All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx 5.31 Error - An error occured while checking for previous instance of GameEx

meester_bond

Hi,

I have a 2013 GamePro 230 arcade cabinet which has been working fine until recently and now boots to this error message:

Error - An error occured while checking for previous instance of GameEx

It's running Windows XP and I have tried the suggestion of uninstalling .net 1.1 and installing .net 2.0 but GameEx complains it needs .net 1.1.432.  I re-installed this version but the error message just comes back.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for moving forward? 

Thanks

GameEx v5.31 is quite old and well beyond our current ability to triage, I'm afraid.

If you can locate the log.txt file this may give us more to work with.

I make no promises that there will be much more that can be done than to recommend that it's time to upgrade your kit.

You may have been confused by my suggestion to back up your installation (save it somewhere local to you, on a thumbdrive or the like). ;) 

I looked at the log and it doesn't say anymore than what you reported:

07:26:30.9  9/1/2024:  GameEx: Version 5.31: Starting Log
07:26:30.9  9/1/2024:  Operating System Platform: Win32NT
07:26:30.9  9/1/2024:  Operating System Name: Windows XP
07:26:30.9  9/1/2024:  Operating System Version: 5.1.2600
07:26:30.9  9/1/2024:  ERROR: An error occured while checking for previous instance of GameEx
07:26:30.9  9/1/2024:  This can be caused by a bad windows or .net framework install.
07:26:30.9  9/1/2024:  GameEx will likely function incorrectly as it cannot check for running processes
07:26:30.9  9/1/2024:  GameEx will now exit with errors
07:26:30.9  9/1/2024:  Application-defined or object-defined error.
07:26:31.0  9/1/2024:  ERRORS DETECTED: EXITING

You could try to install the latest version, but be prepared for the possibility of having to update configurations, update emulators, etc. due to compatibility. Over-the-top install would not be recommended for such a jump in versions as the gameex.ini format is much different. 

Also, I am not sure that you will not run into issues due to monitor, controllers, or other peripherals in your cab as you are looking at 11+ year old kit. You may also run into .NET errors due to backwards compatibility. .Net 4 is the oldest that is currently supported in the latest versions of GameEx, but that will not last for much longer per Tom's post HERE.

If the original manufacturer is still around, you may be able to get some details about your specific system and upwards compatibility for OS with the PC and peripherals for a newer OS, although hard for me to say if possible not knowing what was installed in your kit.

No not confused just thought it more useful to have everything included.  As you say the logfile contains no more useful information.

Is there not a repository for old GameEx versions like v7?  The old threads reference this with.net 2.0 as a solution as there was obviously a bug with the original using 1.1.

There is no repository going back nearly that far. The oldest that is available 18.11 found in the download change log. I wish I could tell you something that would make this better for you but I'd have to lie, so I won't.

image.png

What changed on the machine? I am assuming it is not connected to a network so would not get updates for anything?

You could try and ensure GameEx is running as admin which is normally default on windows xp and controlled by the user account.

This issue could potentially be caused by anti virus software. Anything installed?

6 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

What changed on the machine? I am assuming it is not connected to a network so would not get updates for anything?

You could try and ensure GameEx is running as admin which is normally default on windows xp and controlled by the user account.

This issue could potentially be caused by anti virus software. Anything installed?

Nothing changed - it just stopped working and it's standalone so no updates.   I checked it's running as Administrator which it is.  The hard drive has 30Gb free space so at a loss really.

6 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Would probably make sense to upgrade and the price isn't an issue (configuring a new system might take a while) but just wanted to see if there's a way of fixing what's there given it functioned fine.

Are there any cmd line parameters that can be added for verbose logging?

Windows Firewall is disabled and there's no AntiVirus running.  The PC was dedicated for the arcade cabinet so it has nothing but basic Windows install and GameEx, drivers etc on top.  In fact there's very little running at all when GameEx starts.  It tries to run sleep.exe a few times but not sure what it's supposed to be doing?image.thumb.jpeg.d53f3f3ffab54722b2bf126a9326bc36.jpeg

So some success.  GameEx runs but then this error comes up:

image.thumb.jpeg.996ef6e66c0cffad2a747aced88793f6.jpeg

I need a mouse connected as none of the buttons will clear it.  Once cleared the main menu starts - again I can't select an item without the mouse but the stick does navigate the menus.

image.thumb.jpeg.48a6d920f448a0f1d9865d2a41ca6f36.jpeg

The reset button underneath brings up this menu but again can't  select an item:

image.thumb.jpeg.53527b45ce153bfea543360aed14c682.jpeg

Eventually with the help of the mouse I can play a game:

image.thumb.jpeg.9b38a4a1ef57100b6ffbb822f1bc78ce.jpeg

May help if we know what version # and flavor you are running of MAME as there are issues with earlier versions. I am guessing that you may be running into a conflict with that.

Also, please attach your newest gameex.ini and log.txt files from this newest install. Thanks.