All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

MAME folder snap vids not showing (folder categories)

SpyhunterUK

I am not exactly sure of what you are asking. You might want to give us a little bit more information about what you are trying to accomplish. As detailed as possible, please. Maybe attach some support files, such as you theme.ini file so we can see what you have started and try to give you some guidance if what you are asking is possible.

I have set up mame folders for categories etc and have these listed under the MAME emulator.  I have imges for each but how do I show video snaps for each, do I need to put them in another area within the Theme? 

GameEx generally supports videos over a snap within themes. You should be able to place any of the filenameBAK.png files with a similarly named filenameBAK.mp4 in the same Themes\YOURTHEMENAME\Media folder within the themand have the video play in place of the snap. For example, mamebak png is the background image file for the MAME section of the theme. Placing a video file named mamebak.mp4 in the same folder should play in the background. 

You also have to load your theme in Theme Editor and go to Edit>Video and select the section of the theme then Change to select the video of choice for the video. I do believe that there may be a limit as to how far down into submenus or categories from the main menu items you can select for this functionality so you will have to play a bit. 

One caveat to using videos as backgrounds is that it may tend to be resource intensive so having them running may induce a performance hit and cause other issues within GameEx and not appearing as crisp as running snaps as the background instead on a marginal system.

Thanks, I actually also meant the video snaps being shown are all the mame games rather than just those listed in the folder list/category.  So it only shows beat em ups, etc or one beatem up game... 

Hey SpyhunterUK,

If you check your MAME Settings Page, what location do you have for the Video Snap Path?

The default structure that GameEx uses should allow this to work (assuming you have it configured properly), meaning when your selection bar is on Spinner Games, you only see videos for Spinner Games, Golden Era only shows videos for Golden Era titles, etc.

You aren't by chance using Custom Menus to manually set up your mame categories?

• Like 1

Thanks.

It's linked to the correct vidsnaps and I am using custom menus but not for the mame stuff.  I am not using mame cateogies but custom folders (mame/folders) for the different game categories.  does that make sense.

I am guessing that you have something like this for your roms:

• Mame
    • Roms
      • fighting
      • racing
      • sports
      • underwaterprofessionalbasketweaving

Then again, I really don't like guessing. I would rather you provide an example or pics of the custom category folders for your roms and video files.

Also, would you please post your GameEx.ini? Your issue is beginning to sound more like a GameEx-config-thing than a theme-thing.   :)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RedDog said:

I am guessing that you have something like this for your roms:

• Mame
    • Roms
      • fighting
      • racing
      • sports
      • underwaterprofessionalbasketweaving

Then again, I really don't like guessing. I would rather you provide an example or pics of the custom category folders for your roms and video files.

Also, would you please post your GameEx.ini? Your issue is beginning to sound more like a GameEx-config-thing than a theme-thing.   :)

I seem to recall asking for as much detail as possible. ;) Also, your custommenu.ini file might need to be reviewed. If the example is like what RedDog is suggesting, it may not be possible to set up what you are attempting without staging MAME as separate emulators for each category you are attempting to stage. Of course, if you are going that route, then you will lose much of the integrated MAME support features that you may presently enjoy..