All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

To record Backglass I must check "Hide Backglass"

bushav

I don't think it has always been this way but for the last six months I have had trouble recording backglasses.  My log would show "Not Hide Backglass!" and then in the recording area of the log it would show "playfield video exists" " DMD video exists" and would not even show that it checked for a Backglass.  I started really noticing this when I started using Database Manager and was cleaning up my media files and tidying up my front end.

Today I tried multiple combinations of PinballX settings and Game Manager and Database Manager.  I have discovered that "hide backglass" must be checked (selected) in Game Manager for PinballX to look for a backglass video and if one is missing make a recording.  I prefer leave the backglass visable so there is a seamless transition between loading and game playing.  Of course, now I know to make sure it is "hidden" when recording videos for front end and then uncheck that selection.

My question is "why".  Why must "hide backglass" be selected in Game Manager to get a backglass recording using the single table "record video" button?  Could a change be implemented so that the "hide" features don't effect the recordings?

Thanks guys!

log.txt DBManagerLog.txt PinballXDatabaseManager.ini PinballX.ini

45 minutes ago, bushav said:

My question is "why".  Why must "hide backglass" be selected in Game Manager to get a backglass recording using the single table "record video" button?  Could a change be implemented so that the "hide" features don't effect the recordings

Easy, so there's this option to hide the PinballX backglass video while you're playing a game. If you hide it, the game itself can show its own backglass. But if you don't hide it, PinballX will show its media or the default video if there's no media.

It does not make sense to record PinballX's own media. Therefore, if the "Hide Backglass" option is not selected, PinballX will simply skip recording the backglass video.

The latest programs like VPX and Zen Pinball FX take over the screen even if you choose not to hide the backglass. This creates a smooth transition between PinballX and the game, but PinballX won't record it.

So, we trick the system by using DBM's bulk video to record the backglass. If you set it to not hide the DMD but record the backglass, it'll capture it If no media. Is present

I hope this make sense and hope I explained it correctly

Thank you for the explanation.  Humor me for a moment as I describe why I don't hide the backglass expcept on Pup pack tables.

If you "hide backglass during game" 

1) You browse tables in the front end and see the table, backglass, topper, DMD etc. change with the table.

2)  When you select a table the backglass goes "blank" and only the table loading media is shown.  In my case a table video.

3)  Upon completion of table loading the B2S and the table are active.

If you Don't "hide backglass during game"

On step 2 above the backglass video remains while the table is loading and you do not get the glitch of losing the backglass while loading

On step 3 above the B2S is on top of the backglass video so you actually see the B2S and the scoring and forget the backglass video is there

To me it is a more prototypical experience to not have the backglass go "blank" while waiting for the table to load.  Now with pup packs I must hide the backglass video because it doesn't play nice with the pup player and they fight each other for screen priority.

But in summary you guys are the ones putting the effort into this product so I only offer an opinion.  Manipulating the settings for recording is no big deal now that I realize what I must do.  Thank you for all you guys do and just consider the above if it is a worthwhile consideration.

9 hours ago, bushav said:

To me it is a more prototypical experience to not have the backglass go "blank" while waiting for the table to load.  Now with pup packs I must hide the backglass video because it doesn't play nice with the pup player and they fight each other for screen priority.

You are utilizing the "hide backglass" function for an unintended purpose, which I also do :D .

You are using it as a 'loading backglass' video/image that plays until another program takes over the screen. This is perfectly acceptable, but PinballX is not aware of this usage and assumes you wish to play the default PBX video. If you desire this feature to be officially supported (which I did not find in the PinballX enhancement/feature requests https://forums.gameex.com/forums/topic/22259-pinballx-enhancementsfeatures-requests/?do=findComment&comment=212499), you may want to request it, and perhaps Tom will consider implementing it.

In the meantime, you have the option to use DBM's bulk video method or try the PBX recorder, although I haven't personally used the latter.