All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Steam game descriptions

mviars

Am I correct to assume that the descriptions for any game is found in the corresponding database chosen for that games emulator? If so should I also assume that the database is either made or edited with a program like SQLight?  Because if that is the case I dont believe I will be able to make one myself. So if all this is true is there a Steam database out there anywhere? I would just like to have the game info show in GameEx when highlighting the game because unlike most consoles and arcade game Steam indie and small developer games are unknown to most people.

The emulators do use database files. They can be found in the GameEx\DATA\EMULATORS folder. I have done some peaking and editing myself using SQLiteBrowser. Do keep in mind that if you intend to do your own edits, be sure to save the edited file separately or future updates will overwrite your file. I no longer bother with editing since updates are pushed out once in a while.

In the same folder, you will also find a steamdata*.ini files. I believe these are essentially the database files, but in an text format. These files are generated by GameEx based on the steam library, but I could not tell you how it goes about doing it.

Steam, EA Origin, and Uplay data is scraped from the respective sources and is not database derived as are the emulator selections.

You could setup Steam as an emulator perhaps and build a database, but it would be a bit of an undertaking with lots of maintenance. 

Ahh yes thanks my Florida friends for the replies.

RedDog: The SQlite browser was just what I was looking for as I was just looking into SQlite only and it seemed difficult to understand but this has a nice interface that I may be able to learn.

Draco: While the built in Steam support in GameEx is an amazingly simple setup I really need more control over certain aspects like what games to include since I have over 800 on steam. Plus since it will be installed on an arcade machine I do not want people to have access to games that would just not play well on arcade controls like a first person shooter or RPG's. 

I do have Steam set up as an emulator and so far everything is worknig great so far except for game descriptions/info in which case you may be right about it being a bit of an undertaking but if I can get it going I think the only maintenance would be when I add new games right?

Thanks again guys! 

I would recommend using one of the databases as a template. You will also need to know the Steam AppID for each game which is synonymous with the ROM names.

I started a Steam database a few years ago so you may want to take a look and see if this will help get you started. It is in Access .mdb format but I believe you should be able to convert it to SQLite fairly easily.

27 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

I would recommend using one of the databases as a template. You will also need to know the Steam AppID for each game which is synonymous with the ROM names.

I started a Steam database a few years ago so you may want to take a look and see if this will help get you started. It is in Access .mdb format but I believe you should be able to convert it to SQLite fairly easily.

I see maybe thats my problem I seem to be having right now. I had already started using another DB as a template as you suggested and entered the info needed but have nothing showing in GameEx descriptions as of yet. I guess it may have something to do the the game ID as you have suggested. My emulator that I have setup for Steam is using a rom folder with the games actual shortcuts with their game names but you are saying that I need to have the game ID number somewhere in my database for that game as well.

I still cant seem to get the info to show. I tried using the game ID in either the name or good name colums. I have the DB set for the steam emulator.

Using the Steam AppID is just one method that was discussed in the thread that I linked, but you could certainly use the shortcut name (minus .lnk of course) for the name to be referenced.

10 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Another thing you may want to check under Advanced Emulator Setup is whether or not you have Disable Info Page enabled.

Yeah I rermember having that exact problem before with a different emulator and so I had gone back and checked and it was off however enabling it still made no difference.