All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Launching in to PinballX from hyperpin?

empireguitar

Good afternoon all,

Firstly, apologies in advance if the answer to this is found elsewhere here; I couldn't find it.

I can sum up my situation as follows:

I recently bought a Virtual Pinball cab from someone, it's a fairly nice two monitor set-up, and it came with Hyperpin installed (Which launches on start up), with a bunch of Future Pinball tables set up (I've not been very impressed with FP; the physics are terrible - I may go back to it later and mess with BAM etc, however I'm enjoying Visual Pinball and Pinball FX much more).

I am at the stage where I'm able to exit out of Hyperpin (by plugging in a keyboard,) and then use a mouse to start other pinball programmes.

As I have some tables set up now in Visual pinball (with back glasses etc), my next step is to install PinballX, so that I can launch Visual Pinball and PinballX tables (I also play to install a Jukebox programme and some vertical monitor MAME games)

By the looks of it, Hyperpin is set to load upon start up, and also I notice that JoytoKey also starts (as I can see it when I exit out of HyperPin).

I am worried about setting PinballX to boot upon startup and mess with JoytoKey etc.

As a bit of a safety plan, I thought that it might be best to keep the cab booting in to HyperPin, but then have an option in HyperPin to launch Pinball X? (I can also then still play the future pinball tables for now - configure them with pinball X later if I like).

My main questions are; is this possible?, and also, would this use up a lot of system resources? (as in, if I started Pinball X from HyperPin, would HyperPin still be running in the background and slow down my machine?.

Alternatively, could I just install Pinball X to run at start up, and chose to also run JoytoKey at the same time? (I'm not sure if Joytokey is running at startup via a separate script, or if Hyperpin is telling the machine to launch Joytokey).

Any help would be much appreciated; many thanks in advance.

To be honest, I would caution launching a frontend via another frontend as you are likely to encounter a host of resource and focus issues. Better to start to Windows and invoke the FE's independently while you are exploring PinballX setup. I would also recommend thoroughly reviewing the document on how to setup PinballX found here. While it is a little dated, the majority of the document still applies to the overall setup of things, especially when it comes to using the paths for an exisiting HyperPin installation.

Thanks for the advice Draco; I think what i will do, is install PinballX (but not to have it start upon system boot), set up Visual Pinball, Future Pinball and PBFX2 etc, then look in to exactly how JoytoKey is being used/started upon system boot, and see if i need to get PinballX to start it upon Boot.

Once that's all sorted, i can look into deactivating the HyperPin start up, and setting PinballX to start upon system boot (Which i understand is a simple option to tick in the set-up menu).