All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Microsoft to block installing any app?

Tom Speirs

So, its still in testing and not even a beta but I came across this yesterday. Its on my list to test my apps and pay Microsoft if needed. I'm not 100% sure if its just unsigned exes or certain ones and Microsoft manages a naughty list (or good boy list) but from the below it looks like any exe.

You already have to pay Amazon, Google and Apple for the privilege of giving away free software so my take is I am seeing this going the same.

On a positive note it has been reported that Apple is allowing emulators in their store.

So I quickly tested the following. All install and work without issue. I downloaded with Edge and used the embedded Windows extraction.

GameEx, GameEx Arcade Edition, PinballX, Lav Filters, Open Shell and Instant Sheller.

So it seems there is maybe a naughty list for certain apps or this guy was talking shit!

7zip also also installed without issue. 

Windows 11, version 24H2 (26100.2) amd64

That is how it went for me.

I tested with VPN inactive and using the normal pihole blocklist

• Like 1

On my laptop I am receiving Insider updates and have had no issues to date. 

Off topic, did you know that Windows 11 has added support for  .tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, .tar.zst, .tar.xz, .tgz, .tbz2, .tzst, .txz, .rar, and .7z files? You will still need the respective apps that require password-protected archives. It has been a long time coming!

Windows 11 Finally Adds Support for RAR, 7-ZIP, and 5 Other File Archives

Since Open shell works now I've moved to 11. I noticed the 7 zip support but I still use 7 zip GUI. I guess it means though they scan inside your files when a government asks them to as the world moves toward compulsory csam! Not sure if I'm just set in my ways but I have no need for AI search, or a start menu that sucks donkey dick.

I have used AI but AI in an OS is just unnecessary bullshit for advanced users in my opinion. Probably a groundbreakingly step forward for people with serious disabilities though. Which is the upside and noble prize stuff.

Which insider channel do you use?

Im not using the insider program other than tests in a vm as i want something stable day to day and its only the dev and canary channel that are of interest to me.

I know you need the dev or canary channel though for 24h2 so you may not be on it.

(I wouldnt recommend the dev or canary channel if you get work done on the machine).

When 24h2 becomes beta Ill probably join you.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the news about Microsoft potentially blocking the installation of certain apps is definitely causing some ripples in the tech pond! Blocking apps that pay in dollars? That's like closing the door on a whole world of opportunities! Personally, I believe in freedom of choice, especially when it comes to the apps we use. It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole – it just doesn't quite click. But hey, every cloud has a silver lining, right? Maybe this could lead to some innovative solutions or encourage the development of alternative platforms. What do you guys think? Is this a step forward or a stumble in the wrong direction? Let's dive into this pool of opinions and see what floats to the surface!

Well, the latest updates to 23H2 are now blocking access to 2 network multifunction printers that were previously working with my laptop.

Drivers and related software updated to the latest versions. Beyond frustrated right now. 

I think that I may jump ship from the insider program as i had it to keep ahead of potential work issues. Since that is no longer needed in the near future, it is a good time.

Fortunately I was able to leave the Insider Beta program and received a 23H2 "Repair Update" which was successful. Since my printer is now working, I think it is safe to assume that a beta update was a likely culprit.

• 3 weeks later...

May 23h2 update (or some other May update) broke my microphone. I got to do a complete reinstall now. Tried an external usb mic still borked. Microphones show up and show audio input (up and down). Everything looks fine but no actual sound from any kind of mic. May update broke my ability to do a system restore too which by the way you have to manually turn on now. So full reininstall from iso today. Its a 13th gen intel i7 laptop so not like I am using garbage. Macs look better every day.

sudo apt-get Linux distro anyone?

I have considered going to Linux many times before, but so many things work-related and that I like run on Windows. Not to mention the learning curve of navigating and updating a new OS and apps to cover my very basic needs for Office apps. There are free MS Office alternatives (no subscriptions or purchase required) such as Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice - forks of the OpenOffice project.

I have several pieces of older kit that won't make the transition to W11 due to the draconian install requirements but will probably work just fine with most of the recent Linux distros available. Now which distro do I choose? 😕

So i tried System > Recovery > Reset PC for the first time.

i have to say it went pretty well.

Seemed clean, just one driver missing and Mic is working again.

interestingly no browser (Edge) was installed. I had previously removed it with a bloatware removable tool and it seemed to honour that. So I am back up now just got to install all my stuff..

I need to do the same for my wife's Windows 10 based HP laptop that is endlessly stuck trying to update. Have been holding off until I have time to download all of the proprietary software and driver packs.