All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

How to Categorise PC Games in Gameex

Geoffers08

Hi All,

I've played around with Gameex for a while, but never to much depth, until I started my new Mame cab build, so my apologies in advance if this is a newbie-esq question.

I have managed (over the last two months) to download a wadge (about 400) free PC games, that I would like to add to my Mame Cab PC.

I have added these to Gameex, largely by directly adding each to my Gameex config file

Example of one game:

Enabled_172=True
name_172=Crime Patrol (LaserDisc Shooter)
path_172=H:\CrimePatrol
cmd_172=CP.exe
snap_172=
showdesktop_172=True
mapkeys_172=
WaitBeforeKeys_172=6000
SendKeys_172="f"

I have a range of games, but mainlt PC remakes, and shoot-em ups.

I am trying to arrange these into categories for easier navigation in Gameex, so I can (for example) group all horizontal shooters together under one categorie, then vertical shooters, and so on.

I have been tinkering and tinkering, but don't seem to be able to find a way. 

Is there a simple way I can achieve this?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can give any advice.

Geoffers

Hi, the only way I know is to create a database (*.db3 file).

The database folder for Game Ex is in gameex/data/emulators and in the setup wizard you can join the database to your emulator.

It will take a looooot of time.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Morgoth32's solution would be one way of doing this, and would be a relatively sound solution.  As he mentioned, there would be a bit of a time investment.

As an alternative you could also (pick one):

1. Categorize games into separate directories
  2. Categorize games into separate Map files

And then for each desired category you could create a separate emulator slot in which the directory path/map file pointed to the proper category.  I think I like the database solution better, but this would be another option.