All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] update loop

sms2169

hello i recently lost my c drive and reinstalled windows.  all my arcade, gameex, roms, etc. are on my e drive.(whole arcade setup). so when i started gameex once i got my system up and running it ask me to update, i do and then restarts and does this over and over. i believe i have version 15.73. files attached, thx. i also tried to just download the newest from the website but it overrode my whole setup so reverted back to previous version from a backup drive. also after i close out of this i notice it puts a gameex folder inside of my original gameex folder and when i click that to open its a new setup

log.txt GameEx.ini runit.bat

Hey sms2169,

Sorry you are having these problems.

Normally installing GameEx over and existing version is fine as long as you are installing the right type such as installing GameEx over GameEx and GameEx Arcade or GameEx Arcade. The log.txt file you provided is from GameEx version 15.56 which I believe is from mid 2019. The latest version is 16.27. Of course, the more time between versions, the bigger likelyhood that something significant changed in the build enough that installing over isn't feasible.

However, you mention that you are seeing a GameEx folder within the GameEx folder and that is certainly not correct. It actually sounds like a big ol mess. Because of that, my first instinct is to suggest a fresh install.

Before we go there, I would like a littl emore background. How did you revert back using a backup? Since your C drive was wiped, GameEx would no longer be tied to the Windows registry. That would sort of make your install a portable install and I am not sure GameEx would run correctly in that situation.

If we do have to resinstall, are you ok going to version 16.27 or do you still have install files for 15.56 or 15.73? Please keep in mind that we usually do not provide old install files.

thx reddog, i have my drives backed up on spare drives. i have always only used the c drive for the operating system. e drive has always been all my arcade files. my key recognizes gameex and gives me my paid version. i would hope to not do a fresh install just because of the time it takes to reset up all my emulators and especially led blinky, but understand.  just not sure why it wants to create another folder inside my folder even after i deleted that folder it does it every time. it is definately a mess and might be best to delete all gameex files from all drives. was hoping files provided would lead to an easy fix to something im missing in either windows 7 or gameex. thx.

If you choose to uninstall and reinstall GameEx, save a copy of your gameex.ini elsewhere. Even if you choose not to copy it over the new gameex.ini or at least reference it for your emulator paths.

ok will do. that was going to be my next question as to which folders or files to save and paste in the new download. im assuming i can just copy the led blinky folder out of the plug ins and paste it in the new for same result. i will just delete old folders and start new with saving those files for new install, thx guys.

For LEDBlinky I would reinstall it from the download option (recent updates now supporting 64-bit if you choose to change to 64-bit GameEx) in the Setup Wizard. your  settings.ini (and controls.ini) should be all you need to save elsewhere then copy over or launch in a text editor and go through the manual setup and copy & paste from there. To be extra cautious you could save the entire LEDBlinky folder but be aware there are a few files that get installed in the root of the Plugins folder.

1 hour ago, Draco1962 said:

your  settings.ini (and controls.ini) should be all you need to save elsewhere then copy over or launch in a text editor and go through the manual setup and copy & paste from there.

Just to clarify, Draco meant to say that the GameEx.ini file that holds your settings, not the settings.ini.

My suggestion is that if you are going to completely reinstall (which again I think would be best), make a back up of the entire GameEx install so you have all the files handy. When you are happy that things are running 100%, get rid of them then. These are the things you can just copy over:

...copy your MegaMame Theme from the backup\GameEx\THEMES folder to the new THEMES folder (and then select it in the Setup Wizard)
...copy your old GameEx.ini from the backup\GameEx\CONFIG folder to the new CONFIG folder
...copy your old CustomMenu.ini from the backup\GameEx\CONFIG folder to the new CONFIG folder (if you use custom menus)
...copy your old CustomInput.ini from the backup\GameEx\CONFIG folder to the new CONFIG folder (if you use custom inputs)
...copy your old GameEx.ini from the backup\GameEx\CONFIG folder to the new CONFIG folder
...copy your old Plugins folder from the backup\GameEx\PLUGINS folder to the new PLUGINS folder
...copy your old Emulator database files from the backup\GameEx\DATA\EMULATORS to the new EMULATORS folder (easier than re-downloading

I tend to do this sort of thing alot when trying to troubleshoot other peoples issues. After moving a file, I like to go through the Setup Wizard and browse the parameters to see that they look right. I do not recall anything not being where it should be, but I like it as a sort of check.

I believe that's all of them, but I could be wrong. The only one I am hesitant about are the plugins. If you go to the newest GameEx version, you may need to upgrade some plugins...so you may want to review them on the website before actually moving them over.

5 hours ago, RedDog said:

Just to clarify, Draco meant to say that the GameEx.ini file that holds your settings, not the settings.ini.

The settings.ini file contains the LEDBlinky settings, so that was a correct statement relative to the plugin.

I learned about that file the hard way during recent 64-bit testing of LEDBlinky plugin. Fortunately there are not as many parameters to reenter for Pixelcade integration.

Since I had some issues with my system not properly overwriting the existing files, I pulled the system.ini from a back up the entire LEDBlinky folder.

The controls.ini may be another one to backup from the old installation as it contains per game settings for MAME and potentially other games.

• 2 weeks later...