All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Game Ex 18.2X Crashing after resuming from sleep

mace

I've found that GameEx has started crashing if it's asked to resume from sleep (S3) - I can replicate this on both my Mame machines which have different hardware and video cards/drivers.

A few notes (and the usual files attached)

During resume from sleep there are a number of 'select sounds' audible, at least two sometimes many more, that the sound you get when you select a game or item from the menu

Forcing GameEx.exe to run as admin and disable full screen optimisations will allow the program to sometimes resume from sleep but there are still errors.

I've tried disabling videos, reinstalling the LAV support, changing many of the video settings but with no joy.

GameEx Lite works with no issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

GameEx.ini log.txt

Righto Tom, GameEx Lite works fine (see earlier comment). I've also reinstalled the latest .Net (6.0.1.0) that made no difference, then I managed to find an old version of GameEx (16.97) in my backup folder which predates the 17.22 change to .Net 6 - and that worked perfectly so it looks like it could be .Net 6 related. 

I've attached the 16.97 log for comparison. 

log.txt

Tried on x64 and x32 both will resume but still with multiple 'select sounds' during which there is a long pause where the screen appears frozen, blanks and then finally resumes. This is very similar to Running the  GameEx .Net 6 x64 version with 'Run as Admin' and 'Disable Full Screen Optimisations' checked in the programs compatibility settings.

GameEx Lite 18.29 x64 and the old GameEx 16.97 x64 do not exhibit this behaviour and resume immediately with the videos running.

log GameExSetup_XP_and_32bit installed as x32.txt log GameExSetup_XP_and_32bit installed as x64.txt

I've done a complete rebuild using the XP and 32 bit version 18.29 in x64 mode and the issue is consistent, the 'select sounds' during the resume vary in frequency between resumes - the log below shows a particularly bad one. I believe they are linked to the 'Device Change' entry in the log.log.txtlog.txt