All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Combining 3 different VP systems into one wheel menu?

TerryRed

I have three different Visual Pinball systems setup in my cabinet via Pinball X.

They are each labeled as VP9 tables, another is PM5 tables, and the last is VPX tables.

Each system is setup and works great. What I want to do is have all three systems show up in one combined system wheel called something like "VP ALL".

I made a duplicate of all 3 system's XML file (in their respective folder) and called it "VP ALL.xml". As a result I do get a combined new wheel menu that shows up called VP ALL that has the tables from all three systems....  so it does do what I want it to do. Only one problem...

I get 3 menus showing up with the name VP ALL instead of just one menu.

Am I doing this the right way or am I missing something?

I only have VP9.9 and Physmod and all I did was make a folder in c:\pinballX\database\ called "physmod."  I copied the .xml from the original database location to this folder as well, renamed to physmod.xml and edited with the tables I wanted.  Then I made the second "connection" inside of PinballX to point to physmod and mine all show on the one menu - not sure what that is called.  

But it sounds you copied the same .xml to all of your folders?  My database folders only have one .xml in each, which has the tables for that version of VP.

Can I see a screen shot of the "three menus" you are seeing?

Thanks.... I guess it would help if I read the manual....like a typical guy I have to do things the hard way sometimes....

I got it sorted out. I had the right idea with making a copy of each VP system's xml file and keeping them in their respective database. I just renamed them VP9 ALL.xml, PM5 ALL.xml, and VPX ALL.xml.... but what I was missing was the lovely feature called the "Manage Groups" button in the "Games Manager". I just used that to import each of my xml files into one Visual Pinball ALL "Group". This prevents each xml file from showing up in a separate menu, and also combines their contents into one menu / wheel. 

Fantastic feature TOM!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I saw this post. But how do you address the .exe file in the PBX setup since VP9, VP9PM and VP10 all have different .exe  files? I have my cab with theses three systems set up in a very cumbersome way using the "other systems" in the PBX setup. I would like to clean this mess up.

3 hours ago, wrd1972 said:

Glad I saw this post. But how do you address the .exe file in the PBX setup since VP9, VP9PM and VP10 all have different .exe  files? I have my cab with theses three systems set up in a very cumbersome way using the "other systems" in the PBX setup. I would like to clean this mess up.

37 minutes ago, Carny_Priest said:

Two ways.

Define different systems for each executable in pinballx.ini.

OR

Use only the main Visual Pinball system and the alternateexe tag in Visual Pinball.xml to override the choice of executable defined in pinballx.ini

Like what Carny said... I just defined my Visual Pinball system for VP X, then setup a separate system for VP9 and VP PM5 with the exact same settings in "other systems". The only difference was VP9 and VP PM5 pointed to a different exe. Nothing more to it than that. (I don't have Pinball X displaying B2S or PinMAME directly.... I just show videos while browsing. Nice and simple that way)

On 4/3/2016 at 11:32 AM, Carny_Priest said:

Use only the main Visual Pinball system and the alternateexe tag in Visual Pinball.xml to override the choice of executable defined in pinballx.ini

Carny,

Can I get a bit more detail on this. HTML is very unfamiliar to me.

I saw the .xml file you were speaking to with the many tables. But did not see any references to alternateexe tag. Is this something that needs to be added when needed to each table in the XML. If yes, would you please post an example of <<<any table> with and without the alternateexe reference?

Thanks

Bill

1 hour ago, wrd1972 said:

Carny,

Can I get a bit more detail on this. HTML is very unfamiliar to me.

I saw the .xml file you were speaking to with the many tables. But did not see any references to alternateexe tag. Is this something that needs to be added when needed to each table in the XML. If yes, would you please post an example of <<<any table> with and without the alternateexe reference?

Thanks

Bill

With:

Spoiler

<game name="24 (Stern 2009) freneticamnesic physmod5">
        <description>24 (Stern 2009)</description>
        <rom>twenty4_150</rom>
        <manufacturer>Stern</manufacturer>
        <year>2009</year>
        <type>SS</type>
        <hidedmd>True</hidedmd>
        <hidebackglass>False</hidebackglass>