All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

SNES Content added at EmuMovies

Circo

Before I head out I just wanted to drop a quick word that I have just posted the SNES Carts and Boxes sets up over at emumovies.com

This set was ALOT of work but I feel pretty good about it. I started with the set from the screenshot archive, which has about 170 scans. Over the last month I have scoured the internet and after much hunting and cropping, I give you 705 cartridge scans and 722 box scans!

All files are in the no-intro format.

jurassic-park-v11-u.jpg

Question for you guys, since this kind of thing seems to get tempers up quick these days. It was brought up on arcadecontrols.com that maybe I should ask permission to use the No-Intro naming standard. I never in a million years would of considered that. By using the No-Intro naming standard on my releases am I supporting the No-Intro group or am I somehow causing them harm :(

Feedback??

Well I personally don't see it as a matter of aid or harm in using any naming standard.

If you wanted to try and remain in the clear...you could simply use numbering for names then include batch scripts or the like to rename the files to any standard, allowing the end user to make the choice.

I personally dont see how it should concern nointro. If it were me I wouldnt worry about it unless the nointro group specifically contacted you about it. Anywhere you look there will will be someone with a problem about something.

EDIT: I personally like the no intro standard, but nologic does have a good Idea.

Well I personally don't see it as a matter of aid or harm in using any naming standard.

If you wanted to try and remain in the clear...you could simply use numbering for names then include batch scripts or the like to rename the files to any standard, allowing the end user to make the choice.

Not a bad idea, depending on how much set up time, we are eventually talking about over 100,000 files.

Personally,I've never been a fan of the No-Intro sets. Now this is only a personal point of view, not to be taken directly at face value. I prefer the GoodName sets. The first reason is because it cuts your number of files down almost 90% due to combining like games together. Also, it saves disk space is about as much percentages. Plus, GameEx now natively supports GoodMerge, so it only makes since.

HOWEVER... If you were to release a GoodName version of your files, it wouldn't necessarily work right. The way it's setup right now, all of the movies are in the folder, already extracted. So you're still going to have a huge folder with a huge number of files to deal with. If you wanted to consolodate space and files, you could merely release 1 video for each game, then you're limited to just videos of each game set, and not the individual games inside. This may be ideal in some cases, but the way GameEx works will sometimes cause complications.

For Instance... I downloaded your complete set of Sega Genesis roms, art, manuals, and movies from one of the torrent sites the "experienced" members here usually frequent. I belive it was a no-intro set, as you have mentioned that's the way you doing it. For the most part, GameEx's snap match set to "slow - best match" works out great. But it gets less accurate when you hit games like Sonic the Hedgehog. When you get to those sets of games, it plays the wrong video. This is because GameEx doesn't know which video to play. "Sonic the Hedgehog.7z" would contain probably 50 different versions of the game, both non-official and official. So the video it plays may be from some unofficial remake, or may be a completely different game intirely. A good example of this is the Nintendo set. Go down to Super Mario Brothers. Super Mario 3's video is wrong. There's no way around it when you're using a GoodMerge ROM set with a No-Intro video set.

So anyway, it's like 2:00am here and I'm just ranting on about nothing. Just wanted to let you know that even though they don't ALWAYS sync with the right video to the rom, it does work for the most part in my case. And I'm very happy to see you doing this for us. Perhaps someday in the future, when you finally have all your sets done, I could assist in getting them all properlly named for GoodMerge as well. Keep up the good work!

Personally,I've never been a fan of the No-Intro sets. Now this is only a personal point of view, not to be taken directly at face value. I prefer the GoodName sets. The first reason is because it cuts your number of files down almost 90% due to combining like games together. Also, it saves disk space is about as much percentages. Plus, GameEx now natively supports GoodMerge, so it only makes since.

HOWEVER... If you were to release a GoodName version of your files, it wouldn't necessarily work right. The way it's setup right now, all of the movies are in the folder, already extracted. So you're still going to have a huge folder with a huge number of files to deal with. If you wanted to consolodate space and files, you could merely release 1 video for each game, then you're limited to just videos of each game set, and not the individual games inside. This may be ideal in some cases, but the way GameEx works will sometimes cause complications.

For Instance... I downloaded your complete set of Sega Genesis roms, art, manuals, and movies from one of the torrent sites the "experienced" members here usually frequent. I belive it was a no-intro set, as you have mentioned that's the way you doing it. For the most part, GameEx's snap match set to "slow - best match" works out great. But it gets less accurate when you hit games like Sonic the Hedgehog. When you get to those sets of games, it plays the wrong video. This is because GameEx doesn't know which video to play. "Sonic the Hedgehog.7z" would contain probably 50 different versions of the game, both non-official and official. So the video it plays may be from some unofficial remake, or may be a completely different game intirely. A good example of this is the Nintendo set. Go down to Super Mario Brothers. Super Mario 3's video is wrong. There's no way around it when you're using a GoodMerge ROM set with a No-Intro video set.

So anyway, it's like 2:00am here and I'm just ranting on about nothing. Just wanted to let you know that even though they don't ALWAYS sync with the right video to the rom, it does work for the most part in my case. And I'm very happy to see you doing this for us. Perhaps someday in the future, when you finally have all your sets done, I could assist in getting them all properlly named for GoodMerge as well. Keep up the good work!

I don't understand the number of files comment as the No-Intro is a pretty clean set as well as more up to date and the content is 1 per game not multiples.

I know which torrents you are talking about, those are not the same file sets at all. Those torrents are not EmuMovies releases, The new sets that I am putting out all completely match (File Names). The videos will be rereleased with the no-intro naming convention. But it is a work in progress, I only started working on this about four months ago, and it's alot of work.

I tried a goodmerged set and didnt like it. I hated opening the rom and having 20 of the same thing to choose from of which I had no idea what was working and whats not and whats what.

The cleanest set is the no intro and then taking nologic's (I think) advice and sorting the japan and euros and USA. then removing all the (E) and whatever. Then dropping the USA over Euro Then dropping that over Japan. So you get 1 file of the best available rom.

Thats my opinion anyways.

I tried a goodmerged set and didnt like it. I hated opening the rom and having 20 of the same thing to choose from of which I had no idea what was working and whats not and whats what.

The cleanest set is the no intro and then taking nologic's (I think) advice and sorting the japan and euros and USA. then removing all the (E) and whatever. Then dropping the USA over Euro Then dropping that over Japan. So you get 1 file of the best available rom.

Thats my opinion anyways.

OK now I understand exactly what goodmerged is, but I try to keep my game list as small as possible, right now I am focusing on (U) only, however I will add and requests that I get.

Well Stu already has a Fuzzy Logic app or two that could be tweaked to create say an INI file that splits the naming with the Pipe symbol or the like...then we can simply add numbering to prior to the names with a Pipe following...then I or Stu or HK or someone could write up a simple app that would change naming as desired by the end user.

This would also mean you wouldn't have to manually rename your own files prior to seeding.

[Game System]
val_0001=0001|No-Intro|GoodName

So ideally its not a big issue...mainly thanks to Stu having something more or less usable right now....hmm actually it is...hehe just a few minor more steps to do currently.

Anyways its some thing certainly do able.

Actually we could get as nutty as supporting all GoodName roms...tho I think GoodName users would loose more hard drive space to vid's than they would using No-Intro.

[Game System]
val_0001=0001|No-Intro|GoodName1^GoodName2^GoodName3^...

Sounds like a good idea to me. I just wonder where to get a list of all names from. Like GoodName needs a program for each console, or can they output the names to a text file? Would the program have to support GoodMerged (un-7Zip then rename?)

Should be an easy program to write if we can gather together all the names into workable files, and would be handy as hell being able to change back and forth between the naming conventions. Might work to add TOSEC names too.

Anyway if someone is happy to create the data files for converting names I can create the program to do it.

Ok, this sounds great and everything. Now the question still remains for me... which set to get? I've always used GoodMerged, especially since Tom's included 7zip/GoodMerge support. I thought that was what everybody had been using. If No-Intro is a smarter way to go, I'm game for it.