All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Game Ex Arcade error screen

Darthspike

Hi,

After the recent windows 10 update game ex arcade crashed when trying to start a game. I was able to get into game ex itself after restarting the computer a couple times and same result. After trying to start Game Ex arcade again only error screens followed with the error log stating it was crashing at loading the font. I read another post about this same issue and followed the instructions of installing that font and also updated to the newest  version of Game Ex arcade. I checked direct X to see if it had the latest version which it did (v12) and also updated my video drivers. Game Ex Arcade started normally and I went to play a game again and same result. The screen went black with the blue circular spinning wait wheel. No response from the keyboard or mouse clicks not even the windows key or ctrl-alt-del worked. Hard restart and now just another error screen, can't get into Game Ex arcade at all. I have included the log.txt and GameEx.ini files. Thanks for your help!

Spencer

GameEx.ini

log.txt

I am aware of the issue and it has been reported several times. Yes, it is an issue caused by Windows 10 Creators Edition due to new features (restrictions) of how windows handles fonts. Please try manually installing the font in the GameEx Arcade folder then reboot.

Thanks for the reply! I manually installed the font in the GameEx folder and rebooted. I get into GameEx just fine again, this has been the case after every reboot. I went to my favorites list selected a known working game (Asteroids) and selected to play the game and black screen of death again.  I then figured that this isn't a GameEx issue, must have something to do with Mame. So I thought of just trying to play the games directly from MAME and upon executing the mame.exe file and the mame64.exe file I instantly get the same black screen that I get when trying to play a game from Game Ex Arcade. I downloaded the latest most current version of mame 64 bit version to see if that was the problem and the same issue occurred with that. So my assumption is that this is an issue with MAME itself and the new Windows update. Not sure where to go from here? Going to start with the MAME forums.

Thankyou, I just realized that I am a dummy and not sure which font I am supposed to be installing now. I installed the Handel Gothic BT font as per the other thread I was reading and assumed that was the one, but reading the log file again I am not sure that is the correct one.  This line "at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Font..ctor(Device device, Font font)"  confuses me! What is the font I am supposed to be installing? Also how would this affect MAME from being able to work?

GameEx.ini

log.txt

If GameEx is crashing because of the font issue, then you will not get MAME working via GameEx anyways. Bottom line, use this thread to work on the font issue only to get GameEx working. Start a new thread once this issue is resolved and after you get MAME working outside of GameEx first!

Ok I feel like I am being attacked here. Just to be clear I do totally understand that MAME is a separate issue and I am looking into fixing that also. I was just asking a simple question and a simple HELPFUL answer would have sufficed. So here is my simple question again...What is the font I need to install to fix the Game Ex Arcade error issue? Thank you.

Relax, no one is attacking you. Tom was saying there are several threads that cover the font issue (search for the error on Google), and you should start there.

Then when it's time to start on MAME, please start a new thread.

Does your GameEx need updating? I thought this was fixed already...

https://www.spesoft.com/news/gameex-14-79.aspx#disqus_thread

Hi,

Yes it is Handel Gothic BT. Right clicking the file and installing it followed by a reboot should fix the issue.

The issue is fixed for new installs of GameEx and GameEx Arcade Edition but updating to Windows 10 creators edition does break things if a previous install was present.

Sorry that you got an abrupt response. I think we are just a little confused because if you had the font issue you would not even be able to get GameEx started up. If GameEx runs now the font issue is resolved for sure.