All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Game Ex crashing.

GMT25

5 hours ago, RedDog said:

@GMT25 Recheck your ROM Path/s in the MAME Settings. Your GameEX.ini currently shows it set to S:\MAME ROMs-1, which seams like an odd name for a directory. If it truly is the name of the directory, then the path should be set to S:\\MAME ROMs-1 (note the additional '\')

yep thats the correct drive and folder, thanks Mr. Dog )

@GMT25 I tried testing your GameEx.ini file on my setup (with minimal changes anyway) and I was able to get games running.

I notice that your log.txt does not show an attempt to play a game. It looks like it captured the compiling of the list instead. Would you please run a rom through GameEx (one you know for certain works fine outside GameEx), exit GameEx cleanly, and then repost your log.txt and gameex.ini files again. Thanks.

...and you can place both files in the same post.  :)

8 hours ago, RedDog said:

@GMT25 I tried testing your GameEx.ini file on my setup (with minimal changes anyway) and I was able to get games running.

I notice that your log.txt does not show an attempt to play a game. It looks like it captured the compiling of the list instead. Would you please run a rom through GameEx (one you know for certain works fine outside GameEx), exit GameEx cleanly, and then repost your log.txt and gameex.ini files again. Thanks.

...and you can place both files in the same post.  :)

GameEx.ini

log.txt

I didnt get a chance to load a game as after it did the game and list audit it just went blank and then message came up saying the Hide OS wasnt working, i just managed to get it back to desktop without having to restart my pc yet again. I wish i knew what is stopping it working. :( Although just noticed ive lost my task bar and screen so looks like another reset *sigh*

Sorry, I misunderstood your issue. I thought the Mame list had successfully compiled but that games would fail inside GameEx. Thanks for setting me straight.   :)

Since you mention HideOS is failing in some way, try changing Hide Desktop in the Display Settings to No so that HideOS does not try to run. Perhaps that app is hiding some error that may be displayed in the background.

Does GameEx try to rebuild the Mame game list each time you run it? The verify process is listed in each of the logs you uploaded. It should only need to run the first time Mame is set up or after changes are made to the rom path or Mame path. If it is rebuilding each time, you might also try running GameEx just to have it build the list and then close GameEx. Then, run GameEx again to try a game. Maybe that will tell us something as well.

I know that you said that mamearcade64.exe does work find outside of GameEx, but it may be worthwhile to try a different type like Mame32 or MameUI as a test. I tried to find a clean copy of mamearcade64 0.175 and all I found were user-compiled versions with various add-ins. I very much prefer to test with a clean copy from the guys who actually released their Mame version as it is much more likely that they know what they are doing when they compile.  ;)

If you recall where you got your mame copy from and if no roms were included, you could PM me the link and I might try testing it myself.

3 minutes ago, RedDog said:

Sorry, I misunderstood your issue. I thought the Mame list had successfully compiled but that games would fail inside GameEx. Thanks for setting me straight.   :)

Since you mention HideOS is failing in some way, try changing Hide Desktop in the Display Settings to No so that HideOS does not try to run. Perhaps that app is hiding some error that may be displayed in the background.

Does GameEx try to rebuild the Mame game list each time you run it? The verify process is listed in each of the logs you uploaded. It should only need to run the first time Mame is set up or after changes are made to the rom path or Mame path. If it is rebuilding each time, you might also try running GameEx just to have it build the list and then close GameEx. Then, run GameEx again to try a game. Maybe that will tell us something as well.

I know that you said that mamearcade64.exe does work find outside of GameEx, but it may be worthwhile to try a different type like Mame32 or MameUI as a test. I tried to find a clean copy of mamearcade64 0.175 and all I found were user-compiled versions with various add-ins. I very much prefer to test with a clean copy from the guys who actually released their Mame version as it is much more likely that they know what they are doing when they compile.  ;)

If you recall where you got your mame copy from and if no roms were included, you could PM me the link and I might try testing it myself.

Thanks Red, I'll try that now, the hide OS option is that in the wizard as i couldnt find it, I'll give you a link to a mame give me 10 mins bud thankyou :)

17 minutes ago, GMT25 said:

Thanks Red, I'll try that now, the hide OS option is that in the wizard as i couldnt find it, I'll give you a link to a mame give me 10 mins bud thankyou :)

Yes, it is in the Setup Wizard. In the first screen, select Custom and then the green arrow to the right. On the next screen, check Display Settings and then the same green arrow. Hide Desktop is about 10 lines from the top.

Hey GMT25,

I did do some testing with my rig on some ideas I thought might be the issue, but came up with nothing tangible. So here are a few more thoughts/questions:

Before, I thought your Rom path looked odd because it did not match the other paths in your config. Yesterday I realized that it was actually your rom path that looked right and the all the other paths that look odd. I tested it and believe that GameEx handles what you have ok, but to be safe, I wanted to ask you about it. You have your paths to your S-Drive listed as S:\\ instead of S:\. It's been a while since I have worked with path syntax, but I could not find a problem using the double slash in dos. On the off-chance that it does matter to GameEx, please remove that extra slash from the path in the GameEx Setup. After you make this chance,recompile your Mame Game list (it will likely ask you too anyway).

Also, I assume that there is nothing unusual about the S-Drive, correct? It is installed in your case or is an external drive.

In our private conversation, I had asked you why your mame file is named mamearcade64.exe since the page you pointed me to where you got your mame was mame.net and their releases are all named mame.exe. You did not make a comment on it. Unless you renamed your file yourself, I am tempted to suggest that you download a copy of mame0175b.exe for you as a test since it is the most basic version of mame 0.175 that there is. That way we know for certain you have a clean copy to work with. Once you have a setup that you know works inside and outside GameEx, then you can try the same setup with the mamearcade674.exe or any other types you want to try...at least you have a setup you can fall back on that works.

And by the way, don't give up quite yet.   :)   I would be really surprised if we cannot a version of mame working through GameEx. If you are willing to give it a go, we will keep plugging away at it.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

1 hour ago, RedDog said:

Hey GMT25,

I did do some testing with my rig on some ideas I thought might be the issue, but came up with nothing tangible. So here are a few more thoughts/questions:

Before, I thought your Rom path looked odd because it did not match the other paths in your config. Yesterday I realized that it was actually your rom path that looked right and the all the other paths that look odd. I tested it and believe that GameEx handles what you have ok, but to be safe, I wanted to ask you about it. You have your paths to your S-Drive listed as S:\\ instead of S:\. It's been a while since I have worked with path syntax, but I could not find a problem using the double slash in dos. On the off-chance that it does matter to GameEx, please remove that extra slash from the path in the GameEx Setup. After you make this chance,recompile your Mame Game list (it will likely ask you too anyway).

Also, I assume that there is nothing unusual about the S-Drive, correct? It is installed in your case or is an external drive.

In our private conversation, I had asked you why your mame file is named mamearcade64.exe since the page you pointed me to where you got your mame was mame.net and their releases are all named mame.exe. You did not make a comment on it. Unless you renamed your file yourself, I am tempted to suggest that you download a copy of mame0175b.exe for you as a test since it is the most basic version of mame 0.175 that there is. That way we know for certain you have a clean copy to work with. Once you have a setup that you know works inside and outside GameEx, then you can try the same setup with the mamearcade674.exe or any other types you want to try...at least you have a setup you can fall back on that works.

And by the way, don't give up quite yet.   :)   I would be really surprised if we cannot a version of mame working through GameEx. If you are willing to give it a go, we will keep plugging away at it.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

hiya bud, sorry about the late reply but i couldnt connect to hear. yep i did try a different mame from mame.net but still no change. The mamearcade64 was the 20 gig mamepack i got from this site. Yep the S drive is my external drive bud.  I've tried it with \\  and \ but stil makes no difference at all. I've tried 0.175 and still same problem. I'm stumped totally bud.

Using a single \ should be fine for direct mapped drives, regardless of network or device. So S:\ should be sufficient. \\ (with no drive letter) is only necessary when using a UNC path to a network source.

A suggestion to rule out an issue with the way the OS is connecting to the external drive, maybe setting up MAME locally on your C:\ drive and give the mame.exe local admin rights. Your ROMS can reside elsewhere, but initially, load a few ROMS locally on the C:\ drive and confirm that you can launch MAME outside of GameEx, then change your integrated MAME paths accordingly and update the list and try running from GameEx.

The last test would be to leave the MAME setup on C:\ but change the paths for the ROMS to where they reside on your S:\ drive. Launch outside of GameEx first, then change the paths in the integrated MAME setup, update your list, and try running from GameEx.

It is possible that you will have to run MAME from C:\ as opposed to the external drive S:\

52 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Using a single \ should be fine for direct mapped drives, regardless of network or device. So S:\ should be sufficient. \\ (with no drive letter) is only necessary when using a UNC path to a network source.

Cool, thanks for the info Draco. Since his Rom path is S:\ and his executable path is S:\\, it would be best to know the hard drive setup so they can be configured in the same way...just in case it does matter.

Thanks for the suggestion on setting up Mame on C:\ as well. I wish I would have considered that.

Thank you guys....I'm going to start again from fresh but what I'll do is install GameEx on my C: drive and see what happens, I'll just leave everything total default and pray to the gods. I'll get back to you both with my report :) 

I am still seeing everything for MAME going to paths starting with s:\\ . 

Have you tried installing MAME to c:\ as I had suggested? You should be able to keep else on s:\ for your ROM set,  snaps, etc. but correct your paths to remove the extra \ following s:\.

This is a great example on why we recommend official MAME builds, with default GE paths ^_^

This (from your .ini):

MAMEPath=S:\\Emulators\MAME

ROMPath=S:\\MAME ROMS

A double slash denotes a network drive, correct? If so you must give this drive admin permissions in order for GameEx to run correctly (or at least the folders it needs to access).

Another thing to consider, as you're running a non-supported version of MAME, is that the commands are compatible. Try running MAME outside of GameEx with the commands you have set in the .ini:

-nowindow -joy -skip_gameinfo

It may well be that your modded MAME doesn't like these commands.

16 hours ago, DazzleHP said:

This is a great example on why we recommend official MAME builds, with default GE paths ^_^

This (from your .ini):

MAMEPath=S:\\Emulators\MAME

ROMPath=S:\\MAME ROMS

A double slash denotes a network drive, correct? If so you must give this drive admin permissions in order for GameEx to run correctly (or at least the folders it needs to access).

Another thing to consider, as you're running a non-supported version of MAME, is that the commands are compatible. Try running MAME outside of GameEx with the commands you have set in the .ini:

-nowindow -joy -skip_gameinfo

It may well be that your modded MAME doesn't like these commands.

hello dazzle, yep someone had advised me to use 2 // but then tried without too. the mame I'm using is the mame from this site thats in the mame pack, I've tried installing mame on c drive but still the same problem, I have literally tried everything and have totally exhaused every avenue, I think i have to face facts and admit defeat that gameex isnt going to work for me but thank everyone for all the help given. 

@GMT25 I just put together a Mame Guide that you may find useful.

4 hours ago, GMT25 said:

... I think i have to face facts and admit defeat that gameex isnt going to work for me but thank everyone for all the help given. 

Don't give up on GameEx, Mame is a different kind of beast and it can be very confusing. I still have problems with it from time to time and don't get me started on romset updates, I can't figure that out for the life of me. I just want you to know that we all have met our match at one point or another in this hobby, mine is currently clrMAMEpro, your's is currently Mame. While I have tabled clrMAMEpro for the moment, I'll try again at some point. I hope you don't give up on Mame and especially not GameEx, even if you have to take a break for awhile. Why not focus on other emulators and systems and come back to Mame later when you have a better grasp of how GameEx works and a clear mind. We'll always be here to help you when you return.

Sincerely, RIP.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RIP-Felix said:

@GMT25 I just put together a Mame Guide that you may find useful.

Don't give up on GameEx, Mame is a different kind of beast and it can be very confusing. I still have problems with it from time to time and don't get me started on romset updates, I can't figure that out for the life of me. I just want you to know that we all have met our match at one point or another in this hobby, mine is currently clrMAMEpro, your's is currently Mame. While I have tabled clrMAMEpro for the moment, I'll try again at some point. I hope you don't give up on Mame and especially not GameEx, even if you have to take a break for awhile. Why not focus on other emulators and systems and come back to Mame later when you have a better grasp of how GameEx works and a clear mind. We'll always be here to help you when you return.

Sincerely, RIP.

Thanks RIP i really appreciate that :) 

• Like 1

RIP-Felix is right, MAME is one of trickiest emulators to grasp. It's not like standard emulators in any way, in fact i would go as far to call it an "anti-emulator" ^_^

Even now RIP-Felix is admitting defeat on the auditing side, yet another PITA part of keeping MAME working. Whom i would consider an intermediate/semi-pro MAME user!

It's not easy keeping MAME functional, and i would take Felix's advise: take a time-out and setup some of the more 'normal' emulators in GE. You'll not only find out how easy 'regular' emulators are to setup and run, but you'll also get to know GameEx itself better :)

PS: RIP-Felix - try RomCenter, it does all that clrMAMEpro does, but with a gui and clear instructions B)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DazzleHP said:

...PS: RIP-Felix - try RomCenter, it does all that clrMAMEpro does, but with a gui and clear instructions B)

That's really the last hurtle to overcome with MAME, I have a 161 romset and I'm getting by with that. I'll have to look at the list of added games in the update since then to see if there is anything that motivates me to try updating the romset again. Yeah, I have tried both. While I liked the RomCenter GUI better, I still scrambled my romset...lol. I'll have to take another look at it, but like I said, it's on the back burner for now, I'm not done simmering...pun intended:angry:...lol