All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] How to remove or change naming of "by developer" in main menue field?

u-man

Hello gentlemen :) ,

As the topic title says, i want to change (or remove entirely) the naming of "by developer" in the main menue field. It is visible, when it comes to sorting the games, like by name, year, company etc.

I already found this topic here:

but this is "Genres" and not "by developer". Might work for "by developer" too, but i would need the exact wording / line of code, that i need to put into my .ini file. It also does not solve the problem, if i only want to change the naming of the option. I could not find it anywhere in "custom" texts.

Here is a screenshot of my problem:

report-3.thumb.png.e8e5e498b3c6a2c9fb6ac518ae25cc2a.png

Thanks for any help in advance, u-man :)

This would be a different pursuit as the Remove "Genres" Main Menu thread is a different location altogether within GameEx Arcade Edition menu system.

This one is in the "Tool Bar" across the top of the display (GameEx only) and, if I recall correctly, may be a hard-coded item, until it isn't (meaning @Tom Speirsmight have a similar enable/disable line that could be manually entered into the GameEx.ini file to modify the toolbar entries.

I did look and did not see any entries for "bydeveloper" or "By Developer" from within the GameEx.ini with which to experient, so will defnitiely need Tom's guidance. If this requires a coding change then it may need to be addressed as a Feature Request.

Thank you Draco for looking into this.

I know it worked in my old theme, but I cant remember how this was done. The only thing I know, it is possible, without changing something hardcoded. I also think to remember that to change "by developer", I needed to change some custom text, that did not had "developer" in it, i.e. changing "artist" would change/influence that "by developer" thing.

snap.png.91ce6d77c2eef97b6fa7b7d54ff4b4be.png

This screenshot was from my old theme and as you can see, there is no developer item in the top menue, so there must be some way.

I dont have anything from my old theme anymore, except the artwork. I was dumb and did not think about such stuff and that I will needed again :( . Now I realize that there was a lot of things to think about BEFORE emptying the trash can. :( :(

I attached my new theme.ini , if that helps any. Reading it, I did not found anything useful regarding the topic here.

Theme.ini

According to the code it is bydev and bymanu

LangText.bymanu = (inilang.ReadString("TEXT", "bymanu", "By Publisher"))
            LangText.bydev = (inilang.ReadString("TEXT", "bydev", "By Developer"))

15 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

But sorry, dont think it can be removed right now.

Thanks, Tom! I had a feeling it would be something coded that could not be disabled/enabled via either of the .ini file entries.

Ok, thanks for the answer(s) Tom :) . If it can not be removed (which i fully understand), can it be changed into something shorter, i.e. devs?
Also it would be then the only text, that cant be changed with "custom" language for the "sort menue". For all other "sort" menue options, i can decide what text should be showed and for "by developer" it is not possible?

How the hell did I do that, with my old theme 😃😜 (hammering my head)

Guess I will need to experiment a little with this.

Yeah, I am a complete idiot :blush::blush: .

Ok, my approach was to use the setup wizard, choose "custom" language and then change the text inside the setup wizard. Now I see, i should just use "english" as language and then edit the English.ini . Sorry guys, really, it was years ago doing these stuff. I feel ashamed :blush: . Guess this is solved too :) .

• u-man changed the title to [RESOLVED] How to remove or change naming of "by developer" in main menue field?
11 hours ago, u-man said:

Yeah, I am a complete idiot :blush::blush: .

Ok, my approach was to use the setup wizard, choose "custom" language and then change the text inside the setup wizard. Now I see, i should just use "english" as language and then edit the English.ini . Sorry guys, really, it was years ago doing these stuff. I feel ashamed :blush: . Guess this is solved too :) .

Not sure that is necessary to change the English.ini - I was able to change it just selecting Custom via Text/Language within the Setup Wizard:

image.png

Next, I went to the menu items that I wanted to change:

image.png

Note that I modified "By Category" to display only "Category" within GameEx. I also deleted the text next to "By Genre."

The end result - "By Category" now reads as "Category" and there is no reference to "By Genre" in the menu bar:

image.png

Since my install is in English, my Custom is going to show English - not certain that it displays in German if the default German install is selected. Something Tom would probably know.

However, I did go into the German.ini file and deleted "Nach Genre" and no By Genre reference within the tool bar:

image.png

Now I do have to wonder if the language .ini files are altered, will they be overwritten by subsequent updates to GameEx? If so, will there be problems with making the language .ini files Read Only that will prevent GameEx from potentially updating correctly or crashing?

• Like 1

First of all, everything you wrote is true / right, but you will not find "by developer" in the setup wizard, which was my point and why i could not change that. You will find it only in the language .ini files ;) . So it might be something for Tom to consider. It is not available in the setup wizard.

I am happy for your find out, especially to have the options for entirely removing "sorting" stuff. Great find, Draco 👍.

Any GameEx Update will overwrite the .ini file. I remember this, because i did every update manually in the past. I dont know what happens if the .ini file is "read only" , it was something i never tried, because I wanted to avoid any errors during the update. Instead I manually replaced the language.ini file. Aaah memories are coming back :D .

It is also better, to do changes with the language.ini files, because you have at least a file to look at, which with "custom" is not the case.

Thanks for the response. Memory gaps being filled here as well. At least we know where to make the manual changes if one desires and potential caveats.

Agreed. By Developer (and By Publisher) additions should show in Custom settings within the Setup Wizard.

• Like 1