All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Draconus theme on GameEx

spamola

Do I need to be running the  GameEx Arcade Edition for this theme to appear as it does in the preview video? I'm running it in GamEx 16.49 and I don't get the background or the wheel menus that are shown in the preview video here:

I've attached my gameex.ini and log if needed, just really wanted to confirm that I'm not missing something in my setup to make this theme look like it does in that preview video.

Thanks!

log.txt GameEx.ini

@Draco1962 I've got the downloads started, I'll reach out if I get stuck again.

Thanks for the reply!

Looking forward to it! It's a big chunk o' data, so it will be a day or three on my crappy DSL connection.

I hear ya there. I wouldn't trade my little farm for anything.

@Draco1962 would storing my assets folder on an external drive have any ill effects? I'm quickly running out of space on my OS drive...

Not sure how you are setup. I have multiple drives on my PC, with the OS on c:\, programs on e\:, and assets on j\:. 

Best results if an internal or external drive assigned a drive letter.

Currently GamEx is installed on C: and all my roms, assets, etc reside C:\GameEx. I have a couple 1TB externals that are used for music and photo storage, and for backups. I'm adding a SATA card and a new 1TB internal drive, and I'm planning on moving the "big chunks" there once the parts are delivered, but I may try the USB external in the short term.

I'm guessing the paths in gameex are the real bulk of what I'll need to update, but I'm curious if I'll see any lag if I have the emus and roms there.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I finally got everything downloaded, but I'm not seeing a setting for video themes in MAME or Daphne in the setup wizard, am I just over looking it, or do I need to edit the GameEx.ini by hand?

Is there another setting that would hide these in the wizard? I'm pretty blind, but not completely...mame-wiz.thumb.png.ad167ebb0693a7faa582673b7fd8efff.pngdaphne-wiz.thumb.png.c8e8a68df63d9522e1f33a1231101456.png

May be overridden by the entries for background snap path. Clear, save your change and open GameEx Arcade again. Looks like you are screen capturing from regular GameEx which does not have support for video themes.

On 7/12/2020 at 1:28 PM, spamola said:

Do I need to be running the  GameEx Arcade Edition for this theme to appear as it does in the preview video?

That's from the opening post.  I guess there's no hope unless I switch to GameEx Arcade then?

37 minutes ago, spamola said:

That's from the opening post.  I guess there's no hope unless I switch to GameEx Arcade then?

Correct. Sorry I missed answering your original question with the simple "Yes" it deserved. :wacko:  It could have saved you a bit of back and forth and lengthy downloads if not using Arcade was your goal. In my defense, it was the start of a rough week when I first responded and attention to detail has not been my greatest asset in the days immediately following due to my mom's passing. We just buried her yesterday, so today is the first day starting to feel any normal.

You can setup GameEx to have customized system videos in the background, but not the video theme videos for each game.

• Sad 1

No worries man, it's not like my home arcade setup is more important than anyone's personal life. I'm Sorry for your loss, I know how rough losing a close family member can be. 

Thanks for all you do to contribute to this awesome community and hobby, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I'm going to look at GameEx Arcade, will I be able to install it to a folder separate from my GameEx install to "try it out"?

Yep! Install to c:\GameEx Arcade Edition\ and you'll be gold! When I first set it up, I opened the setup wizards for both versions and copied & pasted my settings and paths from one to the other. Couldn't be easier!

I'm grabbing it now, and I'm having a beer and playing some Golden Tee. I'll install tomorrow morning and report back.

Thanks again @Draco1962

Planning on trying out Arcade edition this weekend. I'll let you know if I hit any snags.