All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[ATTN TOM] GameEx 18.59 Not Showing

Phantom

Hi Guys,

I just updated to GameEx 18.59 and when it starts, it goes to a black screen right after the loading screen. 

If Ileave it alone it will run Attract mode but when I quit that it goes back to the black screen. Also when I kill the GameEX and/or HideOS process, my Desktop is gone. I still have my Taskbar but the Desktop is blank and I can't do anything like Right Click on it. Only got it back by rebooting the PC.

I've attached my Log if it help see something.

Nothing else has changed except for the Update.

Thanks

log.txt

I just installed the latest via the internal update and GameEx launches without a problem. A few questions:

- Did you install via download or internal update?

- If via internal update, have you attempted to download and perform an over-the-top install?

I tried doing a manual update and theres no change.

I tried disabling plug ins (Marquee Masher) and no difference. Also disabled HIDE DESKTOP and GAME EX still runs in a black screen but when I kill it I do get me desktop back. 

Yes I usually run HideOS and I disabled it and it still shows GameEx as a black screen but when HideOS is disabled I get my desktop back after killing GameEx but if HideOS is enabled I can’t get my desktop back even after killing GameEX

The log file didn't show anything obvious to me earlier. I tested the same version and the upgrade was successful and I am unable to replicate your error. 

I am going to flag this one for @Tom Speirs attention. In the mean time can you investigate the Windows Event Viewer for any error messages or conditions?

• Draco1962 changed the title to [ATTN TOM] GameEx 18.59 Not Showing

Also, I apologise if i am introudicing a few bugs. They are easily resolved but i am working on cross platfoerm which uses the same code base. Im wondering if its because I removed the nag screen picture in this last release although i tested without loading screen etc and its fine for me.

3 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

your getting the issue too Draco, is that what you said? im not getting it here. Im confused because you said apngs wernt working?

What is the file date on gameex.dll or and exe? Should be 8:42 am 19th eastern time

What theme?

I cannot replicate this issue on my system.

I opened a thread for an unrelated issue for the same version.

58 minutes ago, Phantom said:

I disabled Plugins and I'm still getting the black screen.

Does anyone have a link to GameEx 18.56 so I can downgrade to see if it works like it did before

Go to the Downloads > GameEx section, then to See Change Log, click the drop down, select the prior version and click Download This File.

image.png

• Thanks 1

I tried the new update (15.60) and I still get a black screen. I also tried different themes and the only one that works is GAMELAUNCHER.

I do notice that in my log file, HIDEOS always loads even if I have it disabled in settings.

Also what does GameEx do that would make my Desktop icons disappear even after GameEx has shut down? 

I’m not worried about it so I don’t want you to stress either. I’m perfectly content at 15.56 for now.

I’ll attach files next time I’m near my machine.

thanks Tom

Hi,

So I tried a few other things like disabling my other monitors, killing running programs and nothing helped. 

I realized that even though I have a black screen, I can still hear GameEx running in the background. When I move the controller I hear it toggling the menu, and then when left alone attract mode starts. Its really just a black screen running over GameEx.

And I don't know how to get my desktop icons back after killing GameEx without rebooting the computer and not letting GameEx start.

I've attached my GameEx log, config and the theme I use in case theres anything that you can see. 

I'm no where near a programmer but I think theres something new that is running some kind of HideOS.

Thanks again for your help

GameEX Files.zip

How are you exiting GameEx when you get the blackscreen over it? Unless you have modified the default, you should be able to hit ESC to go back to the desktop, which should then restore it.

I'm assuming you have tried this to no avail but asking anyways in attempting to wrap my head around the issue you are encountering.