All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Problems with SSF and newest version of GameEx

jombee

My guess is its a windows change or a codec change.

I mean 13.08 is three years old. Can anyone be sure its been working in the last three years?

When I launch SSF outside of GameEx its not even getting far like that as I am missing all the directx dlls for it. So its something quite strange going on.

13 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

I mean 13.08 is three years old. Can anyone be sure its been working in the last three years?

When I launch SSF outside of GameEx its not even getting far like that as I am missing all the directx dlls for it. So its something quite strange going on.

Thank you for looking into this Tom. Outside of gx my ssf runs fine though. Plus if I put it to run before gx starts in the advance config, it will start and run with it. But not if gx is fully started.

35 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

Hi Tom,

Are you using Windows 7 64?

SSF works perfectly outside of GameEx for me.

Based on the recent posts regarding SSF, I would assume that whatever the charge was, it must have been fairly recent.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Yep, I found exactly the same. I am just not sure what has changed so its not working now. I mean I tried a version of GX that is almost exactly three years old and it has the same issue.

To confirm I am on windows 10 but experience exactly the same. I can also confirm it was working at some point as it was already set up in my development stuff so I would have tested it.

14 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

Yep, I found exactly the same. I am just not sure what has changed so its not working now. I mean I tried a version of GX that is almost exactly three years old and it has the same issue.

To confirm I am on windows 10 but experience exactly the same. I can also confirm it was working at some point as it was already set up in my development stuff so I would have tested it.

Hi Tom,

I just located GameEx 14.09 on the web, downloaded and installed it, and SSF runs fine with GameEx 14.09

I'm still searching for a more recent version.

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

24 minutes ago, jombee said:

Hi Tom,

I just located GameEx 14.09 on the web, downloaded and installed it, and SSF runs fine with GameEx 14.09

I'm still searching for a more recent version.

Thanks!

Hi Tom,

I just located GameEx version 14.32 on the web, download and installed it.

SSF works perfectly with GameEx version 14.32!

I cannot find any version more recent.

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

A quick question for all those that are experiencing the crash of SSF, what virtual drive software are you using?

At HK's request, I examined the processes in depth in ProcMon, and found this,

50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	Thread Create		SUCCESS	Thread ID: 10720
50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	IRP_MJ_CREATE	V:	SHARING VIOLATION	Desired Access: Generic Read/Write, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, AllocationSize: n/a
50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	Thread Exit		SUCCESS	Thread ID: 10720, User Time: 0.0000000, Kernel Time: 0.0000000
50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	Thread Exit		SUCCESS	Thread ID: 4920, User Time: 1.1093750, Kernel Time: 0.0156250
50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	Thread Exit		SUCCESS	Thread ID: 8284, User Time: 0.0156250, Kernel Time: 0.0000000
50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	Thread Exit		SUCCESS	Thread ID: 29712, User Time: 0.0000000, Kernel Time: 0.0000000
50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	Thread Exit		SUCCESS	Thread ID: 27980, User Time: 0.0000000, Kernel Time: 0.0000000
50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	RegCloseKey	HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Direct3D	SUCCESS	

Uninstalling (yes, I know it is not much help for an emulator that needs a virtual drive) VirtualCloneDrive fixed the issue at least. SSF and GX now play nicely together again (also, SSF opens to full window a lot quicker).

So, is it just VirtualCloneDrive or all virtual drive software?

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:20 PM, Zyon2323 said:

I tried it using every mounting configuration possible, Same result. Both using deamon and VCD.

Can you try uninstalling whatever virtual drive software you are using and then ,

Run GX in a window,
Launch SSF.

See if it then runs alongside GX? I know you cannot then run a game, this is just to isolate the issue. If all Virtual Drive software is affected (and it runs when the software is uninstalled), then we are getting somewhere!

/side note: It could be that VCD itself is the problem. For those of you who tried several, if you had VCD installed somewhere and just weren't using it, that would further the theory.

I only use DTools, never even installed anything else. And SSF works for me.

I'm pretty sure that GameEx relied on VCD for quite a while, so maybe the issue is with those of you who used/installed GameEx internal mounting support?

I added support for mounting images using Windows 10's built in virtual drive support in Evo and I believe Tom added support soon after for GameEx. Does SSF work with an image mounted using Windows 10? If it does there should be no need for any virtual drive software for Windows 10 users.

Sadly Win10 mounting only supports ISO, everything I have is cue/bin. I could convert one tomorrow and try though. But even so, I don't fancy converting several hundred images.

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:35 PM, Adultery said:

/side note: It could be that VCD itself is the problem. For those of you who tried several, if you had VCD installed somewhere and just weren't using it, that would further the theory.

I only use DTools, never even installed anything else. And SSF works for me.

I'm pretty sure that GameEx relied on VCD for quite a while, so maybe the issue is with those of you who used/installed GameEx internal mounting support?

It could well be just an issue with VCD, though the same issue has been mentioned using DT as well, though that may not be the case.

I prefer to use VCD myself as it is tidy, compact, and comes with 0 'extras', unlike the tons of things wrapped in a DT install.

2 hours ago, greatflash said:

Can you try uninstalling whatever virtual drive software you are using and then ,

Run GX in a window,
Launch SSF.

See if it then runs alongside GX? I know you cannot then run a game, this is just to isolate the issue. If all Virtual Drive software is affected (and it runs when the software is uninstalled), then we are getting somewhere!

I have confirmed this as well. I uninstalled VCD and ssf runs inside gx. So, its something between newer gx and VCD?

3 hours ago, headkaze said:

I added support for mounting images using Windows 10's built in virtual drive support in Evo and I believe Tom added support soon after for GameEx. Does SSF work with an image mounted using Windows 10? If it does there should be no need for any virtual drive software for Windows 10 users.

What version was this added? Maybe that's whats messing it up? Could we get a version without this for non win10 users?

I have confirmed this as well. I uninstalled VCD and ssf runs inside gx. So, its something between newer gx and VCD?

Actually I'm thinking it's something between SSF and VCD. Does it work if you use DTools?

On 3/19/2016 at 6:15 PM, greatflash said:

A quick question for all those that are experiencing the crash of SSF, what virtual drive software are you using?

At HK's request, I examined the processes in depth in ProcMon, and found this,

50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	Thread Create		SUCCESS	Thread ID: 10720
50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	IRP_MJ_CREATE	V:	SHARING VIOLATION	Desired Access: Generic Read/Write, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, AllocationSize: n/a
50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	Thread Exit		SUCCESS	Thread ID: 10720, User Time: 0.0000000, Kernel Time: 0.0000000
50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	Thread Exit		SUCCESS	Thread ID: 4920, User Time: 1.1093750, Kernel Time: 0.0156250
50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	Thread Exit		SUCCESS	Thread ID: 8284, User Time: 0.0156250, Kernel Time: 0.0000000
50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	Thread Exit		SUCCESS	Thread ID: 29712, User Time: 0.0000000, Kernel Time: 0.0000000
50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	Thread Exit		SUCCESS	Thread ID: 27980, User Time: 0.0000000, Kernel Time: 0.0000000
50:56.8	SSF.exe	27952	RegCloseKey	HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Direct3D	SUCCESS	

Uninstalling (yes, I know it is not much help for an emulator that needs a virtual drive) VirtualCloneDrive fixed the issue at least. SSF and GX now play nicely together again (also, SSF opens to full window a lot quicker).

So, is it just VirtualCloneDrive or all virtual drive software?

I use DTools to mount the image, but I don't think this issue has anything to do with virtual drives/mounting.

Also, I do not have VCD installed.

If you just run the executable (SSF.exe), without any virtual drive/image outside of GameEx, the Saturn Bios splash screen comes up, then you get the console with the "drive empty" message (just like you would on an actual Saturn).

If you change the command line in GameEx config of the emulator to just SSF.exe, exactly the same thing happens in versions below 14.32 (Saturn Bios splash, "drive empty" message) - it works fine!

When you do this same exact thing with newer versions of GameEx, you can see the SSF.exe window open briefly, then it gets killed right away and returns to GameEx. 

No virtual drives are involved.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Update: thought I would play around with this again since I updated my cpu, mb, and gpu (not changing windows 7 though). I tried the new 14.48 and still get the ssf kill action. Went back to 14.33 and it works fine. Just an FYI.

On 18 March 2016 at 10:14 PM, Zyon2323 said:

With a little searching, I found 14.33, installed it and it worked great! So its narrowed down between 14.33-14.43.

It had already been mentioned that .32 and .33 appear to work fine.