All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Can Gameex AE boot MAME into "windowed" mode?

wrd1972

Trying to get Gameex AE to boot MAME into "windowed" mode, as opposed to full screen.

I have MAME configured so that when its booted directly and when it does, it starts in windowed mode. Even with this setting, Gameex still boots it and it appears in FS mode. So How can I get windowed node to appear?

Thanks

This has been asked before, but the only mode you can get beside fullscreen is fullscreen windowed. 

Keep in mind that GameEx Arcade is more geared towards a simpler interface and will not have all of the bells and whistles of regular GameEx.

Mame has two commandline options that you can use:
-window (or -w)
-nowindow (or -now)

You can add these options to the Mame Options in the Advance MAME Settings section. I believe that GameEx Arcade Edition has -window hardcoded.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fRequEnCy said:

I don't believe it's hardcoded but by default GameEx Arcade Edition adds the -nowindow switch.  So changing that to -window should give the desired results.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. Adding the -window flag to the Mame Options will have no effect.

When GameEx Arcade first came out, I tried a number of ways to get it to go into a windowed mode and was unable to do so. It's intended functionality as the Arcade version is offered as a streamlined setup of the standard GameEx. There are a number of settings that a user is able to alter in GameEX that have been hardcoded in GameEx Arcade.

58 minutes ago, RedDog said:

Sorry, but this is incorrect. Adding the -window flag to the Mame Options will have no effect.

When GameEx Arcade first came out, I tried a number of ways to get it to go into a windowed mode and was unable to do so. It's intended functionality as the Arcade version is offered as a streamlined setup of the standard GameEx. There are a number of settings that a user is able to alter in GameEX that have been hardcoded in GameEx Arcade.

Sorry but is not incorrect!  :angry::P

Adding the -window flag does run MAME in windowed mode.  I have tested and verified.  It is not hard coded in.  The problem is that HideOS.exe steals focus from it no matter what settings are chosen (i.e. Full Screen Windowed > Windowed and Hide Destop > No).  It is mentioned in this thread.  So options would be to delete the file as per Tom's suggestion, script something to kill that process when GameEx starts or just when MAME starts a game, or setup MAME as a stand-alone emulator which would lose out on lots of built in functionality.

Hi Jeremy, just to be clear that you've tested this via GameEx Arcade integrated MAME using the -window flag in the command line, and not regular GameEx,  right?

3 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Hi Jeremy, just to be clear that you've tested this via GameEx Arcade integrated MAME using the -window flag in the command line, and not regular GameEx,  right?

Yes sir!  That is correct! 

7 hours ago, fRequEnCy said:

Sorry but is not incorrect!  :angry::P

Adding the -window flag does run MAME in windowed mode.  I have tested and verified.  It is not hard coded in.  The problem is that HideOS.exe steals focus from it no matter what settings are chosen (i.e. Full Screen Windowed > Windowed and Hide Destop > No).  It is mentioned in this thread.  So options would be to delete the file as per Tom's suggestion, script something to kill that process when GameEx starts or just when MAME starts a game, or setup MAME as a stand-alone emulator which would lose out on lots of built in functionality.

You know, I stand corrected from the start. I was confusing windowed Mame with windowed GameEx Arcade without realizing it. GameEx Arcade is hardcoded to full screen; The emulators are indeed configurable. My apologies. Glad someone was there to correct me.  :)

Just now, RedDog said:

You know, I stand corrected from the start. I was confusing windowed Mame with windowed GameEx Arcade without realizing it. GameEx Arcade is hardcoded to full screen; The emulators are indeed configurable. My apologies. Glad someone was there to correct me.  :)

;)  Wasn't trying to correct but state that I wasn't incorrect.  I can't have that happening when I just got back.  :lol:

21 hours ago, fRequEnCy said:

;)  Wasn't trying to correct but state that I wasn't incorrect.  I can't have that happening when I just got back.  :lol:

Yeah, I had my brain wires crossed on that one. Not sure what I was thinking.