All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Steam troubles

Ginsonic

Hi all,

I recently activated Steam support in GameEx and nearly everything works flawlessly, except one thing:

When I choose a steam game, it starts normally. After exactly 45 seconds GameEx frontend returns, the game keeps on running in the background.

This happens on any Steam game.

When I manually quit the game within those 45 seconds, the game process closes, but it also needs several seconds until GameEx returns.

When starting e.g. MAME games, everything works without any troubles.

Here is my log:

obsolete !

The wrapper starting before (an own wrapper) has no effects on this behaviour, I already tried without !

Thanks in advance for your help !

You may need to run a batch file in your Launch After portion of the integrated Steam settings to kill the Steam.exe

@echo offTASKKILL /F /IM Steam.exeexit

Copy the above into Notepad and save it as killsteam.bat . You will then use Setup Wizard to navigate to the Steam settings and put the file path\name in the Launch After via Setup Wizard, then click next arrow to save.

Thanks for your answer, I tried, but unfortunately no effect.

After 45 seconds GameEx reappears and Steam game keeps on running in the background.

I fear, that a "launch after" command will not help, since it launches after quitting the game, not after starting it.

OK, I had to reread your OP. If I understand correctly, you are saying that GameEx returns after you have started the game in Steam, essentially covering up your game instead of staying focused on the game. Can you provide a copy of your gameex.ini file please?

Exactly, this is my problem ! Sorry for the misunderstanding, English is not my native language ;)

It always happens after 45 seconds (regardless which Steam game), it could be a kind of timeout.
One further note: when GameEx comes to front, the LedBlinky plugin also changes back to FE mode !

Here is the GameEx.ini:

Obsolete !

I think that the misunderstanding was mine - your English is fine.

Not sure if this is the issue or not. I am assuming that this is not a touch-enabled machine (monitor, tablet, or laptop). In Setup Wizard, locate the Touchscreen section, set it to False to disable, click next arror to save.

Let me know if that helps. BTW, nice choice of themes! ;)

I tried to modify the touchscreen settings (touchscreen was already disabled in the setup wizard) and set everything to false, unfortunately no effect again. GameEx always comes back to front after 45 seconds.

Now I will try to make a full image backup and reinstall GameEx, maybe this will help...

I will report, if the behaviour has changed after reinstalling.

Update:

I made a full clean GameEx reinstall (deleted every trace in registry and on harddisk) and I activated only the Steam games in the setup.

Same result, GameEx returns after 45 seconds, Steam game keeps on running in the background !

Next I will restore a system image from june...

Update 2:

Before restoring the old image, I tried to include the Steam games quick and dirty as a custom emulator (using fake rom folder).

When I start the games from the emulator, GameEx actually does not return after the usual time, so it must be related to the integrated Steam support !

Hi Ginsonic,

Just out of curiosity what happens when you run the game from GameEx without the wrapper?

13:27:30.4 23.07.2015: Also Launching: C:\Spiele\Tools\Steam_Wrappers\94200.exe

[steam]
LaunchBefore=C:\Spiele\Tools\Steam_Wrappers\[ROM].exe

Does it run any differently if you put your wrapper(s) in the default GameEx location for Steam wrappers (and remove the Launch Before setting)? The default location for this is:
\GameEx\MEDIA\STEAM\WRAPPERS

I'm wondering whether the wrapper(s) are making things go all catty whompus.

I think this is because the in game overlay is turned off. GameEx relies on this being turned on (within steam) to know when the game has exited.

Hi Tom,

I think, you are absolutely right ! Yesterday I followed couslev's marvellous guide (http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/9624-guide-steam-in-gameex/) and activated the game overlay like described. Now everything works flawlessly :)

But, no bad without any good, I reinstalled GameEx from the scratch and cleared up some old waste, all shining bright and new now :D

Thanks for your help, maybe sometimes I can give something back !