe even then is now an even better fe now. I see no reason to use another fe as it does all i need and a whole lot more. And Tom is very quick to listen and implement user requests - What more could anyone wish for???

I have mamewah running on my Vista machine and it works great. I do prefer Gameex for all of the extra features. All I can really suggest is to try them both and see what one you like better.

how did you get it working?

I just installed it last week to see how I liked it. I didnt even know there was issues with Vista and Mamewah. I just went to the main mamewah site and downloaded the newest version and also downloaded the requested system files on the dowload pages. It worked fine on my Vista Premium. I only ran Mame so I am not sure if there are issues with other emulators but I dont why there would be.

I just installed it last week to see how I liked it. I didnt even know there was issues with Vista and Mamewah. I just went to the main mamewah site and downloaded the newest version and also downloaded the requested system files on the dowload pages. It worked fine on my Vista Premium. I only ran Mame so I am not sure if there are issues with other emulators but I dont why there would be.

Strange - It is the system file installer that usually causes problems installing files? Did check forums and saw lots of people talking about this problem, and talk of a new verison being made that works in vista.? Well.. I had the same problem. Not that i wanted to run it as such, just was gonna chack it out so that i could be able to better answer this topics title