All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

To boldly go... 50th Anniversary Star Trek

ClassicGMR

There's a lot planned for this year's 50th Anniversary. I have to admit though - of all the things I would like to see this has me the most excited. I don't know why but I cannot wait to see the old girl flying proudly once again. :)

Restoration of Star Trek's Original Enterprise

ncc-1701_original_series_top_view.jpg

All I want to see is the continuation of their efforts to bring the series to BluRay. They have Enterprise obviously, and the Original Series and Next Gen (plus all the movies). But I'm still waiting for them to do Deep Space Nine and Voyager. I read that they too want to do it, but the cost of such a task is too high if there isn't much demand for it. So the studios sent out a press release saying that if enough people buy their current BluRay releases, they'll give it serious reconsideration. The problem with DS9 and Voyager is that all of the special effects were done in a computer rather than with models, so they'd all have to be redone using today's technology to be rendered in a higher resolution. That, and all of the editing was done on magnetic tape (aka, VHS), so none of the final cut film exists. They have film negatives though, so it's possible to scan and re-expose the films and make a new cut. It will just take an enormous amount of time, which costs money. I'm doing my part. I have 1 more season of Next Gen to buy, then all I have left is Enterprise.

The other thing I'm vaguely excited about is their plans to go back and make a new show. I think it's scheduled to come out next year. There's a few negative catches though. First of all, the show is being written and produced by the same people who did the J. J. Abrams reboot. So expect a lot of canon altering nonsense. The other more devastating news about the new show is that it will only be available online via streaming, using CBS's pay-to-watch streaming service. That might be the killer right there. I don't think it's right having to pay to watch a show that might turn out to be crap. And if CBS/Paramount don't make enough money with subscribers, they'll cancel the show within the first 3-4 episodes, then decide to permanently Star Trek altogether thinking nobody wants to watch it anymore. When in reality, it's just nobody wants to pay for it. There was an argument about that somewhere, where they were trying to tell me that if nobody wants to pay, it means nobody wants to watch, so it's true. If you want to see it, you'll pay to see it regardless. But I argue that's not true at all, because I want to see it, and don't want to pay for it.

But anyway... Happy Anniversary Star Trek!

• Like 1