All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Is it me or has HTML5 just sent the internet back to 2001?

stigzler

Actually HTML5 is much better than the previous incarnations. The problem is that some designers/programmers continue to program in HTML5 formatting chores (following previous HTML conventions) that should be handled via CSS3 or javascript and let the HTML5 coding form the "backbone" or structure for pages. Add to that the "script monkeys" that don't thoroughly test the code they ripped from elsewhere and there are going to be issues.

The "tablet centric" pages are an attempt to code once to satisfy all devices rather than program a site twice to accomodate device specifics.

I actually really dig HTML5. We're redesigning a lot of our sites at the job to provide support for responsive theming. It's nice to be able to make something work on several devices instead of hoping everything pans out on every device. :)

No seriously - the web's going to s**t over the past 6 months. pop-ups and ads are everywhere (even at the top of gameex I notice!) and whilst I appreciate the idea of sites being compatible across different device types, it just doesn't work out that way - I'm getting horrid html5 pop-over ads and image viewers crashing my phone browsers; firefox has started getting unreliable (it's been the best and nice and stable for past 2 years) and browsers on my tablet keep freezing.

Whilst I don't understand the code behind html - I'm guessing the motivation - greed. Someone made a lot of money and it wasn't artisans or creatives. The internet's gone to junk and someone let it happen......

Now... I must look into giffgaff mobile for only £10 a month (ad at the bottom of this page now, I see!)

It's all horrendously dystopian. (unbelievably - "dystopian" shows as a spelling error! the thought police are even onto that one!)

urgh. Modern living. :(