All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Making new server- needing advice from the pros

stigzler

Everything works?  That's awesome!  My turn again!

Should I upgrade my CPU or RAM next?  I've bought enough hard drives for the time being, and have 30tb of storage, about 3tb free.  When I built my server, I went with the cheapest CPU the mobo could run to make sure the mobo worked (there were reviews/reports that the mobo was 50/50 odds and I didn't want to risk expensive CPU's with no way to know which part of the server wasn't working right).  According to the manufacturer of my mobo, the best CPU I think it can handle is an E3 Xeon (link) but I'm not sure.  What do you guys think? (link)  The problem is, NewEgg reports a new version of this is available, but the socket seems different (LGA1150 vs LGA1151).  I'm also not sure if this IS the best.  According to the CPU Support List, it can actually run the E3-1286 (link) but who can afford that chunk of green on a CPU? ($1,015.23 + $79.99 Shipping).  Also, looking down the list, they show some Core i3's and Core i5's too.  Are they better, or are Xeon's truly the top of the line?  As for RAM, I'm already running 8gb of the Kingston ECC KVR16E11/8 (link) from their Memory QVL.. so the only thing I can do is buy more sticks to get up to 32.

Everything runs good now, but whenever I'm streaming I notice my CPU usage stays constantly over 90% usage, and spikes to 100% very frequently.  So I'm looking to drop that.  I've also noticed when I'm doing disk stuff, like PerfectDisk defragging, or StableBit Scanner sector checks, it takes a LOT of RAM usage.  So I'm not really sure which I should consider getting first/priority.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

Everything works?  That's awesome!  My turn again!

Should I upgrade my CPU or RAM next?  I've bought enough hard drives for the time being, and have 30tb of storage, about 3tb free.  When I built my server, I went with the cheapest CPU the mobo could run to make sure the mobo worked (there were reviews/reports that the mobo was 50/50 odds and I didn't want to risk expensive CPU's with no way to know which part of the server wasn't working right).  According to the manufacturer of my mobo, the best CPU I think it can handle is an E3 Xeon (link) but I'm not sure.  What do you guys think? (link)  The problem is, NewEgg reports a new version of this is available, but the socket seems different (LGA1150 vs LGA1151).  I'm also not sure if this IS the best.  According to the CPU Support List, it can actually run the E3-1286 (link) but who can afford that chunk of green on a CPU? ($1,015.23 + $79.99 Shipping).  Also, looking down the list, they show some Core i3's and Core i5's too.  Are they better, or are Xeon's truly the top of the line?  As for RAM, I'm already running 8gb of the Kingston ECC KVR16E11/8 (link) from their Memory QVL.. so the only thing I can do is buy more sticks to get up to 32.

Everything runs good now, but whenever I'm streaming I notice my CPU usage stays constantly over 90% usage, and spikes to 100% very frequently.  So I'm looking to drop that.  I've also noticed when I'm doing disk stuff, like PerfectDisk defragging, or StableBit Scanner sector checks, it takes a LOT of RAM usage.  So I'm not really sure which I should consider getting first/priority.

RAM. I was initially going to say CPU upgrade, but with the memory loads and streaming,  I think that you could use the overhead. At least double what you have now. Then a new CPU. Any quad core or more should serve you well, with the Xeon a very solid server CPU choice.

:P  I think I'm actually going to buy another stick of RAM (about $50) and the rack to put the server in.  I've been waiting for it to come down in price but it hasn't.  So I'm going to pull the trigger on it.  I'm just waiting to hear back from Norco on what mounting hardware I need to get.