All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Resolved] Mame error "Can't create Direct3D Device"

RIP-Felix

So I recently upgraded my computer to an Intel i7-4790K with integrated 4600 graphics. I did get a GTX 970 but returned it (Fan problem) and decided to wait until prices come down and stick with onboard graphics for the moment.

So here's the rub. I just got around to setting up MAME again and basically copied my exact settings from my previous "working" setup (complete with HDD paths and names). Everything is exactly the same as far as GameEx knows. That worked well for mostly everything, except the emus that required toe be installed on the OS drive (Project 64, Dolphin, and etc.) However, when I try to launch MAME the screen just goes black and MAME throws the "Can't Create Direct3D device" error. I can hover over the open window in the taskbar and it previews what's on the screen in MAME (the only way I can see the error message).

What I've Tried:

• C++ updates, these should all be updated as I just installed Visual Studio for application building which I think updates all of them.
  • DotNet framwork updates to latest from windows update.
  • Latest automatic updates and optional drivers etc. They should all be good.
  • Direct X runtimes. I tried the web installer and it said I had the latest version and then quit. Then I downloaded the "directx_Jun2010_redist" extracted to desktop, found and installed the "DXSetup.exe" within and updated them that way. Then I restarted the computer (as others have suggested). No luck.
  • I can run the MAMEUI64.exe manually from within the MAME folder (v.149) and it will launch and run the game fine. Just not from GameEx.
  • I went to Intel's website and downloaded their "Intel(R) Driver Update Utility 2.5" and it said there was an "Intel Graphics Driver for Windows 10/7/8.1." I thought that must be it, but it says my computer "does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software." i7-4790K + 16GB RAM + Samsung M.2 SSD? Does not meet minimum requirements? Give me a break!

Have any Ideas? I can Guarantee it's not an issue with my GameEx setup. It must be related to DirectX or video driver dependencies. I know that MAME added OpenGL support (yay) but I don't want to have to go through all the hassle of updating and compiling another version of MAME (I still can't figure out how to do it without screwing everything up, even after multiple reads through the tutorials for CLRmamepro). You all seem to do it so effortlessly, it makes me jealous. I know that a GPU would solve this, but I'm still waiting for prices to come down for the GTX 970.

EDIT:

I just tried Upfdating the video graphics driver in device manager as well, then restarted and it still throws the error. I also tried re-running intel's driver updater tool and it still won't install the driver they list. Not that it should matter, the device manager's updater and windows automatic updater should have that covered.

Hey Felix,

Sorry to hear you are struggling with your build. Please post your gamex.ini and log.txt file when you are looking for help with GameEx. In this case, please attempt to launch Mame within GameEx so that the log.txt file captures the attempt. It may not feel like it is necessary in this instance (since you feel the issue is from something outside GameEx), but you never know what information might help.

I doubt I will be of much help with your issue, but it may be helpful to someone else. Thanks.  :)

BTW, I used to be able to enclose these in spoiler quotes without having to upload the files, but the forum update has made it hard to do multiple spoiler quote without them nesting within one another. I wonder what that's all about.

Edit: Files redacted by OP

Ok, I figured it out. I had the GameEx.exe set to "windows 7 compatability mode" in properties because without it you can't capture an image with print screen (which I use to capture screenshots for theme editing purposes). Anyway, that is what was causing the issue. I've marked this thread Resolved.