All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

A little gameex/tv support questuin

slipstream19

when can we expect some kind of TV support in gameex?

how far is the project gone?

i dont mean exactly date, but is it before christmas, next summer or is it a year ahead from now?

I have it running on a 27" Sony CRT Television. I just set it so that the displays are cloned. i suppose this is in an arcade cabinet though, so It doesn't bother me any.

I have it running on a 27" Sony CRT Television. I just set it so that the displays are cloned. i suppose this is in an arcade cabinet though, so It doesn't bother me any.

Not sure but I think he means tv tuner support like watch and record tv shows as you do in MCE.

Jay T

yes

i ment TV tuner "tv in" support. with a easy "record" thingie like myth TV n so on

with this built in game ex. it would be everything, (and i cant possible come up with any other major feauture), that a media center htpc system coudl be.

i heard rumors of tom working on it but i would like som confirmation about how far the project has come and when we could expect something? :)

Check the topics in red at the top. He has people lined up for beta testing...

yeah i know theyre beta testing it.

but im so exited :) , what do you think? theyre not giving any report on the progress or when we can expect something. im just very curious. maby tom could say something like "maby if everything goes well well have tv in support in february - march"

or how far they have come? :D

yeah i know theyre beta testing it.

but im so exited :) , what do you think? theyre not giving any report on the progress or when we can expect something. im just very curious. maby tom could say something like "maby if everything goes well well have tv in support in february - march"

or how far they have come? :D

Hi,

Its probably a while off yet, but I dont want to commit to anything, although I don't think it will be this year. I have made some progress, and have some code working that records and timeshifts s-video input.

I just don't seem to have so much time lately, but I am actively working on other things in GameEx, and theres still frequent releases.

I'm anxious to see a full rounded version of GameEx with tv support too, but I'm not desperate. I think Tom should work on getting everything working and running smoothly with what's already here first. Maybe throw in a couple of requests that are easy to do. But ultimately, hold off on tv-support until there's some solid time to work on it and get it done right.

Hi guys.

I think most things run smoothly in gameex already, (emulators, video, webradio and so on).

Therfore, on a personal note, i think tom should hire some other programmers to do the nitty gritty things optimizing gameex eaven further and debugging and stuff.

what things are there that dont work well in gameex? (cant come up with anything)

:)

therfore i think tom should stop working on the nittygritty and instead keep on working on the TVin support :)

With added TV support, gameex will be the absolute best and complete HTPC system around. (better than myth tv and portal. And with that much value added to gammeex, it could well justify a price increase (higher the donation fee), and that waytom could get rewarded more generously for his enourmus efforts! :)

anyway, thanx for the answer tom. i will be glad if i se some kind of support befor next summer (Y) :)

Hi guys.

I think most things run smoothly in gameex already, (emulators, video, webradio and so on).

Therfore, on a personal note, i think tom should hire some other programmers to do the nitty gritty things optimizing gameex eaven further and debugging and stuff.

what things are there that dont work well in gameex? (cant come up with anything)

:)

therfore i think tom should stop working on the nittygritty and instead keep on working on the TVin support :)

With added TV support, gameex will be the absolute best and complete HTPC system around. (better than myth tv and portal. And with that much value added to gammeex, it could well justify a price increase (higher the donation fee), and that waytom could get rewarded more generously for his enourmus efforts! :)

anyway, thanx for the answer tom. i will be glad if i se some kind of support befor next summer (Y) :)

To be honest with you GameEx does not generate nearly enough cash for me to be able to hire programmers to work on the main core. I do pay for work though from time to time, so it would be better to pay someone to do the tv support, unfortunatly there not many programmers out there that I could get to do it. I did actually try to get some help on it, so its down to me for the moment.

In addition TV support in GameEx is never going to be as good as MCE or Vista, so that kind of demotivates me quite a lot. Wheras some of the other things GameEx does can't really be beaten at the moment in my opinion.

Tv support should be an added feature, registered users only, and perhaps require another donation to enable. The name of the software is GAMEEX. See that first syllable? GAME, not TV. If it were called TVEX, then I could see why getting TV support would be more important. But the thing to realize is that it's a gaming front end first and formost. I'm really surprised in fact that Tom has even considered adding TV functionality. When you look at all the users, many (if not most) of them have arcade cabs that are running this. It wouldn't make since to have an arcade cab playing the local nightly news. In fact, it's pretty odd to have it playing movies. I'm perfectly happy with the software as a Gaming front end and nothing more. That is what I use it for. I have MCE, and it does all my TV, radio, movies, and music for me. Then I run GameEx to play games, nothing more. I believe that was the original intent of the softare in the first place.

Still, as I said in my previous post, it would be a nice thing to have TV support, but it shouldn't be priority over the gaming aspects. If and when the feature is completed, then I'll check it out. But I'll still be using MCE and probably would never use GameEx's tv.

• 2 weeks later...

thx for the reply tom!

gamex is the best ever though! thank god for you guys!!

i just thought of one thing though, would it be possible to run a 3rd party tv support program like myth TV via gameex? so using the gamex interface for everything exept for TV support, (then gameex automatically switches to another prograM)? i know you can configure alot of other interfaces with themes n stuff and one could get the other program to look very much like gameex but using their program for the specific TV in support?

if this would work then you could still do everything from gameex without having to exiting and opening up other programs.

anyone got this going/thought about this?

thx for the reply tom!

gamex is the best ever though! thank god for you guys!!

i just thought of one thing though, would it be possible to run a 3rd party tv support program like myth TV via gameex? so using the gamex interface for everything exept for TV support, (then gameex automatically switches to another prograM)? i know you can configure alot of other interfaces with themes n stuff and one could get the other program to look very much like gameex but using their program for the specific TV in support?

if this would work then you could still do everything from gameex without having to exiting and opening up other programs.

anyone got this going/thought about this?

This is how I have my system running. I'm using Media Center, then I chose "My Games" from the home menu to launch GameEx. You can probably use any program like this, such as Media Portal, etc. MythTV is a Linux only program. I know because I was originally going to use that before Media Center. But since I don't know jack sh!t about Linux, I decided to use something for Windows. If you want to have GameEx as your primary interface, and only use 3rd party for secondary TV, then you should be able to just make a shortcut to the program and have it run from GameEx in More Programs or something.